Kitten

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Well it's official. Me and Damini are getting a kitten. I made the foolish promise some time ago that she could get a kitten once we got back from our holiday in the USA. I'd kind of hoped she'd forgotten or something but today she came home from a shopping trip with a tonne of cat stuff....

A playground thingy, a bowl, a collar, food, a carrying basket thingy, more food, a floor mat for the bowel and christ knows what else... I'm afraid to look in the rest of the bags.

So then she tells me they were in pet world and she over heard this woman talking to her daughter about having to get rid of their kittens cos they had too many. So Lou saw this as fate and sparked up a conversation with her.

This resulted in her bringing home the above kit and us driving out into the middle of nowhere this afternoon to check out some kittens. I made her promise that even if she se ther heart on one we must leave empty handed to talk about it. I was impressed, she'd kept to her promise.

So anyway, we get home and tbfh I was a big softy and my resolve broke in about 20 minutes. So she phoned them back and told them we'd be round in the morning.

So all evening she's been going on about kittens and printing off lists of names for me to choose from. I'm not totally up on my cat breeds but I think it's a silver tabby we've decided on. There's 2 females amongst them and Lou wants a female so I guess it's one of those. It's sort of striped light and dark grey.

The kids, a boy and girl, at the house with the kittens seemed a bit unhinged. They were picking up the cats rather roughly and not being all that gentle with them so I see it as more of a rescue than a purchase.

Well I best get to bed, I can't put off tomorrow much longer. Oh and I put up a folding shower guard/door/thing today so I can't have a decent shower till tomorrow night at the earliest so this woman's going to think we're scum. lol.

So anyway, names for the cat....? I like Guinness and Trevot (hey, it's doesn't know it's a boy's name!)

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Poison/Remedy. Yin/Yang.

I've also considered naming my pet Nemesis, when/if I get one. I've also called other peoples' pets Nemesis, when they weren't around. :(

babs

Can't get enough of FH
We've had a cat for about 7 years now, and in the last few months a stray has made himself at home too so we now have another. Cutest liitle chap you ever saw, but a bad mood. He's ginger so his name is *drumroll* ginger. The other cat has never really had a name, I used to call him steve but my other half is having none of it. I now call him cat-face.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Dont force a name til you have had the cat a "wee" while - the name will come naturally.

heres some tips (from experience)

1. Dont feed kittens ice cream. They love it, but it gives them the runs and they will drag their bum over the floor trying to wipe it clean.
2. Dont toss anything at the bin whilst the cat is looking - more often than not the cat will jump in after it.
3. Watch your feet when you wander about the house in the early a.m - you dont know what you might step in.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Gotta say there great fun in all honesty the wife hated the idea of getting a cat but she let me take a cat in that was being abused by its owner.

When we got her though we found out she was pregnant and she had kittens, when the wife seen the kittens she was like omg keep them all there so cute.

So now I have 6 cats ranging from 1-2 years old, 3 boys and 3 girls.

Mitch, Victor and Ethan make up the male half and Saffron, Cally and Lea make up the females.

There all good fun in there own little way. And they make you smile more often than not.

Make sure you get it a scratchy pole if Lou has not already, otherwise your furniture will get it. In the case of it sratching or doing things where you dont want it to, there is a spray you can buy from pet world that you spray in the area the cat is scratching/having a wee or poo and it stops the cat from doing it, it is very good for training the kitten.

Make sure you get her the snip aswell otherwise you'll have a batch of kittens to find homes for.

Ayway have fun with your kitten.

Stephen

Damini

Part of the furniture
Oh, believe me, I have scratchy pole paradise complete with sleepy hole and dangly mouse. I'm nothing if not a compulsive spender.

I'm leaning towards the name Mrs Meowface.

Vae

Resident Freddy
My family seems to have a tradition in naming cats: Brandy, Gin-gin, Whisky but wouldn't let me name the next one Vodka :( However I did manage to call the next one they got Scallywag so got my way in something :)

Damini

Part of the furniture
We're only getting one (wait a couple weeks for me to wear Kenny down, and we'll reassess)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Get a female, let it have kittens, keep one and sell the rest, you could be in profit.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Lester called his cat....erm.....Cat.

I don't think it matters what name you give a cat, they will never listen to you anyways.

Call it what I called my son after he was born - Megatron.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Always keep the toilet seat closed.
Always check washing machine/tumble dryer before switching on.

Not observing above can result in soggy dead kitten.

Get a scratching post if you haven't already. The use of a bell on our cats collar has reduced the number of bird/small mammal fatalities dramatically.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I wonder if Damini will be into cat scat like your mrs was Yucky.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Our cat is so fat that his neck is wider than his head, so collars are off within a day.

If (when) they get a cut that looks swollen in any way, shape or form get them to the vets pronto. Ours had a small nick near his ear which swelled enough for me to call him John Merrick. One day he walked past sounding happy, and it had burst. Cleaning streams of green pus off his face and squeezing the rest of it out whilst trying to hold him still and get some savlon on it is NOT nice.

Cats are cute but beastly little buggers.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You should get two, two kittens playing together is hilarious. Good company for eachother when you're both out as well, they don't get lonely.

G

As i have said on numerous occasions,

CATS ARE THE SPAWN OF SATAN

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
you're both clearly deluded. cats rock! both to play with and to eat!

Chilly

Balls of steel
the play isnt really play, its just exercise to fatten them up for the spit roast!

Athan

Resident Freddy
If you get a collar, get a quick-release one so they don't end up strangling themselves if it ever gets stuck on something. Also, instead of a collar you can, and should anyway, get the cat microchipped, so if it is ever lost/injured anyone taking it to a vet or reputable organisation will result in it being scanned and you being contacted.

And have fun flea treating and deworming it (Tiger is due his first flea treatment from us this Friday, the only other cat I used Frontline on HATED it, so it could prove 'fun').

To the poster suggesting to let it have kittens *NO* *NO* *NO*. There are far too many stray and unwanted cats (and dogs) around already, don't add to the problem. Sure, Tiger is 5-7 years old already (we rehomed him from Battersea a few weeks ago), and we missed out on the kitten stage, but he's still a lovely uber affectionate kitty that we wouldn't give up for anything.
I'd definitely urge anyone looking for a cat to check out places like Battersea Dogs & Cats Home first. In the case of Battersea the cat will either be neutered/spayed already or if too young you'll get a voucher for them to do it free when it's old enough. You get a starter pack of food, it'll have been flea treated, dewormed, teeth taken care of and microchipped. Oh and 3 months free vet treatment if needed, but get the cat registered with a vet close to you ASAP in case of emergencies anyway (and get pet insurance!). And it's one less homeless cat in the world.

-Ath

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Athan said:
To the poster suggesting to let it have kittens *NO* *NO* *NO*.

In support of my case I offer Exhibit "B"

d1e58434c18104a85952544436b79921.jpg

"Bob" at 10 days old.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
The kitten is re-homed!

I'll post pics soon when I can get it to stay still long enough or not hide behind/under something. :) Tis so cute, she's been exploring but is still rather scared and already found a place that we need to seal up under the sink. :)

EDIT:

kitten1.jpg

kitten2.jpg

And a vid in 3gp (mobile phone) format. You can play it in Realplayer or Quicktime with the right plugin.....
http://www.aotp25.dsl.pipex.com/kittenvid.3gp

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Had a few problems uploading there. Should all work now!

The crap you can see in the hallway is cos we're still shifting unwanted stuff out into the garage/bin. "see can sunday, get cat monday"

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Eeee...sooo cute!!

Shame when they get to 16yrs+ they have a permanent "fuck off, i'm sleeping" look on their face. :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Make sure that it doesn't try to walk across a bit of paper thats sticking out from the edge of a table, they have a habit of falling off :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Damini said:
Oh, believe me, I have scratchy pole paradise complete with sleepy hole and dangly mouse.

Heh, my mate has exactly the same one for his mates. It's very posh - the problem is, his cats don't care for it. They much prefer the furniture :\

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom