Is there any other game that can compete?

Durand

Fledgling Freddie
Hi thing is im little bored of Daoc as it seems. And my question is:

Is there any mmorpg that can compete with Daoc? Things I like about Daoc is there pvp system and not that much of the pve system..=)

So if you got anything to recommend plz do so. And why its so good. Need some new fresh.

PS. I have tried WoW and not that big fan of it. DS.

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
ive not had my own WoW accy....but ive tried it out an it seemed really shit to me too cartoon like....dont think i'll play any other mmorpg tbh.
ye daoc is old but damn its good cos theres so much to do but i think im gonna try mythics new one when it comes out cos i think it would be interesting to see what they have come up with but i think im gonna ride daoc out tbh...to the bitter end!!!

Commandment

Fledgling Freddie
try playing a class with more than 3 buttons, and maybe you might get a challenge :sex:

XenX

Fledgling Freddie
when im bored of daoc i try the free trials and free accounts on korean and chinese games, some of them are really addictive, if you do a search on google or yahoo for free mmorpg theres quite a few, graphics wise most of them suck royally, but in terms of fun and community, most of them are really good. although some are filled with the hacker(script kiddies)/scammer community so thats a bit lame, but good for a quick fix of gaming fun.

XenX

Fledgling Freddie
also i agree with that last guys view of WoW its really cartoon like not my idea of a permanent game i would like to play but again, if u can afford 1 month, give it a go, sometimes it can be quite fun.
oh and also im DEFINITLY gonna get warhammer online, although it doesnt look like they gonna include warhammer 40k stuff like space marines and eldar, which would definitly be my perfect mmorpg, but never mind :p

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Commandment said:
try playing a class with more than 3 buttons, and maybe you might get a challenge :sex:
seems kinda funny comin from some1 with a chanter and a sorc tbh.....sorc is what...mez lt lt lt win.....chanter is pretty much the same from what i can make out. baseline stun pbaoe...

XenX

Fledgling Freddie
hehe and a vampiir and a warlok, at least he has a ranger which needs a bit of skill i suppose :/

XenX

Fledgling Freddie
by the way www.conqueronline.com is a good fun game thats free dont expect good graphics but its a laugh, i have alevel 80 archer on there i could help ya out a bit if u want, not a game to play long term but good fun to log on for a bit every now and again

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Ive played around - many .. many... many MMORPGS and can say hand on heart DAOC has the best PvP by far - it really puts all other games to shame.

Currently Im doing some PvE in FFXI (best game for PvE imo hehe)
and RvR in DAOC

XenX

Fledgling Freddie
the games im talking about dont even come in the same league as daoc,, but they fun for a while :p

XenX

Fledgling Freddie
is FFXI pay 2 play? might give it a go while im banned for 3 days (dont ask)

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
XenX said:
is FFXI pay 2 play? might give it a go while im banned for 3 days (dont ask)

yup and you cant download it - so need to buy the box from a computer store (get a free month with it tho) Its a really interesting game, players from all over the world - the group im in tonight people from USA and Japan :) the controlls are strange to get used to - as the game is the same for PS2 (and XBox 360 soon) so its geared up for controllers rather than keyboard/mouse - but its fun.

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
i really enjoy CoH because i can fly around (and wear spandex)!
that and it's somewhat enjoyable to pve in, the pvp is shit though. complete imbalance :/

XenX

Fledgling Freddie
yeh i played it for a while, i did like it alot but yet there was something wrong with it, not the balance, it just didnt seem finished somehow.. you didnt seem to be trying to atcheive anything.. exept the next level o_O

when i join an mmorpg, the first thing i need to see is a really uber max level person who i aspire to become.. on CoH even the max level people didnt seem to have acomplished anything

Ame

Fledgling Freddie
I enjoy Guildwar's PvP over DAoCs because mainly it requires SKILL over NUMBERS. PvE isn't too bad, but its boring as hell when you run a third character through all the missions again.

The PvP on Guildwars rules. You get to instantly create a character at level 20, with max armour, instead of having to spend hours upon hours PvEing it up (like DAoC). There are also different types of PvP. Random Arenas - where a group is made randomly with 3 others in game, and faces another randomly made group. Team Arenas - where you can make a 4-man team to face other 4-man teams.

The proper PvP is through: Guild Versus Guild - where you have a Guildhall that you defend, or attack the enemies guild hall in an epic 8v8 battle. Fights in GvG can last anywhere from 7 minutes, to an hour. Winning in GvG raises your guild rank, which is like a guildwide epeen :D. If your rank is under 100, you get to be on observer for others to watch your battles. GvG requires mostly strategy to win, and quick thinking.

The last type of PvP available is "Heroes Ascent" which is a tournament. You are in a 8-man group, and you have to go through a series of maps to get to the "Hall Of The Heroes". The maps require tactics like GvG, and they have different objectives. Some require a normal 8v8 annihilation.. others require you to hold an altar until the timer ends, and others require you to run relics, where the team at the end with the most wins. Most of these maps are 1 team versus another, though one is a 3 way, another a 4 way and the halls of heroes can be up to 5 teams inside. If you win Hall Of The Heroes your group's name gets spammed across the game, and this decides which side of the game an uber PvE zone is unlocked for.

Besides all this, the main reasons I prefer GW to DAoC is that theres more balance, theres no "zergs" as everywhere is "instanced", no "camping" in pve zones", a large player database, and because theres no monthly subscription charge :D. If you want more information, check the website.

Commandment

Fledgling Freddie
Cemeterygates said:
seems kinda funny comin from some1 with a chanter and a sorc tbh.....sorc is what...mez lt lt lt win.....chanter is pretty much the same from what i can make out. baseline stun pbaoe...

if you took enough time to read my sig , you would see FARMBOT after the chanter.

And sorc in group or solo is a alot more than 3 buttons. any sorc will tell you this. its mezz LTLTLT ml9 SoI kite etc xDDDD no but serousily :p

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
i play eve online to the side... it has a very good pvp system too, but its totally different from daoc system.. the howl game is totally difrent :)

i allso have tryd lineage2 in free servers, but only a lil... so cant comment on that.

W

Whitefall

DAoC is the only mmog worth playing atm, and I've tried all other mmogs, so I know!

Ame

Fledgling Freddie
Whitefall said:
DAoC is the only mmog worth playing atm, and I've tried all other mmogs, so I know!
Tried Minesweeper: Dynasty of a Kingdom?

UBER graphics, UBER story, but PvP could use some tweaking.. as well as class balance.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Ame said:
I enjoy Guildwar's PvP over DAoCs because mainly it requires SKILL over NUMBERS. PvE isn't too bad, but its boring as hell when you run a third character through all the missions again.

The PvP on Guildwars rules. You get to instantly create a character at level 20, with max armour, instead of having to spend hours upon hours PvEing it up (like DAoC). There are also different types of PvP. Random Arenas - where a group is made randomly with 3 others in game, and faces another randomly made group. Team Arenas - where you can make a 4-man team to face other 4-man teams.

The proper PvP is through: Guild Versus Guild - where you have a Guildhall that you defend, or attack the enemies guild hall in an epic 8v8 battle. Fights in GvG can last anywhere from 7 minutes, to an hour. Winning in GvG raises your guild rank, which is like a guildwide epeen :D. If your rank is under 100, you get to be on observer for others to watch your battles. GvG requires mostly strategy to win, and quick thinking.

The last type of PvP available is "Heroes Ascent" which is a tournament. You are in a 8-man group, and you have to go through a series of maps to get to the "Hall Of The Heroes". The maps require tactics like GvG, and they have different objectives. Some require a normal 8v8 annihilation.. others require you to hold an altar until the timer ends, and others require you to run relics, where the team at the end with the most wins. Most of these maps are 1 team versus another, though one is a 3 way, another a 4 way and the halls of heroes can be up to 5 teams inside. If you win Hall Of The Heroes your group's name gets spammed across the game, and this decides which side of the game an uber PvE zone is unlocked for.

Besides all this, the main reasons I prefer GW to DAoC is that theres more balance, theres no "zergs" as everywhere is "instanced", no "camping" in pve zones", a large player database, and because theres no monthly subscription charge :D. If you want more information, check the website.

Guildwars does rock, and because its also free it makes it even more attractive (its also rock solid, never had to queue, never had a server go down on me, never crashed). Balanced pvp, no grind, instant action etc makes for a winner (not to mention the pve is actually very good considering its marketed as a pvp game).

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Commandment said:
if you took enough time to read my sig , you would see FARMBOT after the chanter.

And sorc in group or solo is a alot more than 3 buttons. any sorc will tell you this. its mezz LTLTLT ml9 SoI kite etc xDDDD no but serousily :p
i really cant take that seriously...may not have been serious...but sorcs can drop people in no time considering their mez an LT range. like a tank for example....a good sorc can take a good tank down before they even close enough to hit a sorc

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Fana said:
Guildwars does rock, and because its also free it makes it even more attractive (its also rock solid, never had to queue, never had a server go down on me, never crashed). Balanced pvp, no grind, instant action etc makes for a winner (not to mention the pve is actually very good considering its marketed as a pvp game).

Does have it's drawbacks, due to no subs there's alot of kiddies playing it.
And while I do not mind to group with people from all ages I do however get frustrated by their childish remarks (you cheat because you beat me remarks etc) and their "LeEt TyPiNg SkiLlz" (god I hate when people type like that).
Also the amount of leetist in GW is insane, not only do they need to know what spells you capped, what runes you use, what rank you are but also what you ate last night, how much you weigh and all stuff like that before you are allowed to join a group..

It also got it's FotM stuff but far worse than DAoC FotM, I remember back when I used to play GW the Ranger build we used to win HoH was just non counter-able and the shameless amount of Sigils we won by just abusing that untill Rangers got nerfed to get capped 1000 plats was just wrong.

It's nice to play once in a while and of course extremely balanced as everyone has access to the same things but I would serious rather pay an X amount per month just to get rid of all the kiddies than play for free.

Ozilia

Fledgling Freddie
GW and EVE is really the only games that come close imo.

EVE is fun but very different ofc. Not played it very long so can't really comment on pvp, but if you're into sci-fi it's worth a try.

GW is a very good game. The only problem is I get bored after a while, because the pvp is quite repetetive imo. Everything is instanced so you play the same maps all the time. But if you only play it as a break from daoc, it's very very nice!
Ame's post is a very good description. The best part is that there's almost no grind at all.. everyone is wearing the same armour and weapons, so whoever wins, wins because of superior skill, setup and teamplay.

edit: just one short note regarding Andrylin's post. I have one more big problem with GW, and that's the fotm stuff. Because you can reroll your char in 5 mins, once something becomes the "fotm" build, EVERYONE and their grandma will use that build. Which gets boring after a while.. It's like playing daoc but the only groups you would meet are 3healer/shaman/skald/3svg :) And then after 2 months you would only see a caster group and so on.
I know this exists in daoc aswell, it's just MUCH worse in GW, because everyone can reroll any char they want so fast.

E

Eruptix

Only nice thing about daoc's pvp is when its experienced at a high level of competiveness or 8v8's

nothing beats a nice fight with your team mates

radiovulture

Fledgling Freddie
haha

AS LONG AS YOU DONT PLAY ULTIMA ONLINE THAT GAME SUCKS HARD, I SOLD 6 YEARS OF MY LIFE TO EA GAMES CO. AND THEY WENT AND BASTARDIZED EVERYTHING ORIGINAL AND CREATIVE ABOUT IT, IN THE MATTER OF 3 MONTHS. It was a subtle form of rape.

whew, been waiting to get that one out. uo sucks.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Ozilia said:
edit: just one short note regarding Andrylin's post. I have one more big problem with GW, and that's the fotm stuff. Because you can reroll your char in 5 mins, once something becomes the "fotm" build, EVERYONE and their grandma will use that build. Which gets boring after a while.. It's like playing daoc but the only groups you would meet are 3healer/shaman/skald/3svg :) And then after 2 months you would only see a caster group and so on.
I know this exists in daoc aswell, it's just MUCH worse in GW, because everyone can reroll any char they want so fast.

Well i usually only pop in for a few random group vs random groups now and then, and since you cant prepare a fotm group setup in those arenas this isnt a problem :)

And if you have a few friends playing or a nice guild then the immaturity of a large part of the community isnt a problem either, since you wont depend on them for anything. To be honest, immature/young people will follow you around to any online game, free or pay to play alike (since mom and dad pay for them). With a few notable exceptions (EVE stands out here, as does the new DDO, as having quite mature communities).

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
if your bored with life in a virtual world, real life is reputed to be quite good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom