News Jape-based deportation!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
A couple of holidaymakers have reportedly been deported from the US for a couple of joke tweets.

The first...said: "3 weeks today, we're totally in LA pissing people off on Hollywood Blvd and diggin' Marilyn Monroe up!"; the second..."Free this week, for quick gossip/prep before I go and destroy America."

Resulting in:

"I almost burst out laughing when they asked me if I was going to be Leigh's lookout while he dug up Marilyn Monroe. I couldn't believe it because it was a quote from the comedy Family Guy which is an American show."
She added: "It got even more ridiculous because the officials searched our suitcases and said they were looking for spades and shovels. They did a full body search on me too."
Van Bryan described the ordeal as "almost funny" but "really scary". He said: "The Homeland Security agents were treating me like some kind of terrorist. I kept saying to them they had got the wrong meaning from my tweet but they just told me 'you've really fucked up with that tweet boy'.

OK, it's The Register, and worse, EL Reg quoting The Fail.

But are people really being denied entry to the United States because of twittering?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
People who tweet every tedious detail from their life should be banned from everywhere.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
People who tweet every tedious detail from their life should be banned from everywhere.

Well, yes. IMO just being on twitter means you've labelled yourself a facile twat.

But actually stopping you getting into a country, in real life? Really?

rynnor

Rockhound
FBI plans social network map alert mash-up application

It's all a bit Person of Interest but it's this sort of thing that could lead to a lot more headlines like that. :\

I read that the other day - I seriously doubt they can process it well enough to eliminate all the false leads - I figure its largely bullshit to cow the masses.

No credible terrorist would be on facebook posting 'yay today the smallpox virus arrived - now we just need to mail it to america' - I mean seriously?

The sheer mass of crap on the internet renders it pretty useless for ill defined trawls by intelligence agencies - but hey its a big IT project and those always work/stay within budget right?...

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I think it's more to track social change, such as what went on in some Arab states, largely organised and reported via social media.

rynnor

Rockhound
I think it's more to track social change, such as what went on in some Arab states, largely organised and reported via social media.

Nah - they stated its to identify 'bad actors' (Kenneth Brannagh better get running) and disply them on a map - both domestic and International - its a spook trawl.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No credible terrorist would be on facebook posting 'yay today the smallpox virus arrived - now we just need to mail it to america' - I mean seriously?

No, but kids would and do, and are then illegitimately barred access...

rynnor

Rockhound
No, but kids would and do, and are then illegitimately barred access...

That will just make them a laughing stock until this new toy is quietly dropped. What it doesnt mention is that to process all the crap leads this trawls likely to throw out they will need to employ thousands of new intelligence analysts who have to actually read this junk and determine if there really is a threat.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That will just make them a laughing stock until this new toy is quietly dropped. What it doesnt mention is that to process all the crap leads this trawls likely to throw out they will need to employ thousands of new intelligence analysts who have to actually read this junk and determine if there really is a threat.

They're already a laughing stock for this - (purpose of the thread, remember).

What makes you think they would employ new intelligence analysts? On current form they'd pipe it direct to immigration officials and if you've said something that gets flagged up by computer they won't let you in.

"Computer says no" :eek:

rynnor

Rockhound
What makes you think they would employ new intelligence analysts?

Why would they track domestic 'bad actors' (Sly Stallone, Clint Eastwood etc. etc.) if it wasnt going to end up on some analysts pile?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nazi-style Repression?

The example in the article is a cast-iron example of them abusing innocent humans because of jokes...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I've seen a couple of journalists frog-marched out of the passport queue at LAX for simply giving the TSA goons back chat (not at passport control, in the queue). A few hours later they were on the plane back to London. That's the price you pay if you're dumb enough to want to go to the US these days.

Thing I don't understand about this case is that the tweets happened a good while before their flight; why weren't their ESTAs rejected if they were considered a risk? What was the idea of letting "potential terrorists" :rolleyes: onto a plane into the US, when they set up the whole electronic visa process precisely to stop people at the departure airport? There's something definitely fishy about this.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
why weren't their ESTAs rejected if they were considered a risk? What was the idea of letting "potential terrorists" :rolleyes: onto a plane into the US, when they set up the whole electronic visa process precisely to stop people at the departure airport

Punishment.

Hurt people who speak out about the states. Get them in the papers and get everyone else to shut up and stop badmouthing them.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Sounds completely pointless to me and almost certainly more a case of some TSA regional honcho massively overstepping his authority and getting a boner from this type of power trip.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Poor old America, spend 50 years telling everyone else how to run their security, then the second it happens to THEM, they turn out to be the worst in the world.
All I can say in their favour is they admitted to it and let the world see them warts and all.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Oh god Scouse, have you got mental issues? Really? You do like 2 or 3 threads a bloody day about the U.S, then when you get proved wrong you just do another one. Seriously, bang another fucking drum will you, this one's busted.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Lol throddy. I just thought it was a funny story is all. The US threads coming along all at once is conincidental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom