Interesting dilemma.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So, a good while back, a guy attacked me and friend in a cabline. I scraped my elbow and it got infected. Had to take three days off work.

No biggie, etc etc.

He attacked because he thought me and my friend threw eggs at his car, which we didn't.

He sued, and at the hearing, my friend countersued with the attack(because he could finally do so with the ID known, we only knew the face).

Now then, the guy has retracted his initial lawsuit, and is trying to settle with my friend about the attack.

My friend only wants a sentence, lock the guy up etc. and he has no grounds for financial demands.

But I have grounds for getting cash from injury etc.

Now it's basically up to me if i want the guy to pay or not.

I don't want someone to go to jail for a drunken mistake, but also, some acknowledgement of fault(besides "i'm sorry"), would be in order...i think it's only fair.

Here's the kicker, i'm a nice guy, bit too nice, and in this situation it kinda bites me in the a** as i think i should just let it go. Ok, f*ck up, bygones.

But at the same time...well...

Comments?

I think i lack the "normal" gland 'cause, well, i don't know what's appropriate :D

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Ask yourself a question:
What would *he* do if he was in your position and you were in his?

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Take his money. He should not have tried to attack you both so I don't have any sympathy for him.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Ask yourself a question:
What would *he* do if he was in your position and you were in his?

If i consider the guy tried to sue my friend for something he didn't do, i think he would sue me for something i DID do if i did.

So he most likely would sue me for assault etc, try to get everything, since he doesn't know me at all.

But here within lies the problem, i'm not him, hell, i couldn't harm a fly if not pushed :/

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
But here within lies the problem, i'm not him, hell, i couldn't harm a fly if not pushed :/

Yout don´t harm him. You just claim compenstation for his fault. If it was an eye for an eye scenario, where you were allowed to injure him the same way he injured you, then you´d be right. There´s no point doing it.
But as it is, you´re not doing anything wrong if you want him to pay for what he has done. He had all the options and decided to resort to violence, so it´s HIM who made the mistake.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yout don´t harm him. You just claim compenstation for his fault. If it was an eye for an eye scenario, where you were allowed to injure him the same way he injured you, then you´d be right. There´s no point doing it.
But as it is, you´re not doing anything wrong if you want him to pay for what he has done. He had all the options and decided to resort to violence, so it´s HIM who made the mistake.

Fair point.

I guess, not blowing own horn, i AM too much of a nice guy to a fault because i wouldn't want to ask anything and say "bygones" because i don't want to bother someone.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
What i was thinking, that would be fair, is to ask the guy what would be a fair amount to pay me for the wrongdoing, that he would feel comfortable to part with.

This way, i would feel that i was compensated for the trouble caused(emotional aside, different story) and he wouldn't feel too devastated for a drunken mistake.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Unless you got photos of said elbow and/or reported the actual assault to the police straight after the incident I doubt you'll have any case at all.

Always take pictors and report shit like that.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Unless you got photos of said elbow and/or reported the actual assault to the police straight after the incident I doubt you'll have any case at all.

Always take pictors and report shit like that.

Doctor reports prove it, and well, the guy admitted the assault so there's no case as, it's closed really.

Only thing depending is if i want to sue or not.

I couldn't have gone to the police before as i wouldn't have a case before because i had no more info then "face". Now i do.

EDIT: Noticed i forgot to mention him admitting blame.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Just do what you feel like, nothing more or less. Thinking in the lines of "what would he have done" is just stupid.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The guy sounds like a tool, suing someone for throwing eggs? (and suing the wrong people)

clear case of bellenditus, take him to the cleaners.

Corran

Part of the furniture
to sue the guy you have to go through civil court aye? (hey dont know where you live) - as such they wont be able to give any form of prison sentence. Need to go through criminal court.

If he wanted to sue you two for something that you did not do then I would sue him in return. The main thing you want to do is sue the guy for the loss of earnings, this will enable you to pay that back to your work and get the sick leave removed from your records - ok 3 days is not a big deal, however if it long term leave then that always a good reason to sue someone that is to blame for an injury.

Wouldnt get much by way of compensation anyways for the injury and "distress", but i would do it anyways if he admitted he done it already.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Teach the guy a lesson.

Think of it this way, when he's drunkenly eyeing up the next innocent what do you want him thinking.. Fuck this cost me X last time, or hey last time I got away with it.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Sue him. Like Corran said, if only for loss of earnings. If your company is the same as the every other you don't get paid for the first three days off so you've lost three days worth of wages. Sue him for that if nothing else.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Clicky

I called the police, simple because I didn't want to be charged myself. They concluded it was his fault, but I never sued. Was glad to be alive, you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom