Internet crash in 2006?

Sn00k3

Fledgling Freddie
I've heard from some mates that they read an article about some proffessors that have a teory that the Internet will crash in 2006 because of more and more people will use the internet.

What they mean is in the current state of the bandwidth is that it can handle the people that use it.
But the problem is the spam mail, a spam mail is ofc usally a virus who uses other peoples computers to send spam mail. 85% of todays internet is spam mail, and with users growing fast the spam mail will be more, mostly because most are unexperienced with a computer and not using firewall or virus program.

So they counted out at 2006 the growing of the users will catch up with the bandwidth and then the internet cant handle all the traffic.

Would you agree about this teory?
I know my english aint good and for those who
dont understand what i mean i made a little pic :p

Attachments

• teory.JPG
    teory.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 144

Bellona

Banned
With the initiatives of stopping spammail at the mail servers, this is highly unlikely to ever occur.

nothing more to say about it

And the internet will not crash, its a very wrong term to use for a large computer network, what will happend is called congestion, that is when too many packets are send too fast to the routers, and the packet-switching cant follow up with the demand, then the routers buffers will overflow and packetloss occur.

:m00:

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Sn00k3 said:
I've heard from some mates that they read an article about some proffessors that have a teory that the Internet will crash in 2006 because of more and more people will use the internet.

What they mean is in the current state of the bandwidth is that it can handle the people that use it.
But the problem is the spam mail, a spam mail is ofc usally a virus who uses other peoples computers to send spam mail. 85% of todays internet is spam mail, and with users growing fast the spam mail will be more, mostly because most are unexperienced with a computer and not using firewall or virus program.

So they counted out at 2006 the growing of the users will catch up with the bandwidth and then the internet cant handle all the traffic.

Would you agree about this teory?
I know my english aint good and for those who
dont understand what i mean i made a little pic :p

where do you get that 85% number thats just silly.
second off all there is much more bandwith than thats beeing used, everywhere there are fiber trunks that arnt used, if bandwith demands increase enough they will be used.
And if there is more demand then bandwith routers will just limit the bandwith.

these kinde doom storys been going on for ages, just like jehovas whitnesses been predicting the end of the world every couple of years

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
this thing was discussed pre 2000 as well

Basically the infrastructure of the internet is pretty piss poor, remember its all along phone lines in the majority of these arent very new or modern lines.

One of the dude who founded the internet (or arpanet if u wanna get sad :p) stated that eventually due to the massive increase in what the internets used for in terms of bandwidth the lines wont cope,

If you think about it, at the start of the net you were lucky to get a couple of 256 colour pictures and that was it, whereas now you stream full screen video at 100kbps + and people are dloading like nutters on p2p systems etc.

THe only real solution would be to massively upgrade the majority of machines used for transferring data and also upgrading every communication link in the world

....so i think its fair to say it will just get worse and worse :D

yes im bored shitless

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
I've got a scan of a news-article details how people can turn your PC into a bomb over the Internet, scarey shit. Apparently the molecular structure of the core processer can be altered electronically into a high yeild compound explosive.... or somthing like that, I should probably upload it it was funny as hell :D

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Bah, found and uploaded it but I can't edit my post anymore. I wish they'd increase the amount of time you have to edit somthing :(

Anyway, ph34r t3h h4kz0rZ! ;)

0434.jpg

Chilly

Balls of steel
Archeon said:
I've got a scan of a news-article details how people can turn your PC into a bomb over the Internet, scarey shit. Apparently the molecular structure of the core processer can be altered electronically into a high yeild compound explosive.... or somthing like that, I should probably upload it it was funny as hell :D
sounds about as likely as me waking up a good person in the morning

Zaphira

Fledgling Freddie
Bellona said:
With the initiatives of stopping spammail at the mail servers, this is highly unlikely to ever occur.

nothing more to say about it

And the internet will not crash, its a very wrong term to use for a large computer network, what will happend is called congestion, that is when too many packets are send too fast to the routers, and the packet-switching cant follow up with the demand, then the routers buffers will overflow and packetloss occur.

:m00:

Sounds like you're using Ålcom since you allso know so much about the problems with overloading routers.
i have packetloss all the time and Ålcom is my isp :D :D

Chronictank

FH is my second home
these are the same people who said the world was gona melt when we hit the yr 2000 :)
i wouldnt worry too much :)

the more immediate problem facing the internet is the number of free IP's left, but then we got a "short" fix for that in IPv6 i guess :)

Roteca

Can't get enough of FH
Zaphira said:
Sounds like you're using Ålcom since you allso know so much about the problems with overloading routers.
i have packetloss all the time and Ålcom is my isp :D :D

Ålcom sucks, but well. Sonera sucks even more on åland so not much of a choice anyways 8)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
No chance ,the internet is using about 20% of the bandwith avaliable, as technology advances the amount of data they can stuff down wires/fibre outruns any increase inthe traffic.

Most international data cables are very under subscribed, but as BT's security director has pointed out, the NET is dead, it's practically on it's back because of Viruses/Trojans /worms/spam.

Companies are getting sick of the money they have to spend on security, the NET is just a giant shithole for all the scumbags on the planet.

Expect companies to group together and hide behind giant corporate firewalls.

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
Dooom .. Dooooooom , we are all Doooo ... eummm , sorry got carried away there :m00:

Lumikki

Fledgling Freddie
Just as likely it will crash tomorrow. That would suck in general, I consider computers quite useless without internet. ;)

punchy

Fledgling Freddie
oblimov said:
Basically the infrastructure of the internet is pretty piss poor, remember its all along phone lines in the majority of these arent very new or modern lines.

err... what? Whatever you're drinking gimme some xD

Sn00k3

Fledgling Freddie
Roteca said:
Ålcom sucks, but well. Sonera sucks even more on åland so not much of a choice anyways 8)

I have sonera on åland, havent had one error except my own hardware probs.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The scientists and types predict a lot of fun stuff. Like the fact only 3% of the sky is observed for meteors, so 97% of that big blue up there is unwatched and a sneaky meteor might pop for a visit.

In the next 5 years, a big enough solar flare(you know, sun having one of "those days"), can send an EMP(electro magnetic pulse that solar flares cause) large enough to shutdown all electronics on that side of the earth. This is redicted at 50% or so.

The volcano below the ocean near japan might drown japan and australia ifit erupts fully. Squat can be done really and it did cause a few good shakes allready.

Scientists in the good old US have recieved three radio transmissions over alphawaves. This is either a feedloop probem in the satellite or a attempt from alien buddies to contact us....probly for our complete surrender or a notification that our planet is taen out from the way f an intergalactic highway and we have three days to evacuate.

So...fun anyone? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom