ive fucked up my codecs

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
as usual ill give a little background, i was trying to install TVersity to play files from my pc on my 360, they said(as im a win2k user) to download Ace codec pack, as usual i couldn't be bothered to check witch i needed, so i done them all, now MPGs don't play and i notice alot of frame skips when playing AVIs...
so i reinstalled it, then nothing worked, and im back to square 1

so, a few questions;

how can i get my hands on some mpg codecs?
how do i get my avi's to play smoother?
can anyone recomend a reliable codec pack?

or is it possible to revert to before i installed the codec pack?

thanks

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
ok, im probably going to spam alot in this thread, giving constant updates... so i apologize

attached i have included 2 SS from GSpot, on what codecs work or installed wrong

so, are there any i am missing?
or should get?

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
I dont mean to state the obvious but isnt your DivX install screwed?

Personally I would never install a 'codec pack' as I just see it as more bloatware. Just install what you need as you need it. Right clicking and checking the properties of most avi files will display what codec it uses.

90% of AVI's that you download and watch on your PC are probably Xvid or DivX. Install both from the official websites xvid.org and divx.com respectively.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
new update, i should really have tried to do something before posting>.<

all seems well, but mpgs don't seem to work in winamp:( so i need advise on that if possible

but i still would like to know if im missing any essential codecs ty:)

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Ballard said:
I dont mean to state the obvious but isnt your DivX install screwed?

Personally I would never install a 'codec pack' as I just see it as more bloatware. Just install what you need as you need it. Right clicking and checking the properties of most avi files will display what codec it uses.

90% of AVI's that you download and watch on your PC are probably Xvid or DivX. Install both from the official websites xvid.org and divx.com respectively.

aye, like i said, i should really have investigated more

whats bloatware?

tbh, i think the codec pack was fine, but it asked to uninstall xvid+divx, i assumed they were in there so i said yes:(

then i did something with FFDShow(i think) then things started going pear shapped...

Litmus

Resident Freddy
how do you get that screen which shows installed codecs?

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Litmus said:
how do you get that screen which shows installed codecs?

open gspot then go View-->Installed codecs, rest is rather self explanitory

i think ill re install winamp, cant find anything that resembled the screen i had witch i think fucked it up

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
sorted, im such an idiot some of the time(or all the time depending how much you like/dislike me)

though, i still would like to know if im missing any essential codecs, if at all there is any

upon reflection, i think this wasn't a totally useless thread, it defiantly helped me figure out what might have been wrong...

Battleboobs

Fledgling Freddie
dont use codec packs, get VLC (videolan.org) it plays almost everything.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
psyco said:
whats bloatware?

Its an expression from the look of it, he's basically saying COdec Packs are full of shite, although they include some of the codecs you will need. Thus just download the required ones.

VLC like Teh B00bs said will play almost anything

Also your winamp issue, make sure your file association is set back to that program.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Not sure if it has any bearing on what you want to do or how acurate it is but apparently anything that plays through windows media player 11 ok will stream to the xbox 360 problem free.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Mojo said:
Not sure if it has any bearing on what you want to do or how acurate it is but apparently anything that plays through windows media player 11 ok will stream to the xbox 360 problem free.

psyco said:
as usual ill give a little background, i was trying to install TVersity to play files from my pc on my 360, they said(as im a win2k user) to download Ace codec pack, as usual i couldn't be bothered to check witch i needed, so i done them all, now MPGs don't play and i notice alot of frame skips when playing AVIs...

i checked, cant use wmp11

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
the xbox itself doesnt support divx/xvid so wmp11 doesnt work ;/

you need something to transcode the files as they play, ala TVersity.

been using it for weeks, its a brilliant program, and although it would be better for the xbox360 to support divx/xvid natively, doing it this way is fine for me and so far every one of my video files has played flawlessly.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Neffneff said:
the xbox itself doesnt support divx/xvid so wmp11 doesnt work ;/

you need something to transcode the files as they play, ala TVersity.

been using it for weeks, its a brilliant program, and although it would be better for the xbox360 to support divx/xvid natively, doing it this way is fine for me and so far every one of my video files has played flawlessly.

whats your default player for your pc?

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
psyco said:
so i reinstalled it, then nothing worked, and im back to square 1

so, a few questions;

how can i get my hands on some mpg codecs?
how do i get my avi's to play smoother?
can anyone recomend a reliable codec pack?

or is it possible to revert to before i installed the codec pack?

thanks

Basically you want to :-

Goto add/remove programs, and unistall every codec related thingy and player you have.

Uninstall windows medial player

Reinstall windows medial player

That should fix most codec problems, then you *might* need a codec package, but Im not confident to point you at a good one.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Boni said:
Basically you want to :-

Goto add/remove programs, and unistall every codec related thingy and player you have.

Uninstall windows medial player

Reinstall windows medial player

That should fix most codec problems, then you *might* need a codec package, but Im not confident to point you at a good one.

thanks, but that bit is fixed, was just a winamp problem, re-installed it, and now no problems, thanks though

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom