just heard a very interesting rumor....

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
That EA might be looking into buying GOA as the EU steam users can buy and subscribe to the US servers, and they want to offer the same deal across the board.

now this IS just a rumor, but if it IS true, what do you lot think the chances would be to finally be able to transfer our DAoC EU characters to the US servers? :)

Dvaerg

Part of the furniture
That EA might be looking into buying GOA as the EU steam users can buy and subscribe to the US servers, and they want to offer the same deal across the board.

now this IS just a rumor, but if it IS true, what do you lot think the chances would be to finally be able to transfer our DAoC EU characters to the US servers? :)

From wich board you heard this ?

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Meh,i cant even remember my account names/passworlds anymore.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
Hope dies last. Considering that the english (and french?) cluster is practically dead, and the US just got their final cluster (Ywain), a merge would be the last straw for the EU DAoC players.
There's even a rumour, that GOA will shut down the servers on 31.12.2009. Though, that'd be very short notice for the remaining customers.

P.S. I'd love to get to transfer my gimpens over the ocean :]

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Why would EA buy GOA just to increase their DAoC sales by a small amount? I seriously doubt any sane person would buy an MMORPG through Steam anyway, you go to the games main site and can usually get a cheaper/better deal.

I'd have more confidence in the rumours of GOA losing or not renewing their license than this.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
I know GOA has recently made a lot of people redundant from there Ireland offices, a number of them have com to Codemasters for interviews and such this past week. Half the team or more are being made redundant.

Based on that these could be more than rumours...

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
I know GOA has recently made a lot of people redundant from there Ireland offices, a number of them have com to Codemasters for interviews and such this past week. Half the team or more are being made redundant.

Based on that these could be more than rumours...

Just to add for those who might not realise what Dreamor is saying (at least what i think he's saying), when any competent company is considering selling out, the first thing they do is cut the fat and make all non-essential personnel redundant. Bottom line figure is what a prospective buyer looks at first.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Why would EA buy GOA just to increase their DAoC sales by a small amount? I seriously doubt any sane person would buy an MMORPG through Steam anyway, you go to the games main site and can usually get a cheaper/better deal.

I'd have more confidence in the rumours of GOA losing or not renewing their license than this.

well, for once it wouldn't be because of DAoC sales. it would be because of the fact that Steam in europe aparently allow their customers to set up US accounts for WAR.

but either wich way i actually want EA to do this, because as much as i dislike them they are actually better then GOA :)

and i didnt get this from a forum, i saw it in /as chat in WAR in a very lively discussion.

/edit: the DaoC cross region transfer is just something i thought of while contemplating said rumor...

because IF EA actually do buy GOA the chances of the EU servers being either cluetered into Ywain or enable account transfers to US is probably not that impossible anymore.

same with WAR i'd guess, either they make one bigass server select screen that include both the EU and US servers or they make us eligible to roll on US servers even if we have EU accounts.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
The same opinion for me would apply to WAR.

The population of WAR has been declining since the launch of the game. Why would EA buy a company with a declining MMORPG player base? Especially given the fact that they've got licensing agreements which already guarantee them a revenue stream whilst the game is being run by GOA.

As for making a large number of staff redundant, I'd guess it was predicted given the huge reduction in the number of players. They need to cut costs to keep the game running.

It would be interesting if anything from this rumour came true, but only time will tell.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Just to add for those who might not realise what Dreamor is saying (at least what i think he's saying), when any competent company is considering selling out, the first thing they do is cut the fat and make all non-essential personnel redundant. Bottom line figure is what a prospective buyer looks at first.

In some cases, but more often than anything they are just removing the excess they have gained over the year(s). When a companys doing well, they hire more to cope with demand, when its quiet they cut back to save cost. As I understand it QA/Community and CSRs are being cut, when the customer numbers dwindle they will just cut 50% (for example) than get rid of the ones they don't like :)

As far as I am aware, no due diligence has been done on GOA... so if a buyer did pop up that basic check hasn't been done (and no US big name never does this now.)

On the Steam hosting, its all down to cost. When you host the software your paying for servers/rack space and the ever increasing bandwidth costs. Pay Steam to host/provide the software and it usually always works out 20-30% cheaper (I've spoken to Steam and seen there costs.)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
The population of WAR has been declining since the launch of the game. Why would EA buy a company with a declining MMORPG player base? Especially given the fact that they've got licensing agreements which already guarantee them a revenue stream whilst the game is being run by GOA.

that depends really.

if EA buys GOA, how many resubs will they get insted of cancellations? because a fair few have cancelled and blamed it on GOA's poor service.

so they may end up getting more money from a buyout then they do if they leave it as is.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
that depends really.

if EA buys GOA, how many resubs will they get insted of cancellations? because a fair few have cancelled and blamed it on GOA's poor service.

so they may end up getting more money from a buyout then they do if they leave it as is.

Regardless if people think GOA have done a good job or not IF, and a BIG IF, EA or any company in the US wanted to set up shop in the EU, they would need the local knowledge and people to do the job. The US cannot run a EU operation with so many different langauge support and hosting options so vastly different from country to country, including cost/security, without the essential knowledge GOA would have.

If the right offer went to France Telecom, they would snap it up. They can invest the cash elsewhere and move on. They would be crazy not to.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
yes it is a very big "if" unfortunately.

but still maybe something to keep en eye out for...

Thadius

Part of the furniture
It would be that hard.

North America already has french(Canada) and spanish(Latin america) speaking people. It would only be the German side of things that would be a major problem.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Not that it'll matter i'm sure GOA will remain shit even if EA did buy them.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
question is, if they want to buy GOA or just the DAoC-database.

GOA bought a license to run DAoC in europe. The database with the european data (characters e.g.) is most likely property of GOA.

So incase the license for DAoC is about to run out, they might want to buy the database to further increase their customer base.

After all, the longer it runs, the longer they get money from it.

Dutch_NS

Can't get enough of FH
Sounds cool if true, wanted to start on Ywain but cant be focked to start all over again bleh.

My shade could use some fresh yank blood mwahahah :flame::flame::flame:

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
question is, if they want to buy GOA or just the DAoC-database.

GOA bought a license to run DAoC in europe. The database with the european data (characters e.g.) is most likely property of GOA.

So incase the license for DAoC is about to run out, they might want to buy the database to further increase their customer base.

After all, the longer it runs, the longer they get money from it.

i dont see them buying the DAoC database. atleast not that alone, if they do that they probably want WAR's database aswell. and WAR is the core of this rumor.

tho the more i think about it the less likely i see EA buying GOA just for the sake of what Steam is offering when it comes to WAR clients....

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Regardless if people think GOA have done a good job or not IF, and a BIG IF, EA or any company in the US wanted to set up shop in the EU, they would need the local knowledge and people to do the job. The US cannot run a EU operation with so many different langauge support and hosting options so vastly different from country to country, including cost/security, without the essential knowledge GOA would have.

If the right offer went to France Telecom, they would snap it up. They can invest the cash elsewhere and move on. They would be crazy not to.

It's unlikely given that EA's working capital is very limited in light of recent acquisitions. Not sure if France Telecom have enough liquidity to say "no" though - especially on what must be a revenue stream that barely breaks even nowadays.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
It's unlikely given that EA's working capital is very limited in light of recent acquisitions. Not sure if France Telecom have enough liquidity to say "no" though - especially on what must be a revenue stream that barely breaks even nowadays.

Well I work with a number of ex-EA top dogs and they have said numerous times that EA has a very big bank account. If it means getting a potentially strong license and starting again, be it DAOC or WAR, then they will. EA are very good at selling the same old hat.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Well I work with a number of ex-EA top dogs and they have said numerous times that EA has a very big bank account. If it means getting a potentially strong license and starting again, be it DAOC or WAR, then they will. EA are very good at selling the same old hat.

but they already have both of those licenses dont they? atleast indirectly by owning Mythic.

and if EA tells Mythic to start on DAoC 2 i dont think Mythic is in a position to say no.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
and if EA tells Mythic to start on DAoC 2 i dont think Mythic is in a position to say no.

Based on the lack of staff & relocation of most of the rest to help with Bioware then I can't really see them being in a position to say 'yes' as it stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom