Kemor - We would like some more exact information.

Marcus75

Fledgling Freddie
The lag in the ToA zones, the expansion many have bought one, two or even three copies of, is unacceptable - we pay to be able to play and deserve an eta on the fix/Prydwen upgrade. As it is now alot of stuff is impossible to do and hunts end up in anger due to the current state of this server.

Lets put the cards on the table and drop the vague "in the coming weeks" reply since paying for the expansion dosnt mean we wanna be forced to play SI or classic just because the server cant hack it.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Pudzy said:
Opentransit.

but surely opentransit would affect everyone? and its just toa zones lagging (in mid anyway) been playing with no more problems than usual with SI client :p

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Ormorof said:
but surely opentransit would affect everyone? and its just toa zones lagging (in mid anyway) been playing with no more problems than usual with SI client :p
Aye can run in Df with toa client without the crappy lag we get in Toa zones. And some Toa zones are worse than others.

Smurflord

Fledgling Freddie
I doubt there's much GOA can do about this....

If it was a network problem, i.e. opentransit, then it would affect all the zones equally. As it doesn't do this, it is not a network problem.

If it was a problem with the TOA server, then it would affect all players equally. A lot of people can play in the TOA zones with no lag at all, including me, so it's not a TOA server problem.

This points to one logical conclusion, your PC. TOA is a LOT more graphically and memory demanding than the SI or classic zones, and on people with slower pc or slower graphics cards.

I am running a 2GHz P4, with 1Gb ram and a GeForce 4 Ti4200. From talking to other people, the memory is the key. I used to get a fair bit of lag when I have 512 Mb, but since I upgraded to 1Gb it all vanished. This game is very thirsty, and if you're having lag I would seriously suggest turning your graphics settings.

My 2nd pc runs TOA perfectly smoothly with a 550MHz processor, 256 Mb ram and a GeForce 3 Ti200, with all the graphics settings turned down to minimum.

All this to me says that it's not a fault of GOA's servers, just the increased processing and graphical load on people's clients.

PS: Server stabillity on large events is another issue entirely.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
This is nothing to do with Opentransit. Prydwen is running ToA on a server that could barley cope with a relic raid under SI, add 20+ new zones being run on that hardware and you can see why the current setup is not even close to being powerful enough to cope with 100+ people in a zone. Also, it makes you wonder if the server implementation is seriously flawed when many classic zones run fine and the new zones are just a horrible lagfest. It would suggest to me that the load balancing of zones has been very badly thought out, either the hardware isn't up to the task or the server setup of the zones is piss poor.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Well the funny thing is they pretty much fixed the lag last maintance, then after a ld saturday the lag came back. Dunno if it was toa zone crash, but some say it was.

Marcus75

Fledgling Freddie
I have played ToA late at night and early mornings and since the crash Fafnir is talking about it's always laggy. I doubt my computer is to blame for that.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
Smurflord said:
I doubt there's much GOA can do about this....

If it was a network problem, i.e. opentransit, then it would affect all the zones equally. As it doesn't do this, it is not a network problem.

If it was a problem with the TOA server, then it would affect all players equally. A lot of people can play in the TOA zones with no lag at all, including me, so it's not a TOA server problem.

This points to one logical conclusion, your PC. TOA is a LOT more graphically and memory demanding than the SI or classic zones, and on people with slower pc or slower graphics cards.

I am running a 2GHz P4, with 1Gb ram and a GeForce 4 Ti4200. From talking to other people, the memory is the key. I used to get a fair bit of lag when I have 512 Mb, but since I upgraded to 1Gb it all vanished. This game is very thirsty, and if you're having lag I would seriously suggest turning your graphics settings.

My 2nd pc runs TOA perfectly smoothly with a 550MHz processor, 256 Mb ram and a GeForce 3 Ti200, with all the graphics settings turned down to minimum.

All this to me says that it's not a fault of GOA's servers, just the increased processing and graphical load on people's clients.

PS: Server stabillity on large events is another issue entirely.

if it were only people with relative 'old' PCs this might've been a possibility, but it affects -everyone- on Mid/Pryd who's in the ToA zones.

Classis Zones don't lag
Shrouded Isles Zones don't lag
ToA(!) Dungeons don't lag

ToA Mainlands : 5-10sec delay on every action

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
I was in ToA last night during the period that many people were complaining about ludicrous amounts of lag and to be honest I didn't experience anything unusual - a bit of chug in the havens but once clear, nothing exceptional even though some others kept going linkdead all the time. I seriously don't think the server is to blame but the routing along the way.

My system is a mid range games machine - 512MB pc2700 ram, Athlon 2200xp, Geforce FX5600 128MB graphics card and running Windows XP home. Hardly uber but probably comparable to many other peoples machines. The only programs running at the same time as DAoC are Firefox and Outlook, I don't play in windowed mode and I like to play with all the graphical bells and whistles turned on. I connect via 576k ADSL from the UK and none of the machines on my network suffer unduly from game lag even when we're all playing at the same time.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
I had insane lag in rvr yesterday nothing like before, not my pc or isp so could be the thing mids have had i really do not know but it did suck :/

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
My respons from Right now

Greetings,

We are aware of the current lag problems on the Prydwen server, and it is in line for a hardware upgrade. I do not have an estimate of when it will happen yet, but we are actively working on solving this, the current state is not acceptable for us or for our players.

Regards,
---------------------------------------------
European Dark Age of Camelot Customer Support

Cozak

Part of the furniture
This lag is bullshit, if 50% population of Pryd quit in the next few weeks i wouldnt be surprised, pretty much ready to quit myself i know that much.

Nxs

One of Freddy's beloved
Since ToA - ive gone linkdead 3 times, 2 of which when there were storms in my area and the power triped :)

Sorry to hear that so many are having Lag problems, but its not accross the board, connections for me are as ok as they were before ToA (touch wood)

UK 512k ADSL through nildram.

bashir

Fledgling Freddie
Smurflord said:

Dude, you couldnt be more wrong... thats why us mids say you albs dont have the same problem as we do (with this lagissue).

Your logic has a few big flaws..: I run DAoC main account on a P4 3Ghz with Hyperthreading technology, 1gb DDR400Mhz ram and an ATI Radeon 9800 XL (between normal radeon and pro one).

I have no problems with my ToA client in any other zone/dungeon/city then ToA itself. My pings to the prydwen server seem normal mostly, 30-40ms in general, sometimes a spike of 100 but not too bad to play. Nevertheless, whenever I come in ToA normal (main) zone, I get a delay on all I type, cast, etc. Not a small one , but from 10 to 20 even to 40 seconds! Do /who <insertrandomname> and u got to wait 10s.. do /dance and after 10s or more u start dancing.... Try to play with this kind of **** as healer, caster, tank, or anything, and you would really understand what we are talking about.
Btw if it would be due to our system, the PLF indicator would at least show one of the icons in yellow or red, and when I have this lag, I got perfect greenconned circles on my screen, so don't say its us...

Afaik the ToA zones are on a different server (in a server cluster), and prolly the communication to the rest of the network is fubar and causes this lag.

Indeed this makes it so that while albs/hibs can XP/art-xp/art-farm/scroll-farm/MLraid etc, the mids can't do shit... or wait... we can go craft, or go RvR (atm really crappy RvR, allmost all albs/hibs on ToA-trips). So that will result in you guys having better items/ML levels/etc while we will be still working on that part. >> You can grab relics/keeps etc, that will lead to the unbalanced situation just because they cant fix this lag.

And don't say "you can play in SI+RvR+classic", cuz u know we payed as well for ToA clientsoftware+accounts. If it would be you, you would react the same way.

Alot of mids WILL quit if it aint solved soon.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
The problem is with Midgard/Prydwen. Seems like some people are missing that ;)

emma

Loyal Freddie
Going by the little knowledge i know about Networks and Clusters, i`d take a wild stab in the dark that the Sub Server/Cluster which runs midgards ToA zones either cant cope with the load needed to run ToA smoothly or the connection/routing to and from that Cluster has serious packetloss/choke problems causing this lag which btw reminds me of trying to play CS on a 14.4 modem ;p

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
emma said:
....which btw reminds me of trying to play CS on a 14.4 modem ;p

Pfft surely you mean a Hayes 2400 baud modem circa 1985? :D

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
I have already left ToA for now and if it is not fixed ASAP I will cancel my 3 accounts

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
xxManiacxx said:
I have already left ToA for now and if it is not fixed ASAP I will cancel my 3 accounts

Me too with my 3 accounts although I left for other reasons, 500 more and they might listen. I did say 'might'....

emma

Loyal Freddie
cHodAX said:
Pfft surely you mean a Hayes 2400 baud modem circa 1985? :D
how about an 8-bit serial network, thats what the server cluster at GoA is i reckon.

Marcus75

Fledgling Freddie
And another thing, once again GOA shows that it cant handle customer service - they stick their head in the sand and dont acknowledge this problem in any other way than through a minimal response from Rightnow.

I doubt we will get any action done at all until they upgrade the server and that might take 1-2 days or 3-4 weeks by the look of the friday news.

emma

Loyal Freddie
Marcus75 said:
And another thing, once again GOA shows that it cant handle customer service - they stick their head in the sand and dont acknowledge this problem in any other way than through a minimal response from Rightnow.

I doubt we will get any action done at all until they upgrade the server and that might take 1-2 days or 3-4 weeks by the look of the friday news.
the did acknowledge it, problem is that was 2 weeks ago and we still have the lag infact its even worse now than before.

http://camelot-europe.goa.com/news/newsarticle.php3?id_article=1852

Blood

Fledgling Freddie
a quickie for the slow albs out there... read this again before replying.

Cylian said:
if it were only people with relative 'old' PCs this might've been a possibility, but it affects -everyone- on Mid/Pryd who's in the ToA zones.

Classis Zones don't lag
Shrouded Isles Zones don't lag
ToA(!) Dungeons don't lag

ToA Mainlands : 5-10sec delay on every action

its ToA / MIDGARD / Prydwen thats about the only place affected, i was asking albs and hibs on irc today, they had no problems in ToA, while us mids had 10-20 sec constant server lag spikes (all green indicators)

Sarnat

Fledgling Freddie
I'm sure GOA techies arent even trying to fix it... I'm sure it's just a really obvious thing and very easy to fix!! Right? Right??

Stinko

Fledgling Freddie
Sarnat said:
I'm sure GOA techies arent even trying to fix it... I'm sure it's just a really obvious thing and very easy to fix!! Right? Right??

Almost one frikkin month since ToA release and still they havn't solved this for Mid/Pry....I wonder what compensation we will get for having to wait this long and still can't use our bought Daoc expantion. Wtf!! I didn't buy ToA just to wait for the servers to beeing able to handle it.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Stinko said:
Almost one frikkin month since ToA release and still they havn't solved this for Mid/Pry....I wonder what compensation we will get for having to wait this long and still can't use our bought Daoc expantion. Wtf!! I didn't buy ToA just to wait for the servers to beeing able to handle it.
1 free day? Or will we see a rollback :flame:

Pudzy

Can't get enough of FH
cHodAX said:
This is nothing to do with Opentransit. Prydwen is running ToA on a server that could barley cope with a relic raid under SI, add 20+ new zones being run on that hardware and you can see why the current setup is not even close to being powerful enough to cope with 100+ people in a zone. Also, it makes you wonder if the server implementation is seriously flawed when many classic zones run fine and the new zones are just a horrible lagfest. It would suggest to me that the load balancing of zones has been very badly thought out, either the hardware isn't up to the task or the server setup of the zones is piss poor.

I'll brick you ingame cho! I was ping monioring ALL weekend, the trouble from england>france is 100% opentransit being utterly crap, opentransit is the direct link from london to paris, trust me its them they suck so bad :l.

Have to admit 1 thing tho, prydwen needs an upgrade :p.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
bashir said:
Rollback would be a laugh :clap:
Bet they would rollback mid to toa release date.

Pudzy said:
I'll brick you ingame cho! I was ping monioring ALL weekend, the trouble from england>france is 100% opentransit being utterly crap, opentransit is the direct link from london to paris, trust me its them they suck so bad :l.

Have to admit 1 thing tho, prydwen needs an upgrade :p.
Come to mid and compare lag in toa zones/dungeons/si/old zones huge different in lag and latency. Yesterday i could not even log fafne online kept crashing, didnt even see the djinn stones with fafnir and when i took a shark from notos to meso all mobs attacked me, even shaorg, could use IP on shark, should not be able to but it fired off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom