Is anyone still playing this?

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Been seeing some screenies of it lately, and saw a thread about some of you getting into it, are you lot still playing or has the fad passed and I missed another one? :(

Athan

Resident Freddy
I gave up on it when it proved to be a buggy and slow piece of shite on whatever patch was out around the start of March.

Shame, 'cos if the bugs were fixed I'd put up with the lowish FPS at times.

-Ath

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
Apparently this game is average, and I don't have the money to buy and play average games. Therefore, I did not buy this game.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
how slow is slow and what machine is that running on Ath?

Athan

Resident Freddy
jaba said:
how slow is slow and what machine is that running on Ath?

Athlon XP 1600+@1.4GHz
768MB PC2100 DDR RAM
PNY GeForce 4Ti4800 128MB
80GB HD running at ATA100
Windows XP Pro w/ SP1a + patches

And I mostly managed 20fps, sometimes a little more. Right down near the ground and with explosions it'd dip down to 5pfs, i.e. painful. 20fps may sound low to the First Person Shooter people but in a flight sim it's adequate.

It really was the bugs that pissed me off. A few random crashes plus silly things like the 'persistent' battlefield meaning that when I crashed on landing on one mission attempt the wreckage was still there on the runway on the NEXT and caused the tower to keep on telling me to 'go around' on approach. I then decided to land anyway, and crashed into the wreckage. Knowing it was there I landed further down the runway next time. Methinks irl they'd clear wreckage off a damned sight quicker than this. Heck, switch the 'takeoff' runway to landing too for a while.
I think other stuff that might have been bugs was likely just the AI variation between attempts on the same mission. One time in a later mission my wingman was all over the ground forces, I hardly had anything to do myself. The next attempt he was a total nob.

-Ath

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
hmm doesnt sound too great, might play the demo of it and see what kinda framerate I get, I just fancy shooting some shit up and I havent used my joystick in ages either

Athan

Resident Freddy
jaba said:
hmm doesnt sound too great, might play the demo of it and see what kinda framerate I get, I just fancy shooting some shit up and I havent used my joystick in ages either

If that's ALL you want then LOMAC likely isn't for you. It *IS* a simulator, not a 'flying arcade game'. To fully get to grips with it WILL take a while. And I say this only having bothered with the A-10 ground attack plane before I gave up. There's 3 or 4 fighters to master too.

Oh and the demo... the fighter mission is very basic, in my experience you either manage to shoot down the enemy very quickly, or end up in an endless circling match until you fuckup or give up and get shot down. The ground attack one I'm struggling to recall (probably because I did do 4 or so missions in the A-10 campaign in the full game), but is at least a little more involved.

-Ath

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Just to let you know - the 1.02 patch for LOMAC has been out for a week or so. This may solve some of the bugs you've been having :)

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
I do from time to time yeah.

Was waiting for the 1.02 patch before I got back into it. Should get a group of us together for a nice big MP co-op game. Formation of A-10's going in to blow stuff up :)

It's easy to pick up and play, and isn't as complicated as something like Falcon4.

Oh, and there are various tweaks you can do to make it run better on your PC. I'll post a list if anyone wants them (or give you the link to the website :D)

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
I have always wanted to play a flight sim multi player, fancy a bit of dog fighting action but will have to wait until next month til I have money to buy the thing..then chocks away and tally ho! err..yeah, linkey please :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom