ISP's...which r the best??

O

old.Nemesis

My isp has shut down and i can't find a new one
I need one which has UK access with no call charges or subscription or monthly charge

Thanx

O

old.QorbeQ

Oh my sweet lord nemesis. You want a totally free ISP? X-Stream stylee? G'luck...

O

old.Gunner

Try Freeserve - £10 a month (rebated against phone calls) gets you 24x7 free access AND they don't stop you playing games, like most of the others. It's not the fastest ISP I've ever used (I usually get a ping of around 160 on BW servers) but it's worth it (no more 400 quid phone bills). It takes a couple of weeks to set up, and you must have a BT line though, not cable or anything.
Does anyone else have experience of Freeserve?

O

old.Ashes

Try World Online...

Although you have to transfer your BT account (if you have one and you must) onto World Online, once you are there, you can have 24hr 'free' access for about £5 month more expensive line rental (I think!).

As a Screaming.Net original customer I elected to stay on the original plan - totally free off peak calls with no extra line rental
icon6.gif
which works out brill as I have to work for a living!

Just ma two cents...

------------------
Ashes.
Carpe Carbine

[This message has been edited by Ashes (edited 09 August 2000).]

O

old.Nemesis

Thank u all who have replied...keep em coming...

Thanx

O

old.Nemesis

Thanx 4 ur replys all!!!!:p
Unfortunately i have given up on finding a totally free isp 4 the UK... :(
So far the best i can find is Freeserve...
with £5, 4 unlimited access on peak and weekends...Can some1 better that???
Hit me back on if u think u can :D

O

old.Kez

WorldOnline ffs.

BT line has to be made WO - (£20-40 roughly)
£15/month line rental, for 24/7 free connect.

from my experience,

I can dialup first time, every time. (something that I value alot :D)
I get 130-200 pings @ normal usage hours (6pm - 11pm)

it r0x0rs.

O

old.dougle

World online isn't worth it, once you get it you're tied into to a 12 month contract, so you won't be able to get ISDN or ADSL when they become cheaper/availible because you need a BT line. Also I used to be with them and was ripped off seriously (constant billing errors, engaged tones etc)

O

old.Kez

er, I've been with them since the thursday they opened, so I forgot about the year contract thing.

incidently the billing thing was a localtel/screaming.net thing, and since WO started there have been very few billing errors, and even when there were under localtel's ownership, it was all refunded I suspect.

O

old.Nemesis

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kez:
I can dialup first time, every time. (something that I value alot :D)
I get 130-200 pings @ normal usage hours (6pm - 11pm)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
:p

What modem u use to get That great ping?? :D

[This message has been edited by Nemesis (edited 11 August 2000).]

O

old.Kez

the skank known as a diamond supra express (ext.)

O

old.dougle

argh I just got another bill from World Online today, even tho I left left in MAY!
The bill is also wrong they are supposed to give you 10days to pay your bill put they always go out late so they break some kind of law there. Going with WO is suicidal, there are complete bastards.

O

old.Nemesis

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kez:
the skank known as a diamond supra express (ext.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WTF DOES THAT MEAN??? :( :confused:

O

old.TUG

I use worldonline and there is fuck all up wid it. Good pings, good DL speeds, good browsing speed and they keep forgetting to bill me which is a fucking definite plus! :D

O

old.dougle

you'll get billed eventually, one great big bill, happend to me and others I know who used it.

*12 month contract* for a service that is not consistant, need I say more?

[This message has been edited by dougle (edited 11 August 2000).]

[This message has been edited by dougle (edited 11 August 2000).]

O

old.TUG

the performance is consistent anyway for me, good performance at that :)

I aint bothered about paying the bill in one big lump, as long as they don't overcharge

O

old.Nemesis

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gunner:
Try Freeserve - £10 a month (rebated against phone calls) gets you 24x7 free access AND they don't stop you playing games, like most of the others. It's not the fastest ISP I've ever used (I usually get a ping of around 160 on BW servers) but it's worth it (no more 400 quid phone bills). It takes a couple of weeks to set up, and you must have a BT line though, not cable or anything.
Does anyone else have experience of Freeserve?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah..thats a good 1...i would use the 4 quid offer they have as i don't use peak times. :D

Thanx 4 telling about this

O

old.Kez

well I saved £356 this month with WO/Screaming.net because I leave puter' on all day, every day. so my £15 a month (tho it was £30 this month coz of failed billing on their part) is well worth it.

O

old.frankie

same ere wit ezesurf

never have to worry bout bill again

set up so it connects after boot

dunce is well handy

------------------
----------------------
-------------------------
----------------------
DR_FRANKENSTIEN

http://www.lairman.co.uk

for web page designing service

O

old.Nemesis

On ezesurf it said u have to buy £40 of shares to get in.... :(

O

old.Kez

wtf is dunce? (I assume its a dun thingie)

webpage? :D

O

old.DAiSHi

im using worldonline and i ping at around 180 (l8 at nite) to 280.at peak times you do tend to get rerouted half way around the friggin world.peak times ive had pings of upto 800+

O

old.cyBeR_pImP

im using surf unlimted and the way its been going the last few weeks i'll probably never get to finish this messag..

O

old.ED209

i got a letter thru from my isp (worldonline) saying they maybe stopping the free 24/7 cos of BT not sorting out the FRIASCO or sumthin......

O

old.TUG

No m8, not stopping, just maybe revising the pricing structure.

S

Stazbumpa

I use WO myself and have very few problems with them. The DL and ping speeds are pretty good. The FRIACO system is about ISP's buying their Net access as a job lot from the BT exchanges, thus enabling them to flog it on to us for a flat fee (as they have been doing already). The FRIACO setup was supposed to happen in June but BT being BT, they are dragging their heels about it and the whole thing is fucked up. They still charge the ISP's by the minute, something that was supposed to disappear under FRIACO. As for ADSL, it will kill ISDN completely (ISDN being BT's baby) and thats one of the reasons that it has taken so long to arrive on these British shores.
BT don't like it.
ADSL works down a normal phone line and the difference is the MODEM you have and the connection at the BT exchange.
Anyway, with the prices being quoted at the mo' for ADSL connection, Ithink i'll stick to WO and my crappy 56k MODEM for the time being, until OFTEL get their act together and tell BT to fuck off.

Keep smiling

Staz

------------------
Above all things, to thine own-self be true.

O

old.Nemesis

Well...the best i can find is freeserve still, though http://www.redhotant.com/ is quite good. :D
I heard that NTL's 0800 service rocks, though it's hard to get a cd 4 it. Plus i don't get NTL in my area (NOOOO!!!) :(
Plus what modem should i get to get the great pings i see on 56k modems??I get like 300-400 ping!!!!!Most people get like 90-120 ping on what they say is a 56k!!!

Someone,help me, please.. :confused:

[This message has been edited by Nemesis (edited 11 September 2000).]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom