ipod problem

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Ive just bought myself the ipod and have connected it to my puter (Win XP) using firewire.
Its recognised as a device and the ipod flashes with do not disconnect message, but thats it.

iTunes doesnt open automatically and if I open it myself I cant see the ipod listed as a source.

Is there something I should do?

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Did you install the software that came on the CD with the iPod?

(Yes, this is my only guess :p)

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Yes I installed itunes. I restarted it a minute ago and it asked me to reformat it. So I did this. Its now back in do not disconnect mode.

Im assuming that for a pc that itunes doesnt necessarily open?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
iTunes should open up when the iPod is detected.

Chances are, that your Firewire port isn't up to the job if it's not properly bus-powered. Remember that the iPod tries to charge as well as sync over the firewire connection.

If Windows asks you to reformat - don't. The drive contains much more than music files and that's a big mistake and could mean you have to re-image it by hand. Make sure that the iPod service and iTunes helper tasks are running in task manager, if not reinstall iTunes, if they are then have a look at your firewire port and check BIOS settings.

What motherboard/firewire card do you have?

Xav

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Naw it was me being a bit of a dick. Once I restarted it the ipod seemed to stick on Do not disconnect. As soon as I closed the Apple reformat box it started to install. I was being a bit too cautious. Now I have music!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I was in PC World the other day (buying a power adaptor if you must know), and they had an ipod in. I've never actually seen one before, but having a play around with it, it was a damn sexy piece of kit, and really simple to use. I picked up the software in about 10 seconds flat.

If only they recorded uncompressed audio..... :(

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Its going to be a boon at work as I have a fairly tedious job at times and being able to block out the abomination known as radio 1 will be a blessing, with my entire cd collection on hand.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
iPod developed weird problem today. The switch for locking out the buttons seems to have stuck it in that mode. The HD was whiring around like mad and the thing started to get quite hot. I left it to run down and it seems to be okay now. Do you think I should tyake it back to the shop and get a replacement?

Its been about 2 weeks since I bought it from Dixons. Dunno what their returns policy is.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Is that the 20GB one from Dixons? I was interested in getting one so I didn't have to wait for delivery or anything. What comes inside the box? Dock? Remote? Can you buy any of that in the shop. Sorry for this small digression :p

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Well I took it back to Dixons and they reefunded my money no problems.
They didnt have a replacement one in the shop so I went to PC world and got a 40GB one instead. Woot.

Anyway both the 20 & 40 GB one come with the dock plus firewire connection. If you dont have firewire you'll have to buy the USB2 connector from everythingipod.co.uk. Its also worth buying a skin or protective cover as they scratch easily.

You get the remote cable plus headphones and a belt holder (this scratched my first iPod (go figure)) You also get a bag and you can carry the dock phone leads etc in that. You also get a firewire plug in charger, though it also charges through the dock via firewire.

People go on about the new apple ear plugs being better and youd have to buy these. Personally I hate having things stuck in my ear and bought a decent pair of sony wrapp around the head style phones and they are excellent. Also people think you have a bog standard mp3 player rather than the muggable ipod.

Elsewhere Ive stated that the Griffin fm transmitter works very well in my car. if I had a choice now, Id go for the more expensive charger/transmitter as it charges at the same time as playing. You can buy the charger for £8 and that allows you to do that with the griffen transmitter but a mate thought it was a bad idea (dunno why)

I also bought an ipod holder for the car. It is kinda okay and fits in the cup holder. Prob with my car , focus, is that the holders are too big so my wife cut some sponge to make it fit snuggly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom