Is Guild Wars still popular enough?

leggy

Probably Scottish
I bought Guild Wars on the day of release but I have shamefully never had the opportunity to play it. (Moving house, moving to england, new job). I am just about to load it up but I need to know a couple of things first.

Are there still a lot of people playing this consistently?
Are there enough new players? (To allow me to group up early on).

Cheers

Leggy

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
You don't need to level characters in roleplaying mode anymore.

PvP characters are the most commonly used, win fights for faction points and unlock skills/upgrades! (these will be available to all of your PVP chars)

The 'problem' with GW is you need a solid 8-man group to get anything from the game. Group setups are even more important than in games like DAoC.

Sar

Part of the furniture
I played it for a week and got bored with it tbh, and I love RPGs.

It was just so dull and "dry", and uninteresting.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
There are tons of people playing, you will not feel alone. New players start continously, and the first expansion will be out in a couple months bringing in even more new people.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Its fucking dull as ditchwater mate. Avoid. Lo btw ;)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Tbh dont listen to the people saying its dull etc. Just try it, you have it already anyway, and there is no monthly cost. It might not be a game you will play every day for hours for years to come etc, but its fun to play through the PvE campaign and watch the unfolding story, and its nice to log on now and then to play a few pvp matches with a character you can roll up in a few minutes and still get balance and be usefull etc.

I dont regret getting it in the slightest, well worth the money and fun game to have as a sidegame or if you dont have time for a "proper" mmorpg.

Maoni

Fledgling Freddie
Escape said:
You don't need to level characters in roleplaying mode anymore.

PvP characters are the most commonly used, win fights for faction points and unlock skills/upgrades! (these will be available to all of your PVP chars)

The 'problem' with GW is you need a solid 8-man group to get anything from the game. Group setups are even more important than in games like DAoC.

leveling 1 to 20 is ok with henchmen all the way tho, might need help from a "runner" for droknar (for the armor) but other than that henchmen was enough for me anyway (playing Bloodnecro/ranger)

itcheh

Part of the furniture
You know me Leggy - I'm not the beardy type ... but a few mates convinced me to get this and I bought it yesterday. Played it for 6 hours last night and I have to say it was a lot of fun.

It's quite simple to play and easy to get into - perfect for me but maybe not hard core enough for the true RPGers.

Give me a shout on MSN if you want to meet up online.

nick

Fledgling Freddie
Depends on what you're looking for. I found the campaign to be quite lacking and the immersiveness isnt that of say WOW or Baldurs Gate.

The visuals and balance are great. The reason I am still playing is because we've got a pretty decent guild going and the PVP is the best available out of any RPG to date. They also really care about the product with lots of updates and events/competitions. Can't beat the value for money what with the lack of monthly fee.

Lethul

FH is my second home
nick said:
Depends on what you're looking for. I found the campaign to be quite lacking and the immersiveness isnt that of say WOW or Baldurs Gate.

The visuals and balance are great. The reason I am still playing is because we've got a pretty decent guild going and the PVP is the best available out of any RPG to date. They also really care about the product with lots of updates and events/competitions. Can't beat the value for money what with the lack of monthly fee.

lol, if you are member of a decent guild it has to be ezmode

Thadius

Part of the furniture
I bought it as well

20 quid was a bargain and its not too hard to get into, compared with all the effort you put into Daoc

Tilda

Anybody got a spare buddy key so I can give it a go?

(or willing to trust me with an unused game account? :p)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Tilda said:
Anybody got a spare buddy key so I can give it a go?

(or willing to trust me with an unused game account? :p)

Nope sorry. :D

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Just bought it myself, and need a guild aswell!:0) Bought the collecting edition and got a small dragon following me!:0D

etali

Fledgling Freddie
I recently went back to Guild Wars (bank messed me around and I couldn't afford paid MMOs for a month). Its fun to dip into every now and then - I enjoyed it for a couple of weeks, but went straight back to paid games as soon as I had the money.

If you own it, I think its worth keeping on your hard drive.

I don't PVP much though - I agree with what others have said, if you don't have a good guild / group going, you'll just be wasting your time.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
I've played it on and off for quite some time, still not higher than lvl 10 or so. But it's nice to have some other game to play

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I Keep dipping in and out of it, the problem I get is that I start to get into it and it dies on me. (main problem with my PC if I play MMO's for a while the connection gets dropped) So I ignore it for a couple of weeks then try again, im only Lvl 8 and nowhere strong enough to deal with the Charr.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
almost at end of campaign and still enjoying it, just gotta get some decent wep and armour and do factions campaign then im rdy for pvp!:)

Dorimor1

Banned
there is still many people playing guild wars and what with guild wars factions coming out even more my friend plays he has a lvl 20 elemenalist/necromancer and has recently started a ranger/monk he was reading this forums and told me to make this post.

he says if your worried about anything or need hep to talk to him his name is sarlius master mage

Mirt

One of Freddy's beloved
lol, if you are member of a decent guild it has to be ezmode

As far as GvG goes guilds over rank 200 ish are generally pretty easy, but once you start fighting guilds ranked under 100 things become a lot harder and very competitive.

PvE is very simple and it's not going to appeal to WoW / EQ players (zomg mates, we don't need 40 people to get drops!).

Sar

Part of the furniture
I played it for a week and got bored with it tbh, and I love RPGs.

It was just so dull and "dry", and uninteresting.

Changed my mind completely now :D

I've actually now got into it a fair bit in the past year, and have ended up buying all the extra games and unlock kits to boot.

Finally managed to get my main character in Prophecies up to level 11 solo, but it's good fun so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom