Just got my adsl modem delivered,

T

tainted

Just had my adsl modem delivered this morning, and the lead that goes from the modem to the phone plug is too short for me to use.

Can I plug the dsl filter into the end of the phone extension line i used for my dialup modem, and then plug the modem into that (so the dsl modem is going through the dialup extension lead I use) ..?

or do I need to buy some sort of dsl extension and plug the filter straight into the wall?

tainted

edit: also, do I need a filter on every phone in the house, or just the phone the modem is plugged into

N

nylex23

Originally posted by tainted
edit: also, do I need a filter on every phone in the house, or just the phone the modem is plugged into

Only where you have the modem. Think about it, the filters have two sockets: one for phone and one for DSL..

C

Clowneh!

i wanted to find this out a long time ago, back when i was getting adsl.. but i was too impatient, and i bought myself a 30m 'adsl extension wire' (cat5 and rj45 connections)

if u go for that option, i read that the max length for this wire must be 30m.

T

tainted

ok thanks, sorry if my questions seem a bit stupid, but well.. ive had no experience with this stuff before ;)

so anyone got some info on whether i can plug the dsl modem into my dialup extension line, or if not what kind of extension wire do i want to buy?

D

Dr_Weasel

Re: Re: Just got my adsl modem delivered,

Originally posted by nylex23
Only where you have the modem. Think about it, the filters have two sockets: one for phone and one for DSL..

You need a filter on every socket you have something plugged into it.

This page from adsl guide explains the different wiring configurations you can have and where you need to put your filters

edit: Unless you do the config suggested by adsl guide where you put the filter in your master socket.... Read the page, it explains it better than me.

C

Clowneh!

i bought the adsl wire from some shop that i cant remember the url of.. 15 quid for 20m i think, or 30m. hmm i cant remember much at all :) its probably cheaper to make ur own if u know how.

T

tainted

heh I wouldnt have a clue how to make my own wire.

according to the guides dr weasel posted, I'll need a longer RJ-11 lead, which is the same type as the shorter lead delivered with it.

I had guessed a phone extension line wouldnt do but I had to make sure. Anyone know a chain store that might sell a 10 to 15 metre RJ-11 lead?
Dont really want to order one online at this stage cause they always take the maximum amount of time to deliver to me ;)

if anyone has any additional information regarding this stuff i might have missed feel free to inform me ~ ;)

tainted

C

Clowneh!

shit.. i thought i used rj45 :(
shows how much yuo can trust me eh :)

C

Clowneh!

right. according to recent tests, carried out by cask.co.uk, you can have an phone line extension running from the socket. plug the microfilter into the extended socket (i dont think u need one at the main socket) and then plug the adsl wire into the microfilter

i wish i knew this last year :p

D

Dr_Weasel

For some reason, these results are really varied.

In the first house I had DSL, the only microfilter we had was on an extension socket. Phones plugged into other extensions sockets were fine and the DSL connection was perfect.

I set up my Uncles house with DSL and tried the above configuration, and the phones plugged into other extension sockets suffered with really bad whistling and voice distortion. When another filter was applied to that extension socket, the clarity was perfect.

In my current house, I have Telewest (*spit*) cable TV and main phone line and a BT phone line installed for DSL only. Hence I have no phone equipment plugged in so cant really comment on that. I might give it a blast tomorrow and let you know.

T

tainted

cool thanks for the info's guys, guess I got some stuff to figure out till next week (when my account goes live)

Users who are viewing this thread