Its all coming back to me now

orbin

Fledgling Freddie
Ok so im currently playing WoW and i have had my ups and downs in this game. I like that alot of ppl playing, it feels alive and there are alot of old daoc ppl im playing with. Im playing with White Rose from Mid/Exc on Burning Legion.

Now my rogue is close to 60 (currently 58) and im finally realising that the end game for this game is the grinding in different instances to get att the uber equipment i need in PvP. Then it hit me, this is exactly why i left daoc in the first place. All the ToA quest and must have artifacts. I want to be done with the PvE so i can start PvP/RvR or whatever asap. It must be smth wrong with me seems like nothing fits me. Maybe go back to daoc. :/

Anyone else feel this way?

/Gashemi

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
So far Ive purchased 4 copies of DAOC for every time I come back, tried them all now FFXI, EQ2, WoW - DAOC had the best end game.

Now its just RL RPG's - I keep thinking about starting DAOC up again, but will never forget that day 2 FG tried to retake a keep with 3 hibbies in it - and died horrable.

orbin

Fledgling Freddie
Good idea about the forum, can i move this thread there?

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Play a different game? Don't rush to 60?

I started my warrior at US release back in November and I'm still three bubs away from 56 because I am taking it easy. I could have rushed to 60 but I know I would have quit by now...

I enjoy the world of Warcraft (harrr, pun), the quests, crafting, alts... I haven't seen any mmog universe that detailed so far and I can declare that I have tried them all.

EU release has been when? A month or two ago? And you're nearly 60 already...

No wonder you are bored.

I remember when I started playing DAoC at EU release, a couple of weeks later the boards were full with people crying and whining about the lack of end-game since they had rushed to 50.

You guys tend to glorify DAoC... if you had started on release you would have found unitemized dungeons, bugs, bugs and bugs, unbalanced RvR (anyone remember Sinister and friends abusing a bugged uber bow?).

WoW has been out how long? A couple of month... every and any MMOG is full of bugs until a couple of months after release and I daresay Blizzard is taking good care of adding content.

Anyways... get a Playstation maybe.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
You don't have to grind PvE for equipment in WoW - you can grind PvP for equipment instead. Also WoW is less equipment dependent than DAoC anyway, it's not like ToA where if you didn't have the uber gear you always lose.

Jerbear

Fledgling Freddie
try out guild wars its a nice game based around PvP i think u might enjoy it.. its also free!!! (monthly wise) :D

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I hear what you are saying. I really enjoyed levelling to 60 with my warlock, but repetitively running through the same instances for equipment is not my idea of fun. In fact I can honestly say that of all the drops I have wanted, including a piece of the epic warlock set, I've not won any of them.

The open field PvP, such as it is, on Argent Dawn is the Tarren Mill zerg-fest which gets old fast when outnumbered 5:1 ... hopefully Battlegrounds will be more fun, else it's time to look for another game. I have to agree with other posters that levelling to 60 is the most fun aspect of the game, but you need to have more to do when you're there than farming, farming, farming.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
I don't know... I didn't like farming in DAoC - maybe because most items looked plain and the same (remember, though, I quit before TOA was released...).

Farming in WoW is fun - I farm for my alts mainly. I go to allkhazam, look up what's nice and blue and go farm.
Making shyteloads of money while farming (so I can get my l60 mount) is just a nice side effect.

But it all depends on personal taste and preference, I guess.

Give it time and find joy in the game again or find another game.
It's that simple.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Uncle Sick said:
(anyone remember Sinister and friends abusing a bugged uber bow?).

lol, that fricking level 25 bow or what ever it was. used to get me at the keep doors allll the way from those leprchaun things on the hill infront of alb keep. the only bug i seen in wow is aimed shot saying its not ready when it really is.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
I recently moved pve from pvp - I have a 43 orc hunter and 30 undead warrior on shadow moon.

I am now playing pve on bloodhoof and have a (wait for it) 20 hunter and 20 warrior.

I really enjoy even levelling the same class up, cos I am seeing the game from the other side. It's really enjoyable doing different quests and seeing the alliance instances.

M

Vantros of the Delerium

Fledgling Freddie
If u wanna play a none grind game go play counterstrike, all mmorpg have a grind of some kind in them.. and if u dont want the best gear dont grind, but dont whine about others haveing better gear than you either.

DAOC was awful for grinding, not only did u have to get to lvl 50 but u had to do MLs, and then lvl your artifacts.

In WoW you have to go get the equipment you want to get.. without it u wont be gimped u will just have less of something than someone who has it.

In WoW int increases your chance to crit not your base dmg output which is good cos haveing a little less int than someone means u got less chance to crit and less mana pool but dont mean they insta win on dmg output.

Most real gamers play a game for what it is and dont whine every chance they get like little kiddies... just something to think about...

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
Mongoose, I play Shadow Moon too, got a 42 mage. You can give me a PM if you feel like company at some point. I think I've seen you some time in Mid :p

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
i keep running into a big NightElf on Dragonmaw called Tasslehof.
is tasslehoff some kind of famous person or god or summat :p
do not worry i defended ur honour by yelling at him hes not the real tasslehoff alot. mainly cos when i grouped with him he was a retard an couldnt listen to orders whtsoever.

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Vantros of the Delerium said:
In WoW you have to go get the equipment you want to get.. without it u wont be gimped u will just have less of something than someone who has it. ...

Agreed. Not having the very best gear in WoW does not gimp you for PvP the way it did in DAoC. Playing Skill still > all in WoW and if you know your character inside and out through lots of PvP, you will beat someone who is decked out with nice epic PvE gear but has little PvP experience.

Furthermore, if you stick with just PvPing and get your way up the honour ranks, you'll be able to get some good equipment that way.

At the moment, I can't be bothered to do the PvE end game instances as I'm still waiting for friends to catch-up and I'd rather do those instances with them. Instead I happily PvE with Alts (lots of fun there) and do PvP with my lvl 60 whenever the opporunity presents itself. Other than the flaws inherent to the Hunter class, I do not feel that I am at disadvantage in PvP for not having any Epic gear and very few unique items.

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
Lakashnik said:
i keep running into a big NightElf on Dragonmaw called Tasslehof.
is tasslehoff some kind of famous person or god or summat :p
do not worry i defended ur honour by yelling at him hes not the real tasslehoff alot. mainly cos when i grouped with him he was a retard an couldnt listen to orders whtsoever.
Lol, that's neat :D

Tasslehoff is a charecter from a book ;)

Ethiraseth

Fledgling Freddie
Go play guild wars. it has pve which is at least a bit of fun and meaningful and less to none grinding. Heck, you can be max level within a week if you play a lot. And then it's only pvp. :cheers:

Aada

Part of the furniture
I'll never forget the DAOC days they were great right up until TOA.

I still remember venturing out of hibbie land for the first time and seeing huge trolls running around mostly skalds and crapping my pants trying to hide behind trees.

lots of players remind me of good memories.... me and Salamuhaaja duoing killing infs left and right then being zerged by about 6 of them :)

Rayne for buffing me when i couldn't get my bot online and for being an awsome player.

Alpha
Remi
Xdi
(lots of scouts lol we enjoyed butchering them)
loads of other people can't remember names because its been over a year now since i last played.

Nolby Pride- for some reason i got on really well with most of the guys in NP maybe because of that time when there was that big memorial in Emain for that guy that died irl (NP killed alot of dudes there with there sm's) me and Minime (Paradigim) were killing dudes on the way there. Got some really nice group invites off them with my skald :)

Will there be another game that captures what Daoc had? i don't think so.

If only mythic would be intelligent enough to make SI only servers for people who don't like TOA im guessing alot of DAOC players would return there like a shot.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Aada said:
Will there be another game that captures what Daoc had? i don't think so.

If only mythic would be intelligent enough to make SI only servers for people who don't like TOA im guessing alot of DAOC players would return there like a shot.
Arf, and it sounded just like a farewell post up until that point. :(

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
Grinding in any game is quite boring in wow its not that bad tho.
(was about to give up once tho but then you pull yourself together and get to 60 its ez, highlevel instance with good ppl go smooth= gear fast.)

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I wasn't in a rush to get to 60 infact I deliberately did things to slow myself down like change profession so I would have to level that, help other guild mates with instances but eventually it happened...

Now I am there what do I do....

I still get a lot of fun out of completing an objective so I continue with quests, I do instance runs for rare plans, items and spend time looking for items to make my epic robe (which is becoming a labour of love).

I also started some alts as I love to kill things but my priest is spec'd disc / holy for the higher end instances so I made a rogue, a mage and a warlock... warlock is my favorite at the moment.

I feel it is all about what you want to get from the game... if all you want are uber items then yes you will farm a lot and this is horribly boring, however there is so much more in WoW than that and it isn't like uber items will make the bigest difference to your pvp play.

The one thing i wanted in the game was the piccolo which makes people dance and last night it dropped, I don't think I have had quite as much fun as making everyone dance in the AH but moving to each place hehehehehe

Achilles

One of Freddy's beloved
I have 31 days (ppl already in WoW with this much?) over 3.5 years /played on my merc/alb/pryd. He is 50, ML6, rr3l7 <laughable i know :p) and 7 lvl 10 artis and 1x lvl 3... almost done with TOA. Im a casual player who plays to have fun and can generally only play 3 times a week. DAoC is no more of a grind than WoW and imo, the pvp is better (havnt played battle grounds, but from when i played it was 10x the zerg of daoc), the players are more mature and community is nicer. WoW >>DAoC on class balance, but daoc is the best its been for a year now for class balance imo.
WoW is great if you are in a large guild to do all the high level quests, if you are in small guild or on your own its a huge grind.
P.S lakas come back to daoc you whore. :touch:
Regards,

Turamber

Part of the furniture
DAoC is horrible and showing it's age. Still if you prefer it please go play it -- although to be less than RR4 it's debatable just how much you know about PvP in the game anyhoo.

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
SI:

Pl a char to 50, spellcraft gear, do some easy quests for items. Bingo! Capped char ready for combat.

TOA: The above, then continue with farming scrolls, farming artifacts, leveling artifacts, doing mls, getting hard ml items. :D

Hard to adjust to todays minimums like "go to this instance 10+ times to win the dreadmist robe" :).

As of now in WOW you just have to raid instances for your gear so it is not so bad I guess. I wonder how much this can be complified. If they just add new items people can just skip old high end instances and get the new items instead.

Hmm hmm :)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
You can also just PvP and buy the PvP items, they're very cheap (pvp boots cost me ~2.5g).

nikolas

Fledgling Freddie
Actually I've found item template building more of a grind that in daoc.

I came back to Daoc from SWG after toa had been patched (roughly 4 weeks). On the 2nd day I managed to complete a ful ML1 raid, and then Usp's master lvl zerg started. I managed to complete ml1-10 in roughly 3.5 weeks of play… lucky me, but I did this never the less.

I guild farmed artefacts and used cash to purchase the items I wanted for my first toa pvp template in the 5 weeks that later followed.

At least with toa with good team play / good guild the items you wanted were easily obtained, In wow farming purple items imo isn't an option, and the prices on the AH are at times ridiculous.

I don't dislike the wow system by any means, I completed Strath/Scholomance in roughly 20 raids and consider myself to have excellent items… Wow often comes down to luck other than planning like in daoc. In daoc/toa you could plan a guild arte raid with a full group plus a couple of animists, but you were guaranteed a high lvl of success.

I've been doing pvp pretty much 75% of the time for the last 3 weeks, and I have to say I'm enjoying it a great deal tbh. I'm also an alchemist so I generate a decent income by creating pots from high end zones that I also use for pvp, so I can make cash and do pvp at the same time.

I've got roughly 900 gold saved up currently, but I'm not going to waste it on items now… gonna save it and spend on items patched later. Wow is only in its infancy atm, and imo the item database will have grown considerably in about 2 years time… I can't wait tbh :) rock on! Especially with BG's pending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom