Is it right that governments pay kidnappers ransoms?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Don't know about other governments but the (current) British government does not pay ransom demands to kidnappers who abduct British citizens (abroad).

Should a government pay?

Yes? Always
No? Never
Depends?

(forgot to tick the poll box. stupid FH doesn't let u edit it back to a poll)

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Should a government pay?

Yes? Always
No? Never
Depends?

No, Never.

It sounds like a cliché but the moment you pay one kidnapper's demand you invite a thousand more to start taking brits and demanding money.

Sounds harsh, but whether the people kidnapped survive it or not, I strongly believe an attempt to apprehend/deal with the people responsible should be the top priority, to ensure the next batch of idiots think twice before doing it. If we go after them with everything we've got and ignore all demands, and after enough of them try it and come away penniless (or better yet dead), they'll stop trying.

I know someone will ask - "but what if it was your loved one taken?" so I'll answer that right off:

Ok so say you do pay the ransom, and by some miracle you do get that person back (which is surely quite unlikely?), whats to stop the fuckers from taking them back again tomorow and demanding double?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Never, even if it is me. Seriously, if a James Finlan is ever held for ransom please let the government know they are not to pay under any circumstances. :p

Corran

Part of the furniture
Never pay a ransom... it just encourages them to kidnap more people from that country.

And to be honest, with the people that are being dealt with you unlikely to get back the person even if you do pay.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
No, never.

If pay outs were made, then kidnappings would increase.

It's sad for the family of those that are kidnapped, but it's the best solution for everyone.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
No, never. The day they do it will open the flood gates.

What they should do however is rescue them, nothing like half a dozen dead kidnappers to make other scum think maybe they should get a proper job.

Marc

FH is my second home
No, never. The day they do it will open the flood gates.

What they should do however is rescue them, nothing like half a dozen dead kidnappers to make other scum think maybe they should get a proper job.

This.

Send the SAS into somalia and kill all those twats

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Wow. That post was really really stupid Marc, unless you were just taking the piss or trolling.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Its already been said but paying ransoms is a bad idea as it invites more.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
No never, unless it's me...seriously if an Amber D'Angeles is ever kidnapped I will need ransoming out because I swear I am sooo annoying that any kidnapper fool enough to take me will soon be seriously contemplating killing me because of my frequent demands to:
- go for a wee (every 23 minutes),
- have something to eat because 'I am literally starving to death!' and
- be allowed to go to bed by 21:00hrs, but make them leave the door open just a bit so I won't get lonely when I am asleep... but then yell at them if they talk or have the TV on too loud, or eat noisy snacks.

and tbh I'm not worth that much, me and B2 are all broke and have no rich friends so if the gov. doesn't get me out I'd be for it.

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
No never,

Specially when they people who have been kidnapped were stupid enough to go into a dangerous, infamous kidnapping and ransoming hot spot they had no business being in, despite being repeatedly warned not too!

Having said that, if the government do so decide to 'rescue' them, then I don't think they should have any qualms about using lethal force against armed kidnappers.

Marc

FH is my second home
Wow. That post was really really stupid Marc, unless you were just taking the piss or trolling.

Why? Are you saying all the rescue attempts that have ever been made are stupid then? Whats so different about sending in a crack army unit to rescue that english husband and wife who are being held in somalia?. Not paying a ransom is one thing, but should we just let our people rot? Should we just abandon our own?

Edit: I might have done a "tohtori" in my original post and not made myself clear. I wasnt meaning to declare war on somalia, i was talking about using deadly force to free the kidnap victims

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
This.

Send the SAS into somalia and kill all those twats

Wow :lol:, you really think they should send people in somalia to kill everyone there? Are you seriously claiming only somalians kidnap people?! OMGLOL!

Yeah :p

Marc

FH is my second home
Wow :lol:, you really think they should send people in somalia to kill everyone there? Are you seriously claiming only somalians kidnap people?! OMGLOL!

Yeah :p

Read my edit you hippy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom