Invaders in Yggdra!

Henry-Vee

Fledgling Freddie
DAOC was a different kind of game in the days when ‘Invaders in Ygdra’ was a regular spam on AS.

Although the game style has changed quite a bit since then, I think one of the biggest attractions of RvR in DAOC is that the classes are so different. I suppose Mythic could make everyone equal, but I doubt that would keep folks interest for long.

In fact I think the only thing wrong with RvR is the gank group mentality. I get quite depressed when I read the new uber killing machine set up and my character isn’t in it! For a short while in the evolution of the server you could go to emain and everyone would group up regardless of class or even level. I wonder if its in Mythics grand plan anywhere ( if indeed they have one ) to try and revive this level of community?

Of course you can hardly blame the gank groups. These groups and guilds contain the most competitive and skilful players on the server. For them to operate at anything less that full efficiency would detract from their enjoyment, and you can’t place with them the responsibility to group with everyone in order to make RvR more inclusive. Because that after all is the big challenge facing Mythic at this time. To make RvR inclusive!

But I wonder if we couldn’t strike a compromise somewhere?

Do you remember just after realm abilities were first introduced there was a big argument going on that they would spoil the enjoyment of RvR, and turn it back into a level grind?

I think Mythic wanted to make RvR more attractive to people, but I suspect it didn’t quite work out that way…. I remember being quite hacked off to learn my class specific realm ability was….rubbish :-/

But!

Isn’t there a way to allow Gank groups and more casual RvR’rs, (or people who happen to be really attached to their gimp toons like me) have fun at the same time?

Personally I don’t feel the need to get a big amount of realm points every time I RvR, and I am thinking that the big zerg, which everyone used to complain about may be coming to the rescue of realm war in the form of New Frontiers? Lets hopes so.

Henryvee

Skald

White Rose/Prydwen

living

Fledgling Freddie
Yes i belive new frontieers will save us from that.. only reason im left in this game.. Zergs will be a fact in nf i belive and with a decent PC they will ne very fun, according to VNB Boards there is usually also alot of fg fights around towers that every one can enjoy.

Given some classes can solo towers, u will get a few 1v1 and 2v2 :>

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
Henry-Vee said:
(or people who happen to be really attached to their gimp toons like me)

Henryvee

Skald

White Rose/Prydwen

I thought every group was in need of at least 1 skald? Some other classes have it worse like Necromancers/Thanes etc...At leas you've got the abbility to roam around solo because of your speed. Anyway, I quite agree with your post..Give back the old times! I can remember RVR'ing for the first time with my armsman, he was lvl 38 at that time...Asked a kind lvl 50 scout and his mate if I could join them and I got an invite. We roamed around in odins, killing groups of 2-3 people. A lvl 50 guy was chasing the other guy in my group who was low on health and I was chasing that lvl 50 guy, I can remember hitting him for a fair ammount of damage and I saved my other group member from dying :).

I mean if I told that this story happened now everyone would laugh at me. Everyone seems to be twinked to the top in ToA gear having artifacts/Ml's and being RR6-7+. Also everyone has a buffbot nowadays (have to admit I got one too but never used him in proper lvl 50 RVR, he isn't high lvl anyway). The game was a lot better when SI and the other stuff didnt came out imo. Hunting in barrows and lyonesse was great fun :).

Gorrion

Fledgling Freddie
SI and TOA have had some effect on rvr thats for sure, for the better or worse im not sure. . . actually i think it just have made it a bit more challenging, althog the timesink in TOA is insane especially for casual players.
The biggest change to RvR, even it is old, is the use of Buffbot's. in the days past only a few had acces to such bb's, they relayed more on their guild teamwork and having some fun. But as more and more got BB's (even guild groups) the players without those soon had no option in RVR than standing at TK for hours asking for group, or try venture out on their own ( and give free RP).
today its not uncommon to be hit in rvr combat for 500 - 800 dmg per hit, and with a delay between 1- 2 sec, making it completely impossible for a casual player to ever hope for survival, unlees he is in a massive zerk, getting between 100 - 200 rp every hour played or so . . . if even that.
all tnx to buffbots.

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
Gorrion said:
SI and TOA have had some effect on rvr thats for sure, for the better or worse im not sure. . . actually i think it just have made it a bit more challenging, althog the timesink in TOA is insane especially for casual players.
The biggest change to RvR, even it is old, is the use of Buffbot's. in the days past only a few had acces to such bb's, they relayed more on their guild teamwork and having some fun. But as more and more got BB's (even guild groups) the players without those soon had no option in RVR than standing at TK for hours asking for group, or try venture out on their own ( and give free RP).
today its not uncommon to be hit in rvr combat for 500 - 800 dmg per hit, and with a delay between 1- 2 sec, making it completely impossible for a casual player to ever hope for survival, unlees he is in a massive zerk, getting between 100 - 200 rp every hour played or so . . . if even that.
all tnx to buffbots.

wtf are you talking about?

- getting hit for 500-800 with 1-2sec delay is because of good toa set and good ra's, not buffbots..
- every group has a bb anyway so how can it be such imbalancing factor??
- getting groups doesnt require you to have a buffbot.

Buffbots only affect soloing.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
not every group has buffbots...

and the "kill the buffer" tactic doesn't work if one group is buffed ;)

buffbot buffs compared to normal enhance buffs from a split spec buffer are still quite an improvement (Though not so much now with toa bonuses)

it's getting more and more common for people to have bots though to even the field.

Cept of course some classes don't benefit as much from bots...

Kallisti

Fledgling Freddie
The biggest change NF made was to level the playing field a lot more with regards to Gank Groups vs everyone else.

Of course this pissed off a lot of the Gank groups who relocated to Mordred (PvP server), but what it did do was allow people who were not in gank guilds or one of the "perfect" classes for gank groups to be able to enjoy RvR a great deal more.

Sadly however the emphasis on keep/towers is prejudicial towards tank classes and beneficial to casters and archers - ie range is king. I notice a HUGE difference in play between my Minstrel (who might not have much range but has some) to my Friar (no range attacks apart from an interrupt shout) However, 1.71 gave assistance to tanks and 1.72 (currently in test) is introducing even more that shoudl help make the tanking experience more enjoyable.

Its a touch balancing act, but things are improving. NF is such an enormous change that there were bound ot be unforseen side-effects. The worst one is the affect population has on the RvR performance. This has been mitigated a bit in the month since NF but at first whoevre had higher population ruled. It was not comfortable whether you were the underdog or the overpopulated zerger. Hopefully you will see the fixes rolled out to you speedier then they were to us - in theory they should roll 1.71 into 1.70 for you since it fixed so many of the problems. Mind you its GOA so who know what they will do... :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Kallisti said:
Its a touch balancing act, but things are improving. NF is such an enormous change that there were bound ot be unforseen side-effects. The worst one is the affect population has on the RvR performance. This has been mitigated a bit in the month since NF but at first whoevre had higher population ruled. It was not comfortable whether you were the underdog or the overpopulated zerger. Hopefully you will see the fixes rolled out to you speedier then they were to us - in theory they should roll 1.71 into 1.70 for you since it fixed so many of the problems. Mind you its GOA so who know what they will do... :)

not sure GOA get to decide which version they get sent to them :) but either way we're getting 1.70 - 1.71 was still on pendragon when the bulk of the translation work started I think?

Still hopefully not too long to translate 1.70->1.71 :)

Cruhar

Fledgling Freddie
Can only think of a few RAs that really makes the game unbalanced really

MoC - All realms (Solo aswell as Group, especially for Sorc and Dark SMs)
SoS - Albion (Group, its annoying in Solomanners, but hardly doing much)
Group Purge - Hibernia (Group)

BoF was a very strong RA too, but the middies just do more damage than albs, and it doesnt work well versus the magic of hibernia. But with the caster groups now its nearly as waste of Points

Surely Purge and IP turns the outcome of a battle very often, but its RAs most people have accress to, and it mostly seperates the Rookies from the Veterans, obviously, and a RR6+ should be able to kill a RR4- without much trouble, unless cought offguard or with the RAs down.

NF have changed the MoC lots, which Im personally seeing as a very very good thing. Speaking as a RR3L4 scout, its not much fun to start shooting a RR4 SM in fear of him being uber buffed with MoC and Darkness speced, he does same damage as you AND he gains health from it. They are nearly impossible to kill unless your Critshot isnt absorbed, even with IP up. And with the pet intercepting loads especially if buffed too.

Dont know if the MoC now does 100% damage (havent cared to check), but the change with NF is great. I can live with the high MOC damage if the player fancy using 30 RA pts to get it.

PS: Buffbots do lots of difference in groups too, Not just soloing

Well that was off Topic....

I often venture into the Yggda lands, swing by the old leveling areas, and the place is empty... Then heading past Svasud Faste .. Empty too ... spend 5 hours there 3 evenings/nights in a row and saw the grand total of 10 different people leaving the place and many of then only once or twice each evening. When I get bored I pass by Dodens Gruva... Usually Empty too, suicide on the Innocents (D**N thier disease!) ... Port Emain and get killed by AMG a few times, log off and go to bed :)

Like-wise as a mid, its getting quite boring camping Forrest Sauvage Road... no green/blue con mincers heading Beno anymore (/hugs to Dimse) nor as Alb I find many stealthers there, except for some of the old-sk00l hunters who live there (have yet to find their house, The guardpost mayhaps?) :fluffle:

Blitzing

Fledgling Freddie
i think the reason we dont see the invaders in yggdra any more, is for once, because people really dont lvl there any more. and yes there where a time when you could get group in rvr no matter class or lvl, but it mostly changed because back then the amount of lvl 50 werent that big, if you look at it today, moslty half the pop in each realm that are online at night is lvl 50. that has made a big change and that is allso why you rarely see people under 50 in rvr. but like you say with NF comming things will change, i think the BG will be more attractive now, also because you can earn some easy xp in them, and they go all the way to lvl 44 now :D i now im gonna try and lvl some chars that way, it might go slow, but hell of a lot more fun than hoping to get moderna group or simply lvl the old way :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom