Just curious....about game.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acibeth

Fledgling Freddie
>Sorry this has already been posted by me on Prydwen board, but I wanted as many viewers as possible. Here's the original thread.<

How many of you playing daoc have got problems with game crashing at random times, and causing an error in game.dll?

Cant remember how long this has been a problem for me, prolly around a year soon, and *sigh* have read several forums and posts about what to do. A lot of suggestions has been read and tried out, but nothing.. nothing works.

Well, now I got your attention, might aswell post what I have tried so far:
(Doesn't matter if I run 1 or 2 accounts on same PC)

Had old PC once, AMD1400 Mhz, 512 RAM, 2x HDD, Samsung monitor and .. here comes the catch I think, Ennyah Geforce 4, TI 4400.
Running WinXP SP1, all updates from their update site.
Tried 6 different Gfx drivers, all from 2002 to 2004
Updated BIOS
Updated DirectX
Reinstalled daoc.
Make the settings which can be made in msconfig.exe from start menu
Format and install Win2k, same as above, still game crashes a lot (and runs hell a lot slower).

Now, I have bought a new PC (AMD 3200, 1GB RAM, Soltek motherboard), and the only thing that are used again, are the GFX card, HDD's, monitor, cabinet+PSU etc.

Still game.dll makes an error in WinXP (You know, the box where you can send the error to Microsoft etc).

But game still crashes at random times, I have now installed a newer version of WinXP, updated, you name it, tried different settings in daoc, resolution, colors in windows, windowed/full screen mode.
Got virusscanner installed+firewall, tried disabling both some times when running game, no effect. Got Ad-aware running, doesn't help either.
Have tried to set camelot.exe to compatible mode with all versions, low priority (ctrl+alt+delete)..

The typical sign to the crash, can be that like when you lag a lot, things stand still and harddrive runs insanely fast, then you can only wait.. Bingo, camelot.exe has caused an error in game.dll. I have tried to read through the codes to this error, but dont understand a thing about it heh.

All my friends haven't got this problem at all, even when trying to alt+tab, running 2 accs like me, of course they got a different PC also.

Okay now, this is about what I can remember I have tried so far, which also is pretty damn much, so the conclusion?

All I can see atm, is that maybe the Ennyah Gefore 4, TI4400 MIGHT be incompatible with daoc somehow, and when getting under pressure, like zoning and other stuff, boom.. But what do I know, could be some unknown driver problem, perhaps WinXP that shuts down the game, because of some low-on-memory thing? (Btw have tried to change the Virtual memory file to 2GB).... Im totally lost, and its beginning to =)!")#=)!?)" me to hell.

What happens when this error occours and running 2 accs? You get a daoc ghost on your machine, meaning you have to quit both accs, and Log off and on again, or restart your PC.

ANY help would be appreciated, but first I just wanted to know if I were the only one with this stupid problem. Might have forgot something I have tried, but if any of you got suggestions, I'll answer them if its on the list of changes I have made...

-Acibeth

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Sounds to me like a dodgy hard disk, I run my buffbot on an Athlon 650/Geforce 1 (yeah yeah stop laughing its better than nowt) I get the exact same crash when it has to load a lot of data in a hurry the HD cant keep up and either causes an LD or an outright crash. Have you tried setting all the precache stuff to max, seeing as you have 1gig of memory it should work well..?

Acibeth

Fledgling Freddie
Well sounds like another good point there now I think of it. Havent set any precache of any kind on my harddrives, perhaps you could be a bit more specific?

And yes, its runs smoothly in full screen allright with 1gb RAM.. strange thing is that I can stick bot onto main without lag ghosts in all the TOA zones... If I port to SI or old land, its another story.. lag ghosts everywhere, but thats another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom