Is this the future of griefing?

Ashandar

Fledgling Freddie
I saw this posted on the US boards (yeh I know :p) but in reading the issue, I was more concerned with the method employed by the accuse, one which I had not given any real thought to … until now…

The story goes (to cut a long story short) a guy was selling an item:-

"So, I was advertising a recipe in Trade chat"

Some other guy wanted it but couldn’t afford it:-

" He says he can't afford the buyout"

The 2nd guy then promptly sulked, and went off on his own to find out where to get the recipe

" I logged out, but returned later ... I had received a letter … he did some research and discovered where to buy said item. He also told me the price I paid for it, which was just shy of opening bid (20s shy, in fact.) He said that if I knowingly sold it at such high prices as I was selling it, I was a scammer. "

Now not a major issue here.. HOWEVER it’s this that I took heed and umbrage to:-

"I had received a letter."

The fact is, in my opinon, the potential to abuse from 'mail bombing' is very real and could be deemed as griefing!
Imagine being on a PvP server in particular and a ‘kiddie’ who you have just soundly whooped, or someone who you didn’t sell an item too, or someone who you didn’t drop everything and help out? What if they decide to send you continued abuse to your mail box???? What’s to stop them (or alts or Guilds) currently (short of reporting it?). I don’t want a perceived slight by me, to be turned into a mail abuse!

The mail is there to be used for beneficial purposes imo… not spam wars!!!! :twak:

Is this a potential issue? Is this a sign of the times? Am I concerned for naught?!

Elenos

Fledgling Freddie
is there no ignore function or junk mail button ... never played WoW in beta yet so clutching at straws

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
there is either an ignore button or you can probably report the spamming idiot to gm's or you can do both. Wouldnt know as I havent played the game yet :/

Krunch-X

Fledgling Freddie
No, IIRC the mail system is quite basic, you can only attach one (perhaps 2, but for sure it's really limited) item per mail as well.

I think the threat of WoW-Mail abuse is low however as Blizzard have demonstrated that they will apply suspensions and bans. After all .. abusing someone is one thing, but doing it by sending mail just gives you solid proof to show the GMs.

Ashandar

Fledgling Freddie
Krunch-X said:
No, IIRC the mail system is quite basic, you can only attach one (perhaps 2, but for sure it's really limited) item per mail as well.

I think the threat of WoW-Mail abuse is low however as Blizzard have demonstrated that they will apply suspensions and bans. After all .. abusing someone is one thing, but doing it by sending mail just gives you solid proof to show the GMs.

Whilst i agree with u.. still i dont want some punk a$$ thinking he can send me $hit as and when he feels he can! I have enough with whispers as it i s :m00: I just hope this isnt something that we might see in the future...

Krunch-X

Fledgling Freddie
It's a shame we can't post in the darned official forums and get an answer from Blizzard themselves :/

You could always mail them on their support email address ... I contacted them prior to the release of War3 with some questions, and got a poilte and informative response :D

Lones555

Fledgling Freddie
there is a charge to send emails although it's not a lot (22 copper?) so I guess that might put off some people.

Stekkerdoos

Fledgling Freddie
The difference here is that you can clearly see where it comes from. All you need to do is report him/her and im sure they will get some warning or other actions will be taken. If this becomes a big problem, im sure an ignore/drop mail from xxxxx will be added

Ashandar

Fledgling Freddie
Stekkerdoos said:
The difference here is that you can clearly see where it comes from. All you need to do is report him/her and im sure they will get some warning or other actions will be taken. If this becomes a big problem, im sure an ignore/drop mail from xxxxx will be added

Aye true... however there are some ppl who will gladly, say, create multiple chars maybe on diff accounts designed specifically to spam 'hate mail' to someone... this is what im most bothered about... wheres theres a will, theres a way!

Good point Krunch-X ... i might just do that! :worthy:

Chesnox

Fledgling Freddie
From a FAQ on WoW Mail System :-

"Players on Ignore list will not be be able to send mail to those ignoring them."

If someone is hellbent on spammng you with alts its really easy to nail them for disruptive play. Just contact a GM asap, and your problem should be sorted very quickly.

I can see this being a minor nuisance, but I don't see many ways for determined pests to grief other players via chat or the mail system.

Stekkerdoos

Fledgling Freddie
Aye true... however there are some ppl who will gladly, say, create multiple chars maybe on diff accounts designed specifically to spam 'hate mail' to someone... this is what im most bothered about... wheres theres a will, theres a way!
I know, but a char is connected to an account. Let's hope Blizzard is smart enough to take actions that deal with accounts and not with chars.

Cigies

Fledgling Freddie
Lones555 said:
there is a charge to send emails although it's not a lot (22 copper?) so I guess that might put off some people.

30 copper per mail to be precise, and you are limited to one attatched item per mail sent, or money.

Personally I love the mail system in WoW it's one of those simple little touches that makes the game great. I love the fact that you can sell items by mail, by sending them as C.O.D. (cash on delivery) mails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom