Iran?

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
I was reading the newspaper today whilst making some macaroni and cheese (because i have a bloody cold even though its 41 celcius outside) and was reading about the situation in Iran.

Now, whats to stop Iran flaunting America's authority and going off and producing WMD, particularly nuclear weapons. America is vastly overstretched atm, and it would be impossible for them to repeat Afghan/Iraq, indeed even these two situations seem impossible to maintain. The only way I can see the "world" (i.e. Britain, America and all them lot) stopping Iran would be to put 'diplomatic pressure' upon them, e.g. economic sanctions. This is something I'd view as extremley inneffective, as not only would certain countries view this as unfair and ignore these "sanctions", or whatever may take place, it would also isolate America even further in the Middle East and, more importantly, in Iraq, where Iran has a growing influence. Thus the whole situation would destabilise extremley fast and create a giant mess.

But perhaps I'm not looking outside the box. Views?

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
so true

by america and britain having their illegal war against two islamic countries theyve shot themselves in the foot for times when they actually need to remove some right nutterz.

Iran is dangerous but then again im of the strong belief that the majority of countries all over that neck of the woods are dangerous, its these wee countries full of islmac fundamentalist whove got a totally twisted view of what their religion teaches

G

WMD in Iraq - our survey said eh oooooo
25 minutes to nuke some of our oil producing friends - our survey said eh oooo

but fuck that, we will go over and steal all the oil anyway.

The americans knew they had no weapons of mass destruction, but the chinese and North Koreans probably do as well as the iranians, but we dont want to go over there and get them because they have the ability to kick our asses, especially the Chinese and North Koreans, this is the thing that makes me sick, double standards, but he ho, we wont vote bush or blair out of office for lying to everyone will we, they will both get in again.

Most of the so called islamic fundamentalist groups only hate the americans because the yanks have a really bad history in treating people from the middle east, its not just been happening for a few years it overs decades and tbpfh i really dont blame them for hating the yanks and the briitish but i dont think its a good idea to kill innocent people for a whole countries foreign policy.

Tilda

oblimov said:
so true

by america and britain having their illegal war against two islamic countries theyve shot themselves in the foot for times when they actually need to remove some right nutterz.

Iran is dangerous but then again im of the strong belief that the majority of countries all over that neck of the woods are dangerous, its these wee countries full of islmac fundamentalist whove got a totally twisted view of what their religion teaches
Afganistan wasn't illegal...

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Curently Iran's top missile has a 2000 KM range so they cant realy launch one to any westeren country.
Now if they develop an ICBM then things get scary

JBP|

Part of the furniture
arnt the iranians quite chummy with the yanks though?

or am i confussing the iranians with the new improved lybians?

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
All that will happen is Israel will launch an Air strike on there Nuclear Facilities once they get close to being able to produce any. Same thing that they did to Iraq in the eighties when they got a bit close to being nuclear capable.

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
Kyle said:
That's totally fucked up right there!

There's an interesting program being shown on Wednesday night on BBC2 The Power of Nightmares, don't miss it.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Ukle said:
All that will happen is Israel will launch an Air strike on there Nuclear Facilities once they get close to being able to produce any. Same thing that they did to Iraq in the eighties when they got a bit close to being nuclear capable.

Ah, forgot about Isreal. But they have their hands full atm and dont seem ready to go to war against an arab country, although they did win last time they were attacked by three arab countries, but i think they wouldnt survive this time.

Athan

Resident Freddy
throdgrain said:
Nuke em all tbh !
Unfortunately there are far too many people from those countries in other parts of the world. "The fight" would be carried on, even more so, after any nuking.

Not that I'm advocating nuking them anyway. For starters it's not just the human beings that would be hit. Time and again people forget about the rest of the ecosystem.

-Ath

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
LoL

I see the compassion's overflowing in this thread!

Why the fuck would we want to nuke anyone? Let alone Iran?

I know some people (politicians, oil men, bankers) will want to take all the mid-east oil (doing whatever they think is needed), but why would someone who posts on FreddysHouse?

You'd honestly support yet more wars for no reason? Who/what are you afraid of?

We're the agressors! We always have been.

Mr.Monkey

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone considered that the reason the arabs hate the US is due to the fact the arab leaders have managed to make the US a scapegoat for:

-Terrible arab economies
-desperate poverty in arab countries
-unstable "governments", by which I mean dictators that have come to power by force (seriously, name one islamic govt that came to power other than by force).
-Tendancies of aformentioned govts to kill people who object

But of course, we all blame america. If it weren't for america, the middle east would be a bed of roses. There wouldn't be tribal warfare. Of course not. It's the americans faults.

Pretty easy to blame the US rather than face our own shit head on, eh?

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
Mr.Monkey said:
But of course, we all blame america. If it weren't for america, the middle east would be a bed of roses. There wouldn't be tribal warfare. Of course not. It's the americans faults.
Pretty easy to blame the US ...

You're right! Thanks for pointing that out.

(PS Does Tribal Warfare = International Terrorism and/or WMD?)

Mr.Monkey said:
Anyone considered that the reason the arabs hate the US is due to the fact the arab leaders have managed to make the US a scapegoat for:

-Terrible arab economies
-unstable "governments", by which I mean dictators that have come to power by force (seriously, name one islamic govt that came to power other than by force).

Pretty easy for the arab leaders to "manage" just looking at Israel/Palestine and Iran/Iraq - to name a couple of quick examples. They may be used as political scape-goats, but that doesn't mean they're innocent. It's American foreign policy to support what they consider as "friendly" political parties in whatever country they want control (for "friendly" read: "will do what the US want"). It's what they did years ago in Chile, another historical 11th September (coincidence?) back in 1973.

:touch:

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Mr.Monkey said:

-Terrible arab economies
Yes all those oil states have such a hard time making money, and having some of the largest economic growt rates doesnt help either

Mr.Monkey said:
While there is poverty, its in no way as bad as south east asia and afrika.
There is also almost no famine

Mr.Monkey said:
Yemen - republic
Bahrain - constitutional hereditary monarchy (partially elected legislature)
Quatar - Monarchy since 1800's (bloodles coup from the prince in 1990's becouse his father was cripiling the country with coruption)
United Arab Emirates - Federation
Kuwait - same monarchy since 1900 or so
Mr.Monkey said:
While this certainly happens, there are far wurse place to live for that then most arab country's

Mr.Monkey said:

There is no large scale tribal warfare
yes because US used to play most of the arab countries for its own gain and to fight proxy wars with russia in the cold war (Iran/Iraq incedentaly the 2 biggest problems these days)
because the US its political protection of Israel no mater what.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Mr.Monkey said:

-Terrible arab economies

Nobody saying that they were perfect in the first place, but the Western world meddling and trying to imprint themselves upon these countries certainly hasnt helped. Indeed, the main objection that most of these countries have, apart from the recent war in Iraq and how it was/is being handled, is the US's support for Israel and its approval for Israeli expansionist policies.

(and btw, Sibanac, its spelt Qatar :p)

Ramadan Kareem btw folks.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
Yo. Did someone on this thread say 'when israel has nukes' orsomething? I'll re-emphasise the 'when' bit...because I'm pretty sure Israel is suspected of having them already. And not Suspected in the way Iraq was suspected of having WMD. Genuinely regarded by everyone as having them.

Declared nuclear states in order of total number of warheads

Country - Number - Year of first test
United States - 10,240 - 1945
Russia (formerly the Soviet Union) - 8,400 - 1949
People's Republic of China - 390 - 1964
France - 350 - 1960
United Kingdom - 200 - 1952
India - 60-90 - 1974
Pakistan - 24-48 - 1998

(Statistics from National Resources Defense Council [1] (http://www.nrdc.org/nuclear/nudb/datainx.asp))

Countries suspected of having WMD

Algeria (Nuclear)
Belarus (Nuclear)
Bulgaria (Biological)
Chile (Chemical)
China (details) (Nuclear, Chemical, Biological, Missile)
Cuba (Biological)
Ethiopia (Chemical)
Egypt (Chemical, Biological, Missile)
France (details) (Nuclear, Chemical, Missile)
India (details) (Nuclear, Chemical, Biological, Missile)
Indonesia (Chemical)
Iran (Nuclear, Chemical, Biological, Missile)
Iraq (Nuclear, Chemical, Biological, Missile)
Israel (details) (Nuclear, Chemical, Biological, Missile)
Kazakhstan (Nuclear)
Laos (Chemical, Biological)
Libya (Chemical, Biological, Missile)
Myanmar (Chemical)
North Korea (details) (Nuclear, Chemical, Biological, Missile)
Pakistan (details) (Nuclear, Chemical, Biological, Missile)
Romania (Biological)
Russia (details) (Nuclear, Chemical, Biological, Missile)
Serbia and Montenegro (Nuclear, Chemical)
South Africa (Nuclear, Chemical, Biological, Missile)
South Korea (Chemical, Biological, Missile)
Sudan (Chemical)
Syria (Chemical, Biological, Missile)
Taiwan (details) (Chemical, Biological, Missile)
Thailand (Chemical)
Ukraine (Nuclear)
United Kingdom (details) (Nuclear, Chemical, Biological, Missile)
United States (details) (Nuclear, Chemical, Biological, Missile)
Vietnam (Chemical, Biological)

Catsby

One of Freddy's beloved
maxi said:
And not Suspected in the way Iraq was suspected of having WMD. Genuinely regarded by everyone as having them.

Indonesia (Chemical)
Iran (Nuclear, Chemical, Biological, Missile)
Iraq (Nuclear, Chemical, Biological, Missile)
Israel (details) (Nuclear, Chemical, Biological, Missile)
Kazakhstan (Nuclear)

Catsby is confused by your comments.....

JBP|

Part of the furniture
iirc in the Gulf War episode 1,Israel actually did mention that they would let off a few nukes if saddam pointed anything towards them

dysfunction

FH is my second home
maxi said:

Russia (details) (Nuclear, Chemical, Biological, Missile)
Serbia and Montenegro (Nuclear, Chemical)
South Africa (Nuclear, Chemical, Biological, Missile)
South Korea (Chemical, Biological, Missile)
Sudan (Chemical)

I'm sure South Africa got rid of all its nuclear, chemical and bio weapons after signing some global agreement years ago...but I could be wrong

Where you are getting your stats from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom