Internet problems

Iphis

Fledgling Freddie
Well basically i have the following problem altho im connected to the internet nothing works :(

i have bt broad band i connect the connection is working fine as prooved by my use on this computer but on my main computer i can not view any websites i can not ping ip's i cant connect to the update server its as if im not connected to the internet but i am.

im not working offline it all happened after i initated an antivirus which i subsequently uninstalled but to no avail.

Does any1 know how to fix this problem ? dunno if my comp has blocked all its ports or just doesnt know thats its online unfortunately i have no idea how to resolve this issue so have come to u on my knees ;)

any input will be most appreciated (running on windows xp outta interest)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
How do you connect to the internet? Do you have a router, or a modem, a hub, and cables connencting them?

I'd start by writing

Code:
ipconfig /all

in a DOS window (Windows button + R, run: "cmd", write ipconfig /all)

To see if its picking up the network router (if you have one), or by ensuring the IP address is what its supposed to be.

:)

Iphis

Fledgling Freddie
i connect to the net directly through a usb adsl modem but ill try it all the same thx

Chilly

Balls of steel
sounds like a zone alarm firewall emergency quarantene thingy like i had, i partially unistalled ZA Pro and it noticed that it had been half eaten and went into protect mode where it blocks 99% of traffic - the exceptions being https, direct TCP/IP connections with no need for DNs lookups so daoc worked and my uni email worked but nothing else.

Try reinstalling whatever it was you installed and unistalled, or visit the manufactueres webbie, they might have some help if its similar to my problem. If you know your shit, then boot into safe mode, open up process manager and kill anyhting that isnt system critical, then test if it works from there. if it does, remove the offending processes from auto startup in the regestry manually. DO NOT attempt any of that if you dont know exactly what your doing you could very well pwn your PC trying.

Iphis

Fledgling Freddie
aye that sounds like what happened unfortunately i dont know my comp that well or have to balls to mess about with the process manager so ive taken the wimps way out and backed everything up and reformated seems fine now.

Thx for the reply

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom