interesting question :P:P:p

TriggerHappy

Fledgling Freddie
i am being encouraged to change my char or re role atm i am a lvl47 vw hopefully 50 soon i go to a cyber cafe and so do many daoc players we were thinking of making gg and we are short on support classes i was just wondering which class of the following is the best choice
warden
druid
blademaster
eldrich :worthy: :worthy:

btw i also agree to rerole because even though vw are probably the most fun in PvE they really dont get many grps in serious rvr grps

vw= WOLF in sheeps clothing

aphios

Fledgling Freddie
VW's are pro, they gonna rox in new frontier, dont listen to them

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Eldrtich ofc! Though if you prefer support roles druid and warden are both nice classes and easier to get grps with. I wouldnt roll a BM going into NF..

TriggerHappy

Fledgling Freddie
thanx m8 but wat role can a vw really do in a grp they cant tank or cast to full affect but do have a shield against arrows which is uber anyway i dont particulary <or how eva it spelt> luv suppoort classes but like the way a warden can also use weopons :flame: :puke: :flame:

Frozensolid

One of Freddy's beloved
Most ppl see a vw as a tank with low hp, cloth armor and no determination (for now :) ) Its just the way ppl think about us valy's.. Think most ppl dont know what a good valewalker can do in a grp though. It takes some finesse and practice to get good at using the right styles at the right times, and to know when to switch between the caster "hat" and the tank "hat". No mashing of one uber spell or anytime style here. However, once you get the hang of our multitude of abilities, you will have something effective to do in more situations and environments than most non-hybrid classes. Assist liftap while u bg a caster, use both interrupts, side/back style anything that charges ur support/casters.. even when running in an assist train we do fine dmg.
It takes alot of time and effort to get there. Standing at dl and being told that they rather have a bm or an eld for real dmg happens... But i'm happy when i play with ppl that see what a valewalker is all about, and having a blast playing mine :clap:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
sadly det in NF isnt what many non det classes had hoped it would be, its next to useless, example VW det 5 (34 points)- 34% reduction to cc time, for this you need to be RR 4L4, add to this you need purge 2 (15 points) at least (imo) 10 points, which brings you to 5L9 thats before you get stuff like ichor of the deep and other "luxury" RA's. To get this on a Hero or BM you only need RR5 (stoicism 25% det)and det 3 (9 points) purge 2 (15 points)

for 34% you need RR5L9 on VW
for 35& you need RR5L0 on Hero/BM

it is an improvement but i still dont think its enough

Culanan

One of Freddy's beloved
Raven said:
sadly det in NF isnt what many non det classes had hoped it would be, its next to useless, example VW det 5 (34 points)- 34% reduction to cc time, for this you need to be RR 4L4, add to this you need purge 2 (15 points) at least (imo) 10 points, which brings you to 5L9 thats before you get stuff like ichor of the deep and other "luxury" RA's. To get this on a Hero or BM you only need RR5 (stoicism 25% det)and det 3 (9 points) purge 2 (15 points)

it is an improvement but i still dont think its enough

Learning not to get mezzed is part of playing a class without det, I have purge on my VW but prefer not to use it in a first mezz situation, otherwise I run the risk of wasting it and being the only unmezzed person and all dying anyway.

Best to break off and avoid the first mezz, interrupt CC'ers as fast as possible until the bard has purged/demezzed or the druid has used GP (pre-NF ofc).

I'll purge once the fight has started and if I get mezzed/stunned, I'll be getting purge/ichor in NF before I stack up on det, from what I've been reading Ichor with cast spd bonuses and high dex makes a good counter CC with it's root/DD.

Coccas

Loyal Freddie
getting purge 3 will save you from alot of cc too and will be up in most fights due to the 5 minute reuse timer so dont really need det IMO

Culanan

One of Freddy's beloved
TriggerHappy said:
thanx m8 but wat role can a vw really do in a grp they cant tank or cast to full affect but do have a shield against arrows which is uber anyway i dont particulary <or how eva it spelt> luv suppoort classes but like the way a warden can also use weopons :flame: :puke: :flame:

Hitting for 350-550 (depending on target, no crits) at 2.49 secs with 20% haste buff, 250 quick and 10% from items using a 5.6 spd scythe, take less dmg than my BM or ranger and I walked backwards against an assist train last night and it was funny to see the amount of evades/parries I still got!

Some can argue the value of a VW against a tank but VW is fun :worthy:

Aloca

Fledgling Freddie
Just get Purge 3 and you have it up every fight atleast.

Nausilus^^

Can't get enough of FH
Raven said:

Stoicism is an innate passive ability no? Or did it get changed?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Nausilus^^ said:
Stoicism is an innate passive ability no? Or did it get changed?
yes it is passive, but only blademasters and hero's get it in hib, cant remember if you get it at lvl 45 or RR5 but either way its 25% extra det on top of "speccable" det.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
I agree, VW is really a nice class and if I could be arsed to lvl another toon, VW would defo be in my list of choices, becaus eit's a versatile class. Sure you don't get det atm and also in NF, cc is gonna be tougher for you (but then again, there is purge 3). Your good point however is, that you have 2 insta interrupts, deal MUCH dmg with your scythe and if you get rooted, you're not out of the combat, you can still use your lifetap to keep the dmg going. With BG you can stand close to a caster and still deal dmg with your spells (a bit like thane, hihi).

I also think that VW's got a very nice bunch of melee styles. There is a good stun from behind, a sidestun-chain which deals awesome dmg and if you happen to parry, you have the lower pierce resist style.

So imho, don't reroll a class you don't like, instead keep on playing your class and learn how to master it, cause someone who masters a class he likes is a deadly player.

Mirt

One of Freddy's beloved
Our of those classes you listed I'd go for the druid. They will be always welcome in RvR, although possibly more so than your VW.

I think a VW can make a useful contribution to an RvR group. Damage output is pretty good*, and with some MLs you can /assist nuke with the caster you are bodyguarding, and switch to melee to stun any tank that comes too close. The LT is handy when rooted and during sieges.

In OF VWs don't have Det, however most groups will have 2x GP, and if you have Purge and the Ceremonial Bracers it's tollerable.

In NF we loose GP but gain the option of Purge 3, and with a good SC suit you can have the Gem of Lost Memories as well as the Ceremonial bracer for 2x mex turns. VWs also gain access to BAoD and Ichor <3

* Some of you may have seen this before, but here's what a fully buffed VW can do with the Sun Scythe: http://www.recursive.co.uk/blizz.jpg

Nausilus^^

Can't get enough of FH
Raven said:
yes it is passive, but only blademasters and hero's get it in hib, cant remember if you get it at lvl 45 or RR5 but either way its 25% extra det on top of "speccable" det.

It's lvl 45 then.. no rr requirements

Culanan

One of Freddy's beloved
Mirt said:
Our of those classes you listed I'd go for the druid. They will be always welcome in RvR, although possibly more so than your VW.

I think a VW can make a useful contribution to an RvR group. Damage output is pretty good*, and with some MLs you can /assist nuke with the caster you are bodyguarding, and switch to melee to stun any tank that comes too close. The LT is handy when rooted and during sieges.

In OF VWs don't have Det, however most groups will have 2x GP, and if you have Purge and the Ceremonial Bracers it's tollerable.

In NF we loose GP but gain the option of Purge 3, and with a good SC suit you can have the Gem of Lost Memories as well as the Ceremonial bracer for 2x mex turns. VWs also gain access to BAoD and Ichor <3

* Some of you may have seen this before, but here's what a fully buffed VW can do with the Sun Scythe: http://www.recursive.co.uk/blizz.jpg

Nice dmg, just the other night I ran into a scout with my VW and with just my self buffs killed him, ran into the same scout twice with my ranger and died horribly!

Personally I prefer snakecharmers scythe over sun scythe for RvR, sun scythe is damn nice for PvE tho :D

TriggerHappy

Fledgling Freddie
guys that is some serious ly nice research and i think i stick with vw for now that damage was insane ne one know that template??

Mirt

One of Freddy's beloved
My VW is a rr5 Firbolg (+10 str/con +5 dex/qui at creation) with 50s 38a 20p (the most common spec). The current SC setup is faily unremarkable (GoV, CBracers, SnakeCharmers, Zahur's crown, SoM, and sun belt as swapout).

Remember tho you are limited to slash and energy resist tables...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom