Italy vs Sweden

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
Personally I think Italy should've won it. They should've had at least one in the back of the net after the first one went in. Well done to Sweden though, they held on and got a result that might help them through to the next stage.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Dillinja said:
Personally I think Italy should've won it. They should've had at least one in the back of the net after the first one went in. Well done to Sweden though, they held on and got a result that might help them through to the next stage.

I think I witnessed the WORST and the BEST game of the tournie so far. Bulgaria's was a terrible game of football.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Yeah, Bulgaria were unbelievably uncreative - I've seen Conference sides play better football.

But atleast Denmark won :D And damn, that last shot Ebbe Sand had should ahve gone in.... could really use the goal difference.

If Italy beat Bulgaria, as they probably will, that leaves Italy with 5 points.
Whoever wins between Denmark and Sweden wll go through..... what a derby :D

Hopefully, a 4-4 draw or something equally exciting would be ace.

:)

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
italy played better yes

but thats only if you talk about the first half

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I thoroughly enjoyed the game tonight, thought Italy were looking awesome in the first half, Panucci and Zambrotta were really wreacking havoc on the wings. Cassano raised his game and scored a superb header, and Del Piero filled Totti's shoes admiably, bringing some of the old tricks out. You felt he had a point to prove tonight. However halfway through the second half Trap tried to shut up shop, bringing off Cassano and later Del Piero, leaving a largely ineffectual Vieri up front to practice lobbing the cross bar. And these tactics got what they deserved with an awesome Swedish goal - I'm glad Ibrahimovic is on his way to Juve apparently. I missed the goal unfortunately and the spell of play around it, however up until then Sweden had looked dangerous.

All in all a fair result.

Miles_Binck

Fledgling Freddie
i think the way it is shaping up if Sweden and Denmark draw 2-2 or greater then Italy will be going home (even if they put 6 past Bulgaria)

I listened to it on the radio at work tonight, it sounded like the best game of the tournament so far once I get home I will watch it since I Sky+'ed it.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
It wouldn't make any difference if Denmark and Sweden drew 7-7 because the goals would cancel eachother out. Denmark will not want to hope to go through on goal difference. They will be looking for a win and with that in mind I am looking forward to the Sweden and Denmark game very much. :)

Miles_Binck

Fledgling Freddie
what I was trying to point out is that the group stages aren't decided on goal difference alone, it is decided by Number of points obtained in the matches between the teams in question then a few other choices.

Source

It is to complicated to work out but some genius has done it and said that if Denmark and Sweden draw 2-2 or greater Italy will be on the plane home, any other draw (0-0 or 1-1) the group could be decided on many different things including a penalty shootout between all 3 teams.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Dillinja said:
I am looking forward to the Sweden and Denmark game very much. :)

Same here. Sweden have been one of the best teams in the tournament. The game last night was definately the best so far. There is quite a rivallry between Sweden and Denmark so the game should be a cracker.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Dillinja said:
It wouldn't make any difference if Denmark and Sweden drew 7-7 because the goals would cancel eachother out. Denmark will not want to hope to go through on goal difference. They will be looking for a win and with that in mind I am looking forward to the Sweden and Denmark game very much. :)

Denmark needs 2-2 or better to through.

Italy can win 100- 0 against bulgaria, and still not go through if The Denmark - Sweden Game ends 2-2

Points first -
Result between the equal pointed teams
Goal difference for the matches between the 3 sides will be 0 if Denmark Draws with Sweden
So they use goals FOR between the contested teams.
Since Italy have scored one goal, Sweden one, and Denmark 0, Italy and Sweden will go through if Italy wins, and the Denmark - Sweden game is 0-0

If it's 1-1, it's ALL goals FOR (which takes account the goals scored against Bulgaria, so if Italy win 2-0, or more, then they will have more goals FOR than Denmark.

At 2-2, Denmark will have scored 2 goals between Denmark, Sweden and Italy, Sweden will have scored 3, and Italy will have scored 1.
Hence italy will be out regardless of the Bulgaria score, since they can't score any more goals against the sides that matter.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom