Joined up writing

Jeros

Part of the furniture
When the fuck did writing joined up become verbotton?

For forms and stuff it makes sense, or anything that needs to go through a computer and what not.

But dear lord am I not even allowed to write a note to a fellow worker in joined up writing without getting a lecture from managers about how it should be in print?
We can ALL read and write it, if you were raised in the UK you were taught to write joined up when you were learning to write anything (5 years old), or at least I was.

/Rant off

Yaka

Part of the furniture
neat joined up writing is fine, but almost all the fuckers who do quick notes in joined up i know do it soo fucking messy that they might as well have done a squiggle drawing.

gohan

FH is my second home
Don't think it's even taught anymore...... not like it used to be anyway, used to be proper drumed in. I generally write in print because my hand writting is shocking and it's ineligable otherwise

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Same, my hand writing looks like a spider has had a spaz attack on the paper, half the time I can barely read it myself, I get so bored of writing I sometimes don't even finish words. I can't even remember the last time I wrote anything by hand that wasn't a shopping list or a post it note.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
My handwriting used to be excellent but almost 20 years in I.T. has seen me use it so infrquently that the muscle memory is not what it once was and so the writing looks a bit scruffy.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
yeah at school I used to have to use a 3 sided pencil or something so I didn't hold it to tightly etc, but I generally rush writing and it looks teribble; I used to write sooo neatly then they drummed in the joined writing and I cant write for shit now I literally wrote neater when I was kid.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
My handwriting used to be excellent but almost 20 years in I.T. has seen me use it so infrquently that the muscle memory is not what it once was and so the writing looks a bit scruffy.
indeed, I am the same. I can no longer write at any kind of speed and also doing maths in my head is completely messed up :-/

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
You got executed at my primary school if you weren't joining up by the age of 7-8, then at secondary school, you were executed if you continued to do so by the age of 13-14

georgie

FH is my second home
indeed, I am the same. I can no longer write at any kind of speed and also doing maths in my head is completely messed up :-/

We're just talking about writing, Teeds. Not about being a spaz at everything. :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Some folks have terrible handwriting. One of the Neanderthals in the back office I'm sure writes his post-it note memos using a snickers bar.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Don't think it's even taught anymore...... not like it used to be anyway, used to be proper drumed in. I generally write in print because my hand writting is shocking and it's ineligable otherwise

Both my kids went straight onto joined up writing in primary school straight away, surprised me as they didn't evendo the repeat letter shape practice stuff first.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
I never really saw the point, but then again I'm a gimpy freak who can barely hold a pencil, let alone churn out elegant cursive script.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I never bothered to learn it, much to the annoyance of my teachers, what a stupid fuckin concept, so you can write faster.
And then the reader spends ages trying to work out what you wrote.
Before computers in work we'd have the daily meeting to try and work out what various words were on an important letter, it ended up like CSI.
Thankgod the PC came along

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
My cursive is all over the place these days. Didn't help that I trained as a draughtsman years ago and got used to writing block text really quickly even before computers made it irrelevant. My Dad used to write in absolutely beautiful cursive script that looked like something out of Shakespeare, but he used to be so slow and methodical about it that it felt like it took him half an hour to write a cheque!

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I was made to write in italics when I was at school (a very long time ago). My writing was always pretty to look at but illegible ;/. Thank god by the time I had to take my final accountancy exam (a report based on a given scenario) it was possible to do it on a pc ;/

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I had the "classic" way of being taught cursive writing in primary school. We had these pens with extra long barrels to counter-balance the heavy nibs. I was able to write quite tidily, but I *always* got ink on my middle finger.
When I got to high school, I switched to using Pilot Hi-Tecpoint V5 pens and started printing. Some teachers gave me a hard time about it but they gave up when it was clear that I was going to carry on printing. My maths teacher almost put me in detention because I cross my 7's and always have done. :)
My maths AND my physics teachers gave me a hard time because my capital E is like a capital C, but with a line through the middle. They thought it looked too much like the symbol for "element of" in set theory. They also thought my C looked like the "subset" symbol. The truth is that a number of my capital letters WERE based on set symbols. :)

I don't just print now, I write entirely in capitals. Just the "proper" capital letters are slightly larger than the rest.
I do however write with my favourite pen, a Cross Century II Classic. It's weighted and balanced perfectly for my way of writing. The balance is such that I can spin it around my fingers and catch it back again.
http://www.cross-pens.eu/products/bestsellers/century-ii-classic-black-ballpoint-pen/pid-2502wg
Mrs.Zenith spoils me!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Why is it that the British use such a clumsy way of saying cursive writing?

I stopped myself using cursive many years ago as I thought it didn't look very neat. Well mine certainly didn't!

Cyradix

FH is my second home
We were taught to write using an ink pen and were forced to practice each letter over and over and over.
It did stick for the most part... 30 years later now and I still get comments that my handwriting is nice.
But lately I have this strange habbit of switching the way I write some letters. Even mid-word. If a word has more than one "s" I might write the first one in the classic way and the next one like you see on the keyboard.
Very odd o_O

Lakih

Resident Freddy
The first time i thought "why the fuck am i doing this?" was when i was forced to learn how to writh italics in school. I still today think its useless, now more then ever (since the "internet age" and a computer in every home). I probobly couldnt write proper italics even if my life depended on it.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
my handwriting is atrocious so writing in print makes it easier for me to be understood also i have never been able to read cursive so when someone hands me a note at work or something i usually just ask them to email it to me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom