Installing Sata drive as slave with IDE as main ?

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Its not there but.... It has in the top bit only the (C) with the picture of a HDD, below that is a box with Disk 0 , Basic 18.64gb , Online ... then below that is another box - Disk 1 , Dynamic, Foreign - and the picture of a HDD has a yellow triangular box over it with a ! in it...

I am guessing that means something is wrong ?

~edit~

Shit 3 pages in...was hoping it would be like 1 reply and job done :D

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
evzy said:
Its not there but.... It has in the top bit only the (C) with the picture of a HDD, below that is a box with Disk 0 , Basic 18.64gb , Online ... then below that is another box - Disk 1 , Dynamic, Foreign - and the picture of a HDD has a yellow triangular box over it with a ! in it...

I am guessing that means something is wrong ?
That Disk1 is the HDD you are looking for :cool: What options does it give you if you right click that Disk1 box? Been a while I had to do this stuff last time ;p

evzy said:
~edit~

Shit 3 pages in...was hoping it would be like 1 reply and job done :D
:p I actually spent 10mins spamming F5 for refresh on page 2 :p

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Saggy said:
That Disk1 is the HDD you are looking for :cool: What options does it give you if you right click that Disk1 box? Been a while I had to do this stuff last time ;p
Convert to dynamic disk? And next to that box is wider box with some information? Try to change the path and letter by right clicking.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Convert to basic?

And will it wipe the drive?

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
evzy said:
Convert to basic?

And will it wipe the drive?
Not sure so dont do it :D Did that HDD have partitions or just one drive? (edit: it would wipe the drive ;p)

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
No partition... I reckon give it a go?

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
evzy said:
No partition... I reckon give it a go?
Nah, it wont help :S Did your old PC have XP pro and this current one XP home?

Does right clicking either of the disk1 boxes give "import" option?

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Ah - old PC was XP home and new one is Pro - I think :)

First HDD - the IDE one can be converted into Dynamic, or other HDD can Import Foreign Disks or Convert to Basic

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
evzy said:
Ah - old PC was XP home and new one is Pro - I think :)

First HDD - the IDE one can be converted into Dynamic, or other HDD can Import Foreign Disks or Convert to Basic
Import foreign disk is the solution! :cool:

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Trying it- works... :)

But there is now a Yellow Triangle with ! over it on the top bit of the page - has Healthy (at risk) on the bottom larger picture box

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
evzy said:
Trying it- works... :)

But there is now a Yellow Triangle with ! over it on the top bit of the page - has Healthy (at risk) on the bottom larger picture box
Shouldn't matter, does the HDD display on My Computer? And is that HDD online now?

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Yup and Yup :D

/Salute Saggy

You Sir Are a Legend :D

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
evzy said:
Yup and Yup :D

/Salute Saggy

You Sir Are a Legend :D
:bazbeer: :cheers:
Rich Bill said:
A dynamic volume's status is Healthy (At Risk).

Cause:

Indicates that the dynamic volume is currently accessible, but I/O errors have been detected on the underlying dynamic disk. If an I/O error is detected on any part of a dynamic disk, all volumes on the disk display the Healthy (At Risk) status and a warning icon appears on the volume.

When the volume status is Healthy (At Risk), an underlying disk's status is usually Online (Errors).

Solution:

Return the underlying disk to the Online status. Once the disk is returned to Online status, the volume should return to the Healthy status. If the Healthy (At Risk) status persists, the disk might be failing. Back up the data and replace the disk as soon as possible.
Not sure do you need to worry about that or not :p Guess it displays that warning because it thinks you are running a RAID setup which you dont so dont worry about it.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Hmmm cool , I will keep an eye on it but am not going to prod it anymore now its working :) If it dies it dies :)

Thanks again for all the help - I owe you a pint without doubt!! :D

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
2 pages over night lol, Saggy what you talking about :( of course you need to go into bios to make sure its all enabled and the drives are declared properly.

The only cables in the HD should be the SATA power cable from the PSU and this

akasa_satacable_silver.jpg

You don't need any drivers either the only drivers you need for SATA are is the raid drivers if it's raided.

Glad you finally sorted it though :)

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
In the end, didnt need to touch BIOS, and the Power cable wasnt the SATA one pictured on the last page, was pretty much all through Device Manager and the driver update from there - nothing like a solid bodge job :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom