ISDN vs 56K

K

keludm

Im upgrading to ISDN (and before you say it no I cant get ADSL or Cable).

Can anyone:

a) Recommend a good ISP (BT is awful)

b) Comment on any improvement seen in regard to LDs lag etc which to date have been awful.

R

R1PP3R

free server do BB have a look for there stuff!!!

Z

Zebarmy

If you're willing to pay (and I'm not sure you are :p), then Demon have been VERY good for me.

only issue is, I pay approx £40 a month, but that's with my connection permanently connected :) Yes I know that's more expensive than DSL, but hey, I live in the sticks, we takes what we can ;)

(That's £20 approx for Surftime anytime with BT, and £20 approx with Demon)

So no call charges... which was nice.

There is no cut off period either.

Zebby

K

keludm

Yeah - demon have always been good but im afraid thats a bit dear for me (Im in the sticks too and its a real pain).

O

old.amoeba

Check out http://www.fast24.net/

Its competitively priced - but more important for daoc the cut-off is > 2 hours (I have been online for 6 1/2 before).

M

Myshra

Broadband is cheaper than isdn now :/ for hte performance gain i wouldn't pay the money they want.

R

R1PP3R

i herd that freeserv were doing BB from a nomal phone line not sure how but goto dixsons and ask there!

O

old.Biffsmash

I have friends that play on 56k dialup and before we got adsl at work I played from work dial up too. I havent noticed a real difference between the BT Broadband and the Freeserve dialup before it.

IMO I would stick with dial up, I had ISDN at home and it overpriced and IMO not really much better than dial up.

W

wolvon fury

£40 a month,

Yikes for that price i would go on a modem for £15 a month
But i like fast internet so upgraded to broadband to £30 a month

Z

Zebarmy

Modem is too slow for me, I've been using ISDN for too long.. I'd miss it, if I switched back now. Besides, 9Kb/s - 16Kb/s vs 4.5Kb/s sells it for me :p

I move to London soon anyway :)

Got myself lined up for 8Mb/s SDSL... With no contention ratio :) (I'll still have ISDN as backup though ;)) Can you say yum? :)

I can... YUM!

Zebby

M

Molten Lava

8Mbit connection

hehe well I have been the lucky owner of a Dutch 8Megabit connexxion (Cistron) since january...I can say downloading stuff from sites with 600-800kb/s is nice...but for the game :( I get as much (maybe even more :) lagg as 56k modem players....The game is made for 56k so any faster connection wont help i think...

I have a 100GB download limit and pay 99Euro per month....for downloading stuff thats worth it....for playing this game not.....

S

sendar

how about...

give me a day mates..... I work for an ISP...
I may bebable to setup and 0845 connection number that u can all use for free. hows that sound?
the calls will be charged at your local rate, but, u dont pay anything else.
Also... u wont get a mail address, or web account, purely a dial-up account that runs at ISDN or 56k/v90. I use it when my cable modem goes down.... just gotta get permission to let u guys use it too ;)
watch this space

Z

Zebarmy

mmm lo - call rate you mean :)

That's what 0845 is (I also work for an ISP - not Demon, even tho I use them :p)

I moved away from the pay as you surf option deliberately; I'd rather pay flat rate for my access, as I am a heavy (read 24x7 almost) user. Lo - Call rate is a penny a minute off peak, and up to 4 pence a minute at peak times

Off Peak is normally counted as 19:00-07:00 which = 720 minutes, or £7.20

On Peak is the rest of the hours (ie 07:00-19:00) also 720 minutes @ 4p = £28.50

so a weekday's connection for me = £36.00

Weekends are generally considered all offpeak = £14.40 per day

Weeks worth of calls = approx £203.80 - Bleurgh :) (Been there done that - not nice!) I don't have a net addiction honest ;)

AFAIK BT Surftime Anytime does not work with 0845 numbers.

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment... no ta :)

Zebby

O

old.Alliandre

Well you could start working for BT and get a nice buisness line and make them pay for everything :) Fine for me. Ah yes. I don't pay for the ISDN either. To far out in the middle of nowhere to be able to get Broadband though :(

And fast24 only lets you have up to a 64k ISDN connection compared to the normal 128k. I just signed back up to BT after they kicked me off for using it to long on each day. Just need to get the password sorted out for it

S

sendar

done

Zebby... thats fine, im the same, im a very heavy user. But there were a few people on here that were not, and did not want to pay £40 a month for the net connection. This only leaves lo-call numbers as an option for them.
I have setup the line for anyone to use, use for backup if you want for those OH SO ANNOYING times when your main ISP goes down.

Number: 0845 6609380
Username: daocxxxx where xxxx is a random 4 digit number (you choose)
pass: daocrules

Its a standard dialup account that runs on most types of ISDN and modem (not multilink, though you can try).
I wont beable to support this... cos then we would have to charge for the poor engineer to answer ure mails/calls, so ask a friend if u have problems. Its a generally reliable line, for a year I have never had problems with it.

anyway, hope this helps yall in some way :)

Sendar Silvershadow

E

elryrith

Best places to gain info on isps is

www.ispreview.co.uk for idal-up/isdn etc

for DSL go to

www.adslguide.org.uk

As DAOC only uses on average 3k per sec it aint that much of a problem even on dialup

2 people on our guild use a shared 56k modem connection and they play fine

In my view DSL is the one and only way to go when you take other things into mind

I use pipex and in direct dissagreement to most other users find it great

had 6 months of constant up time and great pings

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom