Is there such a thing as a lag cheat?

Tomb

Fledgling Freddie
Have been playing in Thid on Excal for a few weeks now to take a break from RvR and generally have an experiment with new toons I have never played before.

What I have noticed and at first I thought it was coincidence or lag maybe a combination of the two, is when I engage or was near some players I would lag extremely badly to the point of freezing up by which time these players have engaged and killed me then run off, and after they do so low and behold the lag vanishes, this being the same players over again and having no effects near different ones.

If it was a server problem then I would expect it would have an effect on everyone but these people seemed unaffected, and this has happened on numourous occasions.

I am not naming anyone since there might actually be a logical explanation, my system and connection is more than adequate to run the game so thats not the problem.

I was wondering if anybody else has encountered anything like this before?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
is it always the same person that lags you?

Might be some texture or effect on a weapon they're using that's causing your client to lock up...

have you tried upgrading your graphics card drivers and directx?

Firebirth

Fledgling Freddie
What kind of PC Specifications are you using and with which client, its sounds as if its possible that a poor system specification maybe causing your system to slow down when displaying models and effects up close. Mythics games is notorisly system hungry by nature so you need an above minimuim for smooth play.

What is your perf meter registering ?

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Fiddle a bit with DAoC's cache settings. Oh, and defragmentate a lot.
In the old frontiers, my client seemed to load Mid skins a lot faster than Hib ones. I wonder why ;-)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Daedalus said:
Fiddle a bit with DAoC's cache settings. Oh, and defragmentate a lot.
In the old frontiers, my client seemed to load Mid skins a lot faster than Hib ones. I wonder why ;-)

I always found mids to be more laggy than hibs... trolls in particular.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Tomb said:
this being the same players over again and having no effects near different ones.

this is the odd bit - have you released or zoned in between each encounter with these people?

it sounds like it's one or two or a number of particular textures or effects that are causing the grief.

Tomb

Fledgling Freddie
All the drivers are up to date and the system is far above the spec needed, I will tweak a few things.

Thanks for the information.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Tomb said:
All the drivers are up to date and the system is far above the spec needed, I will tweak a few things.

Thanks for the information.

another thing could be try a "full file check" when logging into daoc, along with defragging your hard drive.

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:
another thing could be try a "full file check" when logging into daoc, along with defragging your hard drive.
But only in that order :)

Tomb

Fledgling Freddie
Flim its when I get close to these people after running around in a busy zone without any problems previously, so I will have a look at all the suggestions from above.

Cheers guys.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Had a guildmate that used to crash when encountering certain players in rvr because a gfx file had been corrupted, so when the game tried loading the gfx for certain items it would crash. Belive he solved it by reinstalling daoc.

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
It's whenever an armsman fires the snapshot ability and whips out his xbow. Your pc freezes in terror, allowing said armsman to kill you at will. It's solved by rolling an armsman yourself so that your system desensitises to the shock.
:D

Vindicator

One of Freddy's beloved
Bracken said:
It's whenever an armsman fires the snapshot ability and whips out his xbow. Your pc freezes in terror, allowing said armsman to kill you at will. It's solved by rolling an armsman yourself so that your system desensitises to the shock.
:D

lol :D

Finally, possibly the worst class-RA, Vindicated! :D

As for the problem for the poster. Reinstall, update gfx drivers. Should fix the problem, its a corrupted image file on your pc most likely.

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
well, loading a model/texture can cause a short lockup on slower comps...

so in theory, a group could carry a set of different weapons through which they all scroll at the same time when they get in combat (loading all these weapons at the same time could cause lockups on slower systems, if these arent loaded yet)

but i doubt it would work... :p

Jeriraa

Fledgling Freddie
I remember a certain Hib group causing my DAoC to crash to desktop whenever I faced them. Was shortly after TOA release and the next patch seemed to have fixed it. Was wierd thou because it didnt just happen to me... once 5 outa the 8 of our fixed group went LD when said hibs rushed in only seconds after we killed a fg albs. Everyone who had been facing them ld'd and the remaining ones got slain.

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Its usually caused by a gfx error. Try reinstalling daoc.

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
My client used to crash whenever a pally did a certain chant not sure which one, and also when savages did a certain buff-shout. So I played with effects on self until I realised I had corrupt gfx files so I reinstalled DAoC.

Also, if you have plenty of ram, try putting caching on pre-load all textures, this should make encountering enemies not as laggy, but will make loading times longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom