Competition Keyboard Stands (and speakers)!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I got me a Roland RD-300SX keyboard (without the hot chick), but since the move to a new gaff I've no place to put it, so I'm going to have to purchace a stand.

I want something uber-sturdy (can't have the thing wobbling whilst hammering away) and I want to be able to augment with a stand for a laptop (a big 17"-screen'd-un).

I do not want an all-singing all-dancing madman's music station with space for 3 keyboards - I do not want to break the (already broken) bank.

Whilst I'm at it I could do with some speakers. I had it wired into my 'puter upstairs previously and it's got an old 2.1 Altec Lansang jobby attached that I bought in 1993 (when things were still of reasonable quality and built to last last) - and am wondering whether to bring them downstairs and purchace a new set for the 'puter or whether to buy something nice(ish) for the piano.

Speakers are an aside - the keyboard stand is the important thing - and I want it NOW!

Helps! :)

As this thread is a Compo here's the prizes:

For a Win (correct advice given): You get a very big thank you from me. Cool huh?!

For a Lose (incorrect advice): Men* get their scrotum's slit open, a hornet popped in and a quick staple-job. Women get a hammer in the mams.

*Obviously the prizes are reversed for Wij.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Any X-stand should suffice. Try Dolphin Music.

Being short of space, I took a different approach. I have two small sets of drawers on my desk at home. I put a piece of wood (what should have been a shelf) across the two of them and my keyboard sits comfortably on this and I can batter it as hard as I want without fear of slippage.

The other main advantage of this type of setup is that its very close to my main PC, so I can work in my DAW and have easy access to the keyboard to play without moving.

Can't recommend speakers because it totally depends on budget. Decent monitor speakers will set you back £700 but obviously you can comprimise downwards if you are not so serious about balanced unmodified sound.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Any X-stand should suffice.

Really? There's fuckloads of them ranging from about 20 quid to 80 quid.

Surely some of them are much more sturdy? I don't want to be banging at the ends and have the thing wobbling on me and like I said, I'd like the option to add a decent laptop stand to the thing too...

Not going to be spending anywhere near that on speakers tbfh. Just need to hear the thing reasonably well. Ain't performing for anyone but me ;)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
A cheapo stand will wobble all over the place. You need to get something heavy, with decent hinges.

The best thing you can do is find somewhere like Sound Control, go in and see what they've got. There's no substitute for putting a keyboard on a fat desk though.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Aye if you want a lappy on there too an X-stand won't cut it. You'd probably have to go to a full rack-type setup, which will be expensive. I'll take a pic of my setup when I get home from work tomorrow morning. Big desk/workbench is probably more sturdy and cost-effective, though it doesn't have the pose value. Unless you're going to be gigging it shouldn't really matter :)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Ok here it is. Don't expect it to be too pretty. My office is getting re-organized this year. There'll be a proper work bench with raised area for the monitors and keyboard. Despite how it looks its extremely stable and I do sometimes batter the shit out of my keyboard.

DSCN0582.JPG

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Please either use Synergy or get a KVM, Roo. Seeing doubled-up keyboards and mice like that makes me cry a little bit on the inside. :)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Please either use Synergy or get a KVM, Roo. Seeing doubled-up keyboards and mice like that makes me cry a little bit on the inside. :)

Possibly after I refurb that room but not for a while, if at all. The PC on the left will likely be moved to another part of the room and likely become headless, I'll use RDP to access it .Mainly I just wanted to show the music keyboard itself and where it sits in relation to my main PC for easy access :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom