Kingdom of Heaven

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Just been to a preview screening this morning - thanks Sky TV :)

A film to admire rather than necessarily like I think. It looks fabulous - as you'd expect from the Director of Gladiator and Black Hawk Down, and you wouldn't mistake it for any other director. The cinematography, the set designs, the battle scenes, all absolutely top drawer. But I think its more like Black Hawk Down than Gladiator in that it lacks...soul or heart or something. I didn't really care too much about the characters; certainly not Orlando Bloom's (not that he was bad in it or anything, it was more to do with the script than his qualities as an actor). As you'd expect, the Christians come off looking worse, but Scott's pretty even handed, showing ethical men and fanatics on both sides, and you'd have to be pretty dumb to take offence.

I'd definitely recommend seeing it, but more for the spectacle than the script

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Saw it today.

'tis very good. A bit wishy-washy in general, but beautifully shot and the CGI backdrops look excellent.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
The following is my 3 letter review of Kingdom of Heaven.

Meh.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
I saw it 3 days ago. Its was ok. It started out very well, but got a little boring. The end was pretty good though

leggy

Probably Scottish
Boring.

My 1 word review.

I felt no empathy towards any single character. The plot was a snorefest. Pretty scenes will not save a film.

When will we get past the mindset that 'cinematography' (I fucking detest that word) makes the film. What ever happened to this little thing I like to call 'A Story'?

Talivar

Part of the furniture
All ppl are differant tho, i personally watch a film for visual and audio stimulation and i read books for story:)

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Great film, but the end was a little weak. A film to make you think about world religions, about people's relationships with each other, about what it means to be noble or good. One to buy and to keep there methinks.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Maybe.

It was still below par for Ridley Scott though.

It was not like I didnt enjoy it. It just didnt have that something extra. The thing that invokes emotion.

It was nice too look at, it just didn't have any soul. I love Ridley Scott and Gladiator is one of my favourite films ever. If there was ever an argument for the 'X Factor', Kingdom of Heaven and Gladiator would be included.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Tbh, I think it was par for Ridley Scott now. Looking over his bio - I can only see two films of his which I think of as utter classics - Alien and Blade Runner. All of his other films are *good*, and compared to your average hollywood tripe they're great. Tbh I felt similarly about Gladiator as I did about thisun, pretty, fun but ultimately lacking. He does great battles, Black Hawk Down was testament to that too but they're just not as good as the above two (dare I say it? yes I do) masterpieces.

Pah fleh meh. </1am mumblings>

leggy

Probably Scottish
no no I totally agree.

Black hawk down was exactly the same: brilliant looking with no substance.

I only disagree with gladiator though. Dont know why, I just loved it.

It's like Alien I suppose. I have only ever rated Aliens. It's not rational thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom