IRC Chat with Mythic CEO Mark Jacobs

L

Lanceloc

The log of the chat is right here

http://www.unknownplayer.com/archive/02/06/28/806.php

Bits I liked the most are
[UnknownPlayer]
[s}{rike] Despite assurances to the contrary, many believe that patches adding Spellcrafting, Housing, Horses, will not make it as promised (promised to all be included by end of this Spring 02) but will instead be included in the DAOC:IS release. Will all, some or none of these additions be included in DAOC as it stands soon?
[MBJ] No, all of those things will not be part of the expansion pack. I promised that we would add them as part of the subscription content and I intend to keep that promise. It has taken longer than I hoped but there is no plan, inkling even germ of an idea to make them SI only. DONE

[UnknownPlayer]
[Omni] How will the expansion affect the *performance* of the game? Is the new eye candy going to come with a framerate hit, or will the new engine perform better than the current one?
[MBJ] I expect that players wil see a framerate improvement with the SI pack even without the use of sliders, etc. One of the things we are doing is working on better ways for the player to deal with all the graphical aspects of the game. DONE

[UnknownPlayer]
[Zek] What does Mythic intend to do about the difficulty melee classes have in RvR, mainly because of the prevalence of mez/stun spells(which continue to be added)? Resistances just aren't enough to make up for the fact that melee classes spend a GREAT deal of their RvR time standing around unable to do anything.
[MBJ] The 1.51 patch was huge as the players know. We will continue to work to balance out the classes in RvR and it is not our intention to have any class stand around the majority of their time. We will continue to improve that. While I know it seems easy, no game to date has tried to do as complex a system for PvP as does DAoC. We've
[MBJ] gained some insight from that and we will continue to do so over time. I expect we will succeed. DONE

S

SFXman

[Exitio] Question: Based on the popularity of programs like DAOX (reportedly even among mythic staff), are there any plans to implement abilities like playing in a window or disabling the @#$@#$ Windows key for player convenience?
[MBJ] There is no intention to make DAoC playable within a window. I know a lot of people would like to see this but this is one of the times we just have to say no. DONE
Interesting...
[oO] Why is Mythic against programs like daox that allow you to run daoc in a window?
[MBJ] It is our belief that allowing DAoC to run in a window makes using third-party programs much easier. While we have seen that no matter what you do people can make these types of programs, I don't see any reason why we should make it even easier for them. DONE
Hmm...
[UnknownPlayer] We will be doing a quick Mkick so please feel free to rejoin if you want to talk about the game a bit *** ChanServ sets mode: +i *** ChanServ sets mode: +b *!*@* -ChanServ:mad:#up.com- (Ops:#up.com) Rasputin is using MKICK on #up.com *** Marc was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** yawnwraith was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Morid was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Galaylia was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** DDH|Kaisies was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Kap was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) ***
[SRL]Rodskagg was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** NLoChrissieG_CGE was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Khalah
[SUN]away was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Geirr was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) ***
[LV]McCow was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Sneezy was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** xcalybur was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** vapor was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Darkrogue was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** DisavAWAY was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Atreiu was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Nimrangul was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Thou-Pellinor was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** TheSurfer99|awa was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Galmod was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Ktank was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Spaces was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** GReaper was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Mode76 was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** ]{9 was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Apokalypse was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Drizzt was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Hrodric was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Conceited was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** jiffy was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) ***
[EYE]3b was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** gamadan was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Frohike was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Bensen was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Prenia was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Neghcho was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Gerbrandt was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Soulseeker was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Crulle|DV| was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Joker- was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Zwink was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Sernas was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Diirk was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** pYm`addie was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** tinman was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Polixenes was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Zxeres was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** releveler was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Harvey was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** IAmMercy was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Stack was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Olaf|Percival was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** citra was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** sideshow was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** zaius was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Abrii was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Tewin was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Bullyboy was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** SamCat_Catacombs was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** CypheX was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** TheGreatHio was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Iliek|AWAY was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Ebonycs was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Caption was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** gh0stdevil was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** lees was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** TRex-13 was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Slythetove was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Temaculim was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Quize was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Combine|Gwindolen was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** AmakoirGawaine was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Ost was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Thom|Gawaine was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Sinister-Gawaine was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Dai-Galean was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Ashlee was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Agape was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Fraelek was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** R-Bee was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** UnknownPlayer was kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** You were kicked by ChanServ (ChanServ ) *** Attempting to rejoin... END OF LINE ;)
ok...

Damn the US players get to meet some Mythic folk at a round table on some server :8

I

inqy

well making a game that doesn't die (horribly) when you press the start key would be nice.

S

SFXman

It doesn't have to :rolleyes:
Rip out the windows keys, done that pleeeent of times. Some knife, wedge it in and *pop*.

I

inqy

well apart from physically ripping out the keys from my fairly new keyboard (no ta sfx :p ). how about just popping daoc on the taskbar. and upon clicking you go straight back to the game.

you know! just like pretty much any other app/game in existance. ;)

S

SFXman

Yup... well... there is a remedy to that, which is very commonly used.
As for the popping the keys out... did you know that they can be removed and put back in? Also used when cleaning a keyboard...

O

old.Reckless <Lion>

There are certain registry keys that can be altered to stop the windows key functioning. Look them up!

S

SFXman

Just rip them out, it's fun too :D

Yes... there are programs which disable them...

E

Elvewen

If you have a Microsoft keyboard (i have a natural one) the InteliType drivers allow you to disable the dam keys anway in the Keyboard properties.

K

Khalen

Helllooo?? You guys never looked at tweak tools? If you want your windows keys disabled you just have to find a nice tweak tool that does it for yah.

Btw nice those questions but will take ages until that expansion gets here ;)

S

skerit XP

Originally posted by SFXman
It doesn't have to :rolleyes:
Rip out the windows keys, done that pleeeent of times. Some knife, wedge it in and *pop*.

God, I did the exact same thing! But now I use daox, they can detect someone who is hacking the prog, but running in a window isn't bad. NAh :)

S

SFXman

Khalen, of course we have but I have gotten so pissed off at times that I popped the keys out... put them back later when I learned not to press the buttons. Now it never happens and they are still in place.
Originally posted by skerit XP
God, I did the exact same thing! But now I use daox, they can detect someone who is hacking the prog, but running in a window isn't bad. NAh :)
Yup, popping them was great fun :)
Mythic actually said there aren't exactly taking any action against daox users so /emote shrugs

S

skerit XP

Ok, just to say so:
Goa/ Mythic I use it so I cna do other stuff wiht my pc aswell :)
Not only sit on camelot 24/7 :)

yea, ripping them out was fun, but I lsot them :|

D

dittytwo

You notice that it was all US players
when the have a world fan base how byesed is Mythic???

perhaps one of the questions should have been
"how are you going to address the situation of europe being behind in the patching and are you going to give them a hand by precoding the expansion with the languages already in"

There answer would have been europe wheres that???

S

SFXman

Hehe... funny. I think someone SHOULD have asked that question! Damn.

S

skerit XP

not this again, there are a efw months between the us 1.36 and 1.45 patch aswell, they just got patches between them, w eget one big patch, I like it more thta way

I

inqy

Originally posted by Khalen
Helllooo?? You guys never looked at tweak tools? If you want your windows keys disabled you just have to find a nice tweak tool that does it for yah.

HELLO!!!??? I never said I wanted the start key disabled. I use it quite a bit it windows. eg Minimize, Lock workstation, Load Explorer, blah blah

What I said is I'd like a game that conforms to usual windows standards by not nuking itself when you press the start key. Fair enough it don't work in a window, I don't really want it to. But when the start keys are accidentally pressed it would be rather good if it didn't kill daoc.

However I may look this tweak up, as long as it lets you disable/re-enable the keys without reboot I'll be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom