Insomnia

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Have been suffering with this the last few nights. A bunch of reasons I think - the anniversary of my father's death is coming up pretty soon (16th February), been working mega long hours - often up to 1am or so doing ****ing Tax Returns plus I met up with an ex last week who I was seriously into but, as is always the way in these stories, it didn't end well.

Any remedies for it? Advice? It's made me more than a little crabby, could barely contain my annoyance at some client's and staff today ... plus I told my blind date for Wednesday to take a hike at some comment she made. Now no more blind date :p

Chilly

Balls of steel
A good book at bedtime always puts me to sleep, its never failed.

Cant really give you any advice on any of the other stuff since iv never had someone that close to me die before - I suppose try and be with your family, eat well, keep busy (not too busy that your too tired to sleep tho!) and go find some whore for 50 bux :)

Hope you get a good night skip 2nite, if not then at least do something useful

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Obviously try these first (usual stuff): get regular sleep, go to bed and get up at the same time, don't sleep later, don't drink alcohol/caffeine in the evening or eat large meals or exercise in the evening.

More specific to what you're going through, I can relate a little to your situation and how memories of things (good and bad) must be constantly on your mind. I found that by getting my feelings out of me, instead of keeping them in my head, helped to calm my brain/nerves and sleep better. I did this by writing everything down about how I felt. Put it all into words, write it all down about what you're feeling, how do you feel about your ex, what are the best things you remember about your dad, write down your ambitions, what are you looking forward to, where do you plan to take your life in the next year, what's in the future.

Perhaps like a diary, perhaps like memoires, perhaps like a short story. It worked for me, you should perhaps try it, it might work for you.

Don't take nytol, it makes it even worse when you try to sleep when you don't take it. You essentially become dependant on it to get to sleep.

G

leggy

Probably Scottish
Big G said:
Put it all into words, write it all down about what you're feeling, how do you feel about your ex, what are the best things you remember about your dad, write down your ambitions, what are you looking forward to, where do you plan to take your life in the next year, what's in the future.

This is a really good idea. I have thought about doing it before but I might actually give it a try this week. I have the problem of blocking out all my worries for the entire day, then when I get to bed they seem to come flooding into my head like thought incontinence.

I know I'll end up crying or something though :)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
That's the idea, instead of all the thoughts going round and round and bugging you; write it down, even bullet point it all.

I had a fallout with the girlfriend and loads of things hounding me at work. As usual, night comes along and my head was buzzing with things - what would i say to her, what am i going to do at work, what if i can't concentrate at work. I wrote down what was bothering me, I wrote down what i would say to her, I wrote down a "to do" list to conquer at work in order of priority and various other bits.

Back to bed, out like a light! :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Diet has a huge effect on sleeping patterns. Pay attention to what you're eating.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Avoid all the shit like Nytol or any other manufactured shit to get you to sleep. Remember it only manages the symptoms and not the cause. After around 20 nights of continuous use it has little effect anyway. Best herbal remedy to help you back into a pattern of sleep is Valerian root. Available from most Health food shops. its often used to manage high blood pressure but side effect is that it helps promote deep sleep. If you have never tried it meditation helps rational thought

What Big G said about writing stuff down is an excellent idea. Last year I went through a pretty bad period of depression which I am still not over. All surrounding my old manand stuff and my sleep was up the wall. Eventually it got to a stage whereby it felt like sleep and being awake were one of the same thing without ever really letting my mind shut off.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Don't use Nytol cos it's fucking shit. I took 2 of the One a Night ones and it took me 3 hours after that to get to sleep.

Now Tomazepam (sp?), now THAT's the shiiit. They gave me one in hospital once and it knocked me out for 8 hours solid - felt great when i woke up aswell.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Bodhi said:
Now Tomazepam (sp?), now THAT's the shiiit. They gave me one in hospital once and it knocked me out for 8 hours solid - felt great when i woke up aswell.

42366.jpg

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
I suffer depression quite a bit, and it helps to just think about whether or not you feel you won't be able to sleep later on. Bad thoughts now -> maybe bad thoughts later -> plan to stay up. If you concentrate on getting something done you'll tire out. Takes practice, especially if there are concentration problems.
Also this is just the same as nytol or whatever, so focus on the cause.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Bodhi said:

DESCRIPTION

Restoril® (temazepam) is a benzodiazepine hypnotic agent. The chemical name is 7-chloro-1,3-dihydro-3-hydroxy-1-methyl-5-phenyl-2H-1,4-benzodiaz epin-2-one, and the structural formula is:
Termaz

termaz.gif

Temazepam is a white, crystalline substance, very slightly soluble in water and sparingly soluble in alcohol.

Restoril® (temazepam) capsules, 7.5 mg, 15 mg and 30 mg, are for oral administration.

7.5 mg, 15 mg, and 30 mg Capsules

Active Ingredient: temazepam, USP

7.5 mg Capsules

Inactive Ingredients: FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Red #3, gelatin, lactose, magnesium stearate, sodium lauryl sulfate, synthetic red ferric oxide, titanium dioxide, and other ingredients.

May also include: benzyl alcohol, butylparaben, carboxymethylcellulose sodium, edetate calcium disodium, methylparaben, propylparaben, silicon dioxide, and sodium propionate.

15 mg Capsules

Inactive Ingredients: FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Red #3, gelatin, lactose, magnesium stearate, sodium lauryl sulfate, synthetic red ferric oxide, titanium dioxide, and other ingredients.

May also include: benzyl alcohol, butylparaben, carboxymethylcellulose sodium, edetate calcium disodium, methylparaben, propylparaben, silicon dioxide, and sodium propionate.

30 mg Capsules

Inactive Ingredients: FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Red #3, gelatin, lactose, magnesium stearate, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide, and other ingredients.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Thanks for that Brynn, always wanted to know the molar mass of temazepam

Catsby

One of Freddy's beloved
Swift^ said:
Bedtime spliif. Sleep deep and sound.
Catsby has long since required a few drinks before bedtime. By some Catsby means about 8 to 10 units.
But the joys of being up late are many, for Catsby enjoys watching Dangermouse on at 2am. The aforementioned drinks add an angle to Dangermouse of which he was not aware when younger.

venus

Fledgling Freddie
Tamazepam is a sedative that we use in the hospitals for people suffering from sleep problems. However it has to be prescribed, it can be addictive and you will most probably become reliant on it (as with the herbal remedies such as nytol). Tbh these medications will help you sleep but will only hide the true issue behind your insomnia. You are quite obviously stressed at the moment and you need to confront those stresses head on. Big G has made a good suggestion about writing about these issues... another idea is to try and talk to someone about the things on your mind... they may be able to help you reach some form of resolution in your mind.
Finally if none of these sugestions work then visit your G.P remeber that they are not just there to dish out tablets. They can give you sound advice on how you can tackle your sleep deprivation without taking medication. They can also give suggestions on how to deal with stress.

Hope this helps

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Currently I am having similar problems, im finding horlix is actually quite useful, and lavender is also very good, a few drops on your pillow to relax you. Also camomille tea is relaxing, or just a glass of warm milk. Also some scented candles in the room (blow out when you get into bed) also can help.
If not wanking furiously until exhaustion sets in is always good too! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom