JK2-Jedi Academy

C

cHodAX

Just completed it and a little disappointed, graphics and textures are very dated plus the amount of actual gameplay in hours is low. Took me 10 hours in total and that includes replaying the last 2 levels as it gives you the chance to choose if you want to turn to the dark side, that choice gives an alternate ending which leaves some superb possibiltys storywise for JK3. The plot it's self was quite good and getting to fight Boba Fett is so cool but in the end the game leaves you feeling a little unsatisfied. JK3 could be a cracker if they ditch that PoS hybrid Quake2 engine.

S

SilverHood

who cares about single player?

hows the mulitplayer? :D

C

cHodAX

Worth buying if you love your FPS and playing them online, the multiplayer is very decent.

O

old.Xarr

yeah the option of having a double-bladed lightsaber or wielding two normal ones at once is very cool indeed :].

i don't fully agree with you on the graphics and textures though. sure they look alot like jk2's 'cept a few nicer ones here and there, but even they look pretty snazzy with all the details juiced up.

but this was just a tease for me until KOTOR arrives anyhoo ^^

(nice game, but i wouldn't buy it for the singleplayer. only if you're going to play it online imo).

O

old.LandShark

It's JK3 btw ;p
And it = JK2 with double-blade sabers and dual sabers. Nothing else really....
On the other hand I'd love to find it for download somewhere (no, I'm not requesting a link, ban me not!) so I can play it LAN with friends. Buggered if I'm pre-ordering it though, s'not THAT good

E

Ekydus

Just another excuse to cash in on the franchise that is Star Wars.

B

Belsameth

I must say I'm finding it great.

I never played much of JK1 or 2 because I hated the boring switch finding/shooting/reload due to insta death parts, but since you start with a Saber and some force powers it's less of an objection. no insta death moments encountered either, besides those I could've avoided if I paid attention (being force pushed off a cliff sucks! :p )

besides that, the saber duels rock, and I find the AI makes fairly nice use of force powers, without being overwhelming in it's uberness. oh, and the Saberstaff is great, besides that it doesn't have a nice "jump over somebody while chopping him up" attack :)

O

old.LandShark

Originally posted by Ekydus
Just another excuse to cash in on the franchise that is Star Wars.
Yeah, but seriously, is re-using one franchise any worse than the 500 identical FPS's or RTS's that don't share a common franchise? :p
At least JK3 appears to be decent.
Also I think the rather dated graphics (Q3 engine, same as JK2) was a deliberate choice. I mean, they could have adapted the KOTOR engine, or they could have gone and paid through the nose for UT2K3's engine, but.... as far as the sabre combat goes you have to admit the Q3 engine is ample for massive flashy, fluid sabre battles.

B

Belsameth

Originally posted by old.LandShark
Also I think the rather dated graphics (Q3 engine, same as JK2) was a deliberate choice. I mean, they could have adapted the KOTOR engine, or they could have gone and paid through the nose for UT2K3's engine, but.... as far as the sabre combat goes you have to admit the Q3 engine is ample for massive flashy, fluid sabre battles.

to be honest, the "dated" graphics don't bother me one bit. even at high res and high detail it's insanely fluid and fast, my opponents might not have actual expressions of dread on their face, but I don't notice that anyway, as I'm too busy chopping them up :p

a great game. fast, fluid, and lots of actuon. without much in the way of shooting or puzzles to keep you from fast Lightsaber action.

K

katt!

Originally posted by old.cHodAX
Worth buying if you love your FPS and playing them online, the multiplayer is very decent.

did they "fix" the mega-spam weapons jk2? (the flak/grenade launcher thingy ;x)

O

old.LandShark

Hell, did they fix the total lack of CD protection? patching and playing online with copied CDs etc... gg Lucasarts....

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

And this is a bad thing why? :)

Oh wait...I just remembered why. :/

~bad Sissyfoo...stay good~

S

SilverHood

Originally posted by old.LandShark
Hell, did they fix the total lack of CD protection? patching and playing online with copied CDs etc...

I hope not :)

that was how I was convinced to buy the original (Jk2) :)

O

old.LandShark

.... You bought it because you didn't need to buy it to get the absolute 100% full experience of the game? :p

O

old.LandShark

Xarr - nm the PM, i got past that bit real easily. Just passed a bomb but didn't defuse it, like a retard.
Now I'm on hoth and I'm wondering why the hell your mouse sensitivity goes insanely low when you get on a taun-taun. Also, did they seriously expect anyone to run around on the damn things killing five gazillion snowtroopers? Gay gimmicky level. :D

O

old.Xarr

was pretty cool battling the AT-ST on that level though. lightsaber4tehwin!! :D

oh and theres a cool level with a landspeeder thingy later on. remember that on that level you can use the lightsaber to cut the other landspeeders down with.. rawks :)

O

old.LandShark

nuts to that, i just drove through
Nice impression of speed but wtf is with this game and giving you sweet-fuck-all horizontal sensitivity every time you use a vehicle? grrr
Also. This dude Rax Joris (or something) is soooooo going to get owned after I've finished the game. Going to come back with maxed force powers and a saber staff and kick him into the middle of next week.

O

old.LandShark

Sorry to keep bumping this thread, but how tf do you kill the mutated rancor? :p
One of the first missions after you get to choose the new saber type. (which, incidentally is gay; if i can fight light/heavy/medium with one sabre, and i can change my sabre-staff into a single sabre, why can't i then fight heavy/light with it? Mongish.)

B

Belsameth

you don't :)

run away, in the back is a conveyor belt with a force field on top. jump into the control room overseeing the belt and when the Rancor is there just hit the switch.

somehow the Rancor can't destroy that puny crate, while being able to destroy crates that where twice the size of the one used to crush him :p

O

old.Xarr

don't think you can kill it. i tried hitting it with everything i had and proceeded to slice it a million times with my saber, but it didn't do squat. however there's a switch somewhere in that big room that lowers a box or something. haven't done that level yet unfortunately =/

being able to do only one style with the double-bladed lightsaber even though you have retracted one blade and using it as a regular sabre probably has something to do with balancing. why bother choosing a single lightsaber when you get no benefit for it.. or something :]

O

old.LandShark

Balance schmalance, it's retarded :p
k, shame you didn't do that rancor level cos it's a bitch. :p
Tried getting it back into its original shield cage thingy, tried squashing it with that enormously slow-moving box that's nowhere near the switch to lower it, etc
Redoing the fight with Rosh now to get sabre-staff (I already redid it once to see dual sabres :E) and then i'll avoid rancor mission. Beh.

B

Belsameth

it's easy once you know how to do it.

dual sabers is by far the best I found tho, didn't really like the Saber Staff. tho I miss the flipover attack you have with the single saber

O

old.LandShark

I don't think I've ever killed anyone in all my hours of LAN JK2, with the flipover attack. If you mean the medium stance special move, that is?
I dunno, multiplayer I'd have to think either staff sabre for the butterfly moves, or single sabre just for the heavy stance.
Just finishing now, as it happens.... killed Tavion once, currently being schooled by the possessed version. Oh well.

B

Belsameth

the posessed version was fun :)
gonna try the darkside ending tomorrow.

I don't play on-line, and single player it was my most killing move.
with dual the crouching bladewhirl thingie seems quite good at that :)

O

old.LandShark

Heh, I started replaying with dual sabres and darkside powers, but I just cannot kill dick with those dual sabres. I mean, I can but it feels like I'm just spamming attack until they die. Hardly like the butterfly staff-sabre attack that I can guide around a room killing several and kick another in the same motion. Plus, the number of times you get killed by the rolling stab if you use that whirling blade barrier thing.... pfeh.

K

katt!

the demo = fun.

gotta get the full version and play it through sometime.

O

old.LandShark

Protip: go darkside at the end, final fight is so much cooler :cool:
Anyhow, what's in the demo?

K

katt!

some jedi tomb level, some where you turn off some tractor beams. most weapons and all sabre types + forces i think :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom