is it ok to come back now?

Youwill

Fledgling Freddie
After almost a year with world of waiting(warcraft), i was looking back at this game, how is the game atm? input please:D

Daoc pvp > WOW pvp

Roalith

Can't get enough of FH
I've just come back from a more-or-less two year absence from DAOC, and have to say I'm enjoying myself immensely on the 'classic' (Alternative ruleset - no TOA, no buffbots) server. I've levelled a paladin to 40.5 in about 2 and a half days /played - over the last 3 weeks. Levelling is soooooo much easier nowadays.

Can't say much what the situation is like PVP wise, but certainly the PVE side of things is a lot more fun than it used to be.

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
If your coming back, make a fresh start on US servers imo. GOA servers are just crap in comparison. toa on US servers is a hell of a lot quicker and easier, the pvp is more active and the servers are more reliable etc. etc.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Naffets said:
If your coming back, make a fresh start on US servers imo. GOA servers are just crap in comparison. toa on US servers is a hell of a lot quicker and easier, the pvp is more active and the servers are more reliable etc. etc.

they also have GM modified grass to make it greener!

ToA is faster on the US servers at the moment - however we'll get 1.81 here soon enough and it's nice to get the (usually) fixed versions of patches.

PvP more active? maybe since everyone is currently doing their CLs.

Servers are reliable over here just the european backbone seems to have issues - the US one does too but given you'll be playing off peak you won't see them as much

Of course when everything is going well (which is most of the time) your ping to the US servers will be higher.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:

ToA is faster on the US servers at the moment - however we'll get 1.81 here soon enough and it's nice to get the (usually) fixed versions of patches.

only reason to actualy play on EU is the people you play with and the characters you already have built up, if fresh start I would recomend US to anyone tbh.

off peak on US is more active then prime time on EU

Gamah

Banned
...And playing with people in the same timezone? thats another good reason..unless your like your peaktime play to be 2am GMT

Karl

Fledgling Freddie
I keep saying this...

The problem with amercian servers.... you have to play with Yanks!!! I cant stand it, the whole player base here in europe is a lot nicer.

Besides that 50% of US population use hacks/cheats... Stick with EU you'll be better of in the long run!

Never worth it IMO.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Flimgoblin said:
Servers are reliable over here just the european backbone seems to have issues - the US one does too but given you'll be playing off peak you won't see them as much
Yes you lag on EU servers worse than you ever will on US ones when Open Transit goes balls up (which is very often).

If your rolling a new account go US

Karl

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
Yes you lag on EU servers worse than you ever will on US ones when Open Transit goes balls up (which is very often).

If your rolling a new account go US

NONONO NO!!!

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:

PvP more active? maybe since everyone is currently doing their CLs.

Of course when everything is going well (which is most of the time) your ping to the US servers will be higher.

Yes there are some teething problems with patches on US when they first come in, but there are on goa servers too and since goa most of the time have to wait for patches from mythic, usually its quicker for mythic to patch their own servers.

PvP more active? Yes, as i said, much more people in rvr on US servers, even off peak.

We've played US servers prime time (2-3gmt) and i've noticed no problems with the servers other than scheduled downtime that mythic made us well aware of.

I honestly would recommend US servers over goa server strongly, for a number of reasons. I've had two rr6 chars there thus far and so i speak from experience :p

Working on a second toa'd char there now.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Purely because of the terrible lag in recent weeks I would have to say either wait or go to the US servers, at times the game is beyond playable for many people. I am not directly blaming GOA for that as I am not entirely sure where the problem is but the simple fact is that Opentransit is a millstone around GOA's neck and has been for 4 years.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
cHodAX said:
Purely because of the terrible lag in recent weeks

each time I have activated my EU accounts again there have been terrible lag, and even when I am not playing on EU there are whine all the time about terrible lags, so saying recent weeks is a bit off imo

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
cHodAX said:
Purely because of the terrible lag in recent weeks I would have to say either wait or go to the US servers, at times the game is beyond playable for many people. I am not directly blaming GOA for that as I am not entirely sure where the problem is but the simple fact is that Opentransit is a millstone around GOA's neck and has been for 4 years.

I'd strongly agree with Chodax here, however GoA have shown amazing commitment to the game spending hundreds of hours clearing up a server DB that mythic would just have deleted but the lag is just too much of a problem now. If I was returning I'd go US too, rather have a green/yellow ping connection than a red one.

Karl

Fledgling Freddie
See i just cant relate,

I live in the UK, south about a 50 min drive from London...
ISP is BT broadband 2meg, nothing amazing.

I never experience lag like everyone else seems to, the occasional lag spike and maybe 5-10 minuites of laggieness once every couple of nights. Most of the time its fine...

Saying that a month or so ago when there was that big problem with Open Transit i got the lagg bad then! ;)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Heta said:
each time I have activated my EU accounts again there have been terrible lag, and even when I am not playing on EU there are whine all the time about terrible lags, so saying recent weeks is a bit off imo

stop waiting for the "omgz lag" whines on FH before you activate ;)

There has been occasionally a week or so of "evil OT lag" where you get 5-10 second lag spikes at peak times, but they are months and months apart.

Butter side down phenomena - you only remember the bad things.

Lack of lag isn't something worthy of notice so you don't log after a good night thinking "wow, no lag!".
However, if you have to log due to bad lag - that sticks in your brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom