Is this legal?

Laddey

FH is my second home
Downloading windows XP Pro and putting in a genuine serial key that i paid for? >.< If so, can i get the windows xp torrent off Microsoft or another genuine website?

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
It's a good question, if you have paid for a product but say lost the software in a crash, your product key is still valid I'd imagine.

So if you download/and or borrow an xp copy and use your own paid for product key surely that would be ok, I've no idea tho.

I guess the problem would come from 'where did/do you download it from' to be charged wouldn't they have to prove you had malicious intent to either a) use the software without a valid serial number or b)sell the software on or allow it to be further downloaded.

Eble

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Downloading windows XP Pro and putting in a genuine serial key that i paid for? >.< If so, can i get the windows xp torrent off Microsoft or another genuine website?

thats ok no problem with that legally, as long as you have a genuine serial key and its used on just one machine.

:m00:

Laddey

FH is my second home
Mkay. I did have the CD. Dunno where it is though.

What i'm going to do though, is use a torrent site to download XP. Stick it on CD. Install it then use my genuine serial key to put in. I wont sell the cd or anything.

Don't think thats illegal is it? :)

- English -

Resident Freddy
lol laddy...

its not like they're gonna come raiding your houes to check if your OS is valid....

if they did, i would be in prison for life for the amount of stuff on my HD :D

Laddey

FH is my second home
lol laddy...

its not like they're gonna come raiding your houes to check if your OS is valid....

if they did, i would be in prison for life for the amount of stuff on my HD :D

lol yeah me to. I'm formatting now. I'm paranoid as a motherfucker. Getting arrested for that, getting a criminal record, and i want to be a teacher lol.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Targeting home users with legal threats over unlicensed isn't exactly very profitable. The software companies still try to make it awkward for casual piracy with online activation and serial keys. I wouldn't be too paranoid unless you start selling illegal copies.

Companies need to worry about it as they can get reported for piracy quite easily. The only suitable proof of purchase is a receipt of some sort, a box or key is not sufficient proof of ownership.

If you really are paranoid, do you have a receipt for that software? :p

Laddey

FH is my second home
Targeting home users with legal threats over unlicensed isn't exactly very profitable. The software companies still try to make it awkward for casual piracy with online activation and serial keys. I wouldn't be too paranoid unless you start selling illegal copies.

Companies need to worry about it as they can get reported for piracy quite easily. The only suitable proof of purchase is a receipt of some sort, a box or key is not sufficient proof of ownership.

If you really are paranoid, do you have a receipt for that software? :p

ofc, i don't do piracy!

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie

That's fine, you pay for the license, not the actual media (Well actually the media cost about £20) But so long as you have paid for and are using a legitimate license MS wont' care about where you got the media from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom