Isp

K

keludm

Can anyone recommend a good unmetered 56k ISP as BT are bleating about the time I spend online

O

old.tRoG

dont join satan in aohell!

sure, there might be no cut off, and they dont whine about the time you spend online, but the connection is, to be quite frank...

CRAP!

J

Jupitus

I use Demon Internet with a surftime package... costs 40 quid per month total (ouch) but no call charges and reasonable service and no 2hr etc...

Good Luck.

R

Roo Stercogburn

I used to use the Demon service with the same BT Anytime package as Jup... strange thing was I got more a reliable connection on the analog channel than on the digital channel of my ISDN, may have been my hardware at the time though.

Telewest are bringing out a gamer targetted version of cablemodem which runs at 128K and should cost £15 a month roughly, don't know when the service is due to be available though. I got this from a tame cableguy I know at Smellyvest. Since this is roughly the same price as most monthly ISP packages its in the ballpark to be very competitive. Expect other ISPs to be doing the same. It will make cablemodem much more viable for many peeps :)

D

Danya

Get ADSl/cable. It's worth it. :)

On the £15/mo cable, that's not really that competive with ADSL. I pay £22.50 for 512k adsl, that's 4 times as fast for 1.5 times the cost. :p

S

Slinker

Aye , I use telewest , got cable and it costs £25 a month unlimited access , ask your local cable peeps :)

R

Roo Stercogburn

Yep, I use the £25 per month package too from Telewest, however, some peeps are more sensitive to that extra £10 per month than others and for gameplaying purposes 128K is usually more than adequate.

Remember that line quality makes a big difference since data packets don't need to be resent as often on digital connections as on analog so you get performance increase from that alone. Ths is one of the ways in which ISDN scores over basic analog a lot, even though the increase from 56K to 64K (single channel of course) might not seem that much in the first instance.

T

talen_sun

So long as you dont mind a 2 hour cutoff time, use Freeserve. It's about £14 a month, and I am connected pretty much 24 hours a day.

Set the dial-up to auto reconnect, and you're sorted.

I've been running it since November and rarely stay offline for any length of time, and never once have Freeserve said cut down on the time online...

Always get a good connection, I think the last time I had a problem was January time... and i think i couldnt connect for all of maybe 10 mins, it was while they were setting up their new routers and modem racks to cope with demand. Since then, always connect without engaged tones...

In fact, the only time I can't connect is when someone leaves a message on 1571... and thats cause the modem doesnt detect a dial tone as it becomes intermittent until you have picked up the message... Damn BT, damn them to hell!!!

Talen

V

Vell

I use ntlworld:home. Unlimited internet usage, at any time of the day, 24-7-365. You get a 2 hour auto-cutoff, but that's ok as long as you learn to play round it. The service can sometimes be really dodgy (3am my connection goes potty, but I should really be in bed then anyway) but it's generally ok.
It cost £10 a month, or £5 if you also have a ntl phone line (which is cheaper than bt anyway, and has better customer service). If you want to know more let me know, I can find stuff out. Not sure what the website is tbh but I could find out for you.

T

Tasans

With BT Openworld 512/64 Adsl i used to pay 40 quid each month and the installation fee of around 75. The connection was stable and the dl speed great. Though they kinda bind you for a 12 month contract (meaning 480 quid for the first year).

T

talen_sun

Dannyn,

I know, but I also like to know if anyone is trying to get hold of me...

You never know, it could be someone trying to give me a Lotto win... I doubt it... but it might be :D :D :D

Talen

G

Gog

Originally posted by Vell
I use ntlworld:home...........Not sure what the website is tbh but I could find out for you.

http://www.ntl.com by any chance? :)

I use Blueyonder 1meg @ £39.99/month - would be £35 but I've got a BT line cos I like the light-user scheme (I dont phone anyone!) Was previously on the 512k for £30/month, and I cant say I've had any problems whatsoever with the service - apart from the maintenance upgrades, which I've always known about in advance, and the national outage last week.

Like others, I would recommend upgrading to a broadband connection if you can afford it, and can get it. If you cant, I played the start of the DAOC beta with freeserve, and had no problems, apart from the 2h cut-off.

On the otherhand, you could look at http://www.net4nowt.com and read some of the reviews there, and choose.

Hope you get a good one with no problems whatever you choose :)

M

milithiel

ntlworld cable service

512k / 128k

if you rent the modem its £25 a month, if you buy it, its £20 a month. dont know how much it is for fitting cos i got it fit for free :p

K

keludm

i would get broadband but its not available here (might have to firebomb the exchange s it gets uprated:) ) - im just after a 56k dial up with no bloody linkdeads - its got so bad a t moment i cant go into cammy so have to run up to swanton to train - this is really annoying.

does freeuk and freeserve have a 2 hr cutoff?

B

bob_monkhouse

I used to use Free serve but recenlty its gone down the swanny (mm didnt a certain wankadoo buy them too?) Now i use Aohel and find the connection rocks wtith no cut off etc.I hate using it but it is stable and lets me stay online for ever....which is GREAT since thats usally the time it takes to get a fuckin group on these dead ass servers :/

W

wolvon fury

hehe, am Probilly the only person in the world to use AOL Broadband, since i used to use AOhell, i got 10% off, woo,
Seems to work ok, not sure what the price is, i pay £25 a months for it.

R

Rollie

i strongly advise anyone not to get BTopenhell, they are an appauling network run by circus monkeys, ive had 10 months of hell from BT, if you consider ADSL look here for help finding you an isp in your area

www.adslguide.org

NTL is a good cable company to go with if you can get it, same goes for telewest/blueyonder i hear, but please dont go neat BT.

cheers

W

wolvon fury

To be honest, i think BT and more evil than AOL,

Bt kept billing me at £30 a month for a service i was not using for 6 months, i remember i ws on them, when i played UT.

i went to connect on irc, and it said i was k-lined, clicked on a link why, said,

"All BT users have been banned from are IRC due to the actions of there members, BT, agai took them nearly 2 months to sort it out, means i couldent chat to friends via irc for 2 months. BLOODY AWFULL.

sickofit, plan your evil plans on BT, and do la' world some good

O

old.dittytwo

People people

BT=Crap
AOL=(i can not even put into words what i think of this company and fucking conny)

MOST ISPs =OK

ISPS i have used and would recomend

www.sniffout.com= excelent CS, connection and well apart form the deal i had (2hr cut of time) their deals are by far the best for the connection and speed

www.pipex.com
WOW ADSL £23 PM and that is it no connection charges that is it and you are not even tied down, have never lost connection CS is for a big company a little pants but then have not had any problems..

It alos looks like BT are going to put the prices of ADSL up agian anyway so most people might be better off getting cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom