IT Qualifications/Recommendations

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
I’ve been moaning at my current job knowing that I wont be doing myself any future favors by staying there; so its time to move on. The major problem I have is the lack of qualifications. I’m far from thick and have a greater knowledge of computing/networking than pretty much all other people I have met in day to day business. Since I need to keep working to keep the mortgage flowing I’ve looked at doing the self study MCSE programs that run, but am really put off by the ££££ asking price for each of them.

I’m really trying to find out if anyone here has done such courses and would recommend them?

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
strangely enough, I was looking at Open University courses the other day to see if its worth getting qualifications in some form of IT related thing. The thing that struck me was the cost, and since Ive already got an Engineering degree, Im reluctant to spend X thousand pounds just to do a "nice to have" course.

I dont know much about the MCSE stuff, although Ive heard (like you say) that its expensive even to get the basic levels, and Im not sure if they dont have to be refreshed every few years or so, like the Cisco stuff.

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
I too looked at Open University. Its like £200 though to do some small module that I cant see being any use. An MCSE/Cisco Certification looks to be the best bet.

However £5000 for a 15 day boot camp? :(

Like the missus says though, if it gets you a decent wage its worth it.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Can't remember who it was but someone on these boards did a course in india which was cisco certification and an mcse or something for a lot cheaper than that, If i recall correctly....but im not sure I do :(

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Dunno bout the UK but here MCSE is wurth slightly more then the paper its writen on.
good money makers atm seem Oracle and Cisco, tho i wouldnt recomment cisco if you dont have any actualy expiriance with cisco stuff

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
I would agree, from what i have read on my job searches everyone seems to want J2EE and Oracle, get some qualifications in those and I think you will be..hmmm..whats the word...oh.. minted!!! :D

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Hello,
you may want to check out Scouse's India thing here and possibly ask him some follow up questions ? I have seen him post recently :)

Later

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Be wary about being caught out on the old "no experience" trump card. It was my number one problem job hunting after uni - a wad of qualifications but not actual real work experience.

Took me over a year to get a job.

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
FWIW I agree with Big G - get all your practical experience down on the CV, and tailor it so each application highlights areas they are looking for (but you knew that already I rekon!).

If you really want to get more qualifications, then J2EE is currently popular, the Sun exams don't cost too much, but you will need decent revision guides and probably at least one course before the exam. There are also online sample exams you can take and retake until you are happy to go for it..

Similarly .NET technologies are being looked for now - part of MSCE but doable separately I think...

HTH,
Phil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom