****ing lloyds tsb

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Time was they sent you a letter telling you your account was overdrawn within 24 hours....

Not anymore it seems, im getting proboly over 100 quid worth of banking charges as i dint realise my account was over drawn, untill my weekly balance sms today, if i had known if would have transfered money from elseware to sort it. ****s sake!

Oh and there phone lines are useless too, i rang twice today trying to change my account type as im a student now and got told something different each time and was told to ring a number that does not exist......

Ormorof

FH is my second home
they are in a bit of a mess, i had a direct debit paid out of my account then randomly refunded and then paid out, refunded, then got charged by the company trying to withdraw it cos they said the bank had rejected it despite having enough in there to pay for it several times over! lloyds are paying the charge however as it was their system thats messed up!

seems the whole thing is falling apart atm, both at branch level and at higher level since the HBOS business!

Corran

Part of the furniture
but dont worry.. your charges + tax payers money is going to help them pay over 120million quid in bonus payments for having a business that makes 10 billion quid losses \o/

If they can pay them bonuses to staff i want my 17 billion quid given back to the treasurary first!

megadave

I am a FH squatter
They are a bunch of gits indeed, fucked me over a few times in the past.

But i am sure Mey will soon come and tell you how you're a fucking dumbarse **** :p

gohan

FH is my second home
as much as u need to keep an eye on your own balance ect blah lbah, all banks are money grabbing pricks, end of!

but at the same time it is a buisness not a public service (tho with the amount of out money pumped in it should be a fucking goverment run publice service by now)

i work for barclays one of the only banks not to have had any goverment money and im still not getting a fucking bonus

even tho i got an A grade (top level performance), means i get a slightly better raise (6% in april) but no bonus, not a sausage

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
as much as u need to keep an eye on your own balance ect blah lbah, all banks are money grabbing pricks, end of!

but at the same time it is a buisness not a public service (tho with the amount of out money pumped in it should be a fucking goverment run publice service by now)

i work for barclays one of the only banks not to have had any goverment money and im still not getting a fucking bonus

even tho i got an A grade (top level performance), means i get a slightly better raise (6% in april) but no bonus, not a sausage

Also a Barclays employee, and Im getting my bonus just fine. What sector you in?

Back on topic, if your not happy with your bank. Walk.
Barclays have added something called a reserve. Basicaly you have your balance, over draft, then reserve. If you go over your overdraft and into the reserve, you get 1 charge per week of £8 while your in it. Go over it, and the usual fee's kick in.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Time was they sent you a letter telling you your account was overdrawn within 24 hours....

Not anymore it seems, im getting proboly over 100 quid worth of banking charges as i dint realise my account was over drawn, untill my weekly balance sms today, if i had known if would have transfered money from elseware to sort it. ****s sake!

Oh and there phone lines are useless too, i rang twice today trying to change my account type as im a student now and got told something different each time and was told to ring a number that does not exist......

I could be wrong, but wasn't there a ruling that massive bank charges were unfair practice? I'm talking about if you're £10 quid into an overdraft from the black, not £1000 quid into it.

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
The FSA agreeded the fee were unfair and probably unlawful, but there still not Illegal. The case is still at court and unit a rulling comes out, most banks arnt touching any requests for returning charges.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Sorry to hear that but i think they rock. My credit card i cut up over 18 months ago got fraud as i do not check it i got 2 sets of fines explained my self they took care of everything all fines removed card zeroed and closed. Try giving them a call if its unusual for you they may take the charges back.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Lloyds TSB charging structure has changed significantly since the "case" so I imagine you "fee"/"charge" whatever will be rather less than what you thing it will be. I sympathise with your situation and suggest that in future perhaps a quick look at internet banking when your on the computer will help you to manage your account more effectively.

The whole "lloyds" is going to get nationalised is all hearsay and we have sufficient capital to keep ourselves afloat, more than most of the other british banks because of our diverse investments, we expected to make a loss this year because we bought HBOS. The current BBC dog with a bone on Lloyds TSB is certainly not helping matters for public confidence mind.

Our chief, Eric Daniels has forgone his bonus but you can't expect lower level staff who earn shit wages to do the same, many rely on their bonus and have no control over the higher ups.

It is also worth pointing out that Lloyds did not need to take the Govt. bailout.

Corran

Part of the furniture
It is also worth pointing out that Lloyds did not need to take the Govt. bailout.

lloyds have benefited from them and actually still have some the bailout funding... it in your subsidery business. You know, that screwed up bank group you purchased.

More to the point, Lloyds TSB is 43% owned by the government due to the funding injected into your business. This means that they are supported by taxpayers money, thus why they shouldnt be paying out bonuses.

Tell me, wether you the cleaner of the director. Any normal business would not pay a single bonus if had a loss in the financial year.. especially the sort of loss the banks all had.

oh, and the government had to make up the funding shortfall by buying shares because no one else would buy them.. .no wonder we have had billions of quid thrown away as the shares continue to plummet since that time.

Corran

Part of the furniture
cant edit.. but here is the exact figure

"The government has already poured £17bn into the Lloyds Banking Group. "

Guess that doesnt class them as a bank that needed the government bailout :p

gohan

FH is my second home
Also a Barclays employee, and Im getting my bonus just fine. What sector you in?

Back on topic, if your not happy with your bank. Walk.
Barclays have added something called a reserve. Basicaly you have your balance, over draft, then reserve. If you go over your overdraft and into the reserve, you get 1 charge per week of £8 while your in it. Go over it, and the usual fee's kick in.

retail, i changed job about 6 months ago and they still havent sorted it after 5 different levels of management promising to have it sorted ect, and thier doing fuck all about reimbursing 6 months worth of missed bonuses which would be between 1500-2000 overall

also the reserve fee is £22 a week and returned transaction £8 per item up to 5 a day, so really you could get charged £62 in one day which is worse than £30 :<

gohan

FH is my second home
l
Tell me, wether you the cleaner of the director. Any normal business would not pay a single bonus if had a loss in the financial year.. especially the sort of loss the banks all had.
barclays made like 5 billion pre tax profit :<, and they went back to the pen on a chain to save money... lolz

Mey

Part of the furniture
So if I have done my job correctly and my balance score card is exceeded I should not get a bonus because of a loss that is totally out of my control?

Fuck off your talking horse shit.

We have more than enough capitial to absorb the losses incurred by HBOS.

Mey

Part of the furniture
HBOS, Losses and Bonuses

The weekend's media frenzy surrounding the HBOS merger and the payment of bonuses is doing nothing at all to help the current very difficult environment for all the Banks and the Government's attempts to stabilise the UK financial services sector.

Specifically for Lloyds TSB staff there is the danger that misleading comment and information will bounce the Government into taking unjustified action to prevent the payment of bonuses.

The HBOS Merger

Lloyds' merger with HBOS represented the only opportunity Lloyds was going to get to takeover another major UK financial institution, something that was going to be in the interest of both Lloyds and the UK economy.

The rationale for the merger, attacked over the weekend by politicians and some in the media is as strong now as it ever was. With known huge HBOS losses things were never going to be plain sailing but LTU has supported the merger from the beginning and nothing has happened to change that view. The Government has reiterated its view that Lloyds Banking Group will become a very strong business.

It doesn't take much thought to realise that the problems of HBOS, limited largely to its corporate banking area, would have been just as great if not greater without the merger and that, whilst the move provided a great opportunity for Lloyds, it also gave the Government its best option for stabilising the UK finance sector.

Finally, it's important to remember that Lloyds made a substantial profit in 2008 and that the underlying HBOS franchise is itself inherently profitable.

The Media

Whilst the media's job is to report the news we would all like to think they will do so accurately and responsibly even if experience tells us not to expect them to. The fact is of course that all journalists want a good story and many are not too concerned about getting a balanced picture: to put it bluntly, for many the facts are seldom allowed to get in the way of sensationalism. Bank bonuses have had this sort of treatment for the last few weeks even though the journalists and broadcasters concerned know perfectly well that very few staff in the major High Street banks either earn high salaries, get large bonuses or can contribute much to the sort of large losses reported by HBOS.

Politicians

Some politicians, scenting the opportunity to get cheap publicity knocking the Banks and the Government's rescue package, have not been slow to offer up increasingly hostile comments on banks and bonuses when they also know perfectly well that the sort of bonuses paid to most staff is nothing more than basic pay, paid in another form that is intended to increase performance rather than encourage risk taking. Yesterday's news coverage and in particular comments from David Cameron of the Conservatives and Vincent Cable of the Liberal Democrats just added to the misinformation being fed to the public.

Perhaps the most stunning idea is the proposal from the Conservatives that the Banks should be forced to break the contracts of employment they have with their employees and simply not pay bonuses earned in 2008. It's often said that we get the politicians we deserve but I don't think any of us have done anything to deserve this sort opportunism or incitement to unlawful behaviour.

We've written to all MP's today to ensure that none of them can justifiably claim that bonuses in Lloyds TSB have rewarded excessive risk taking or contributed in any way to the problems of HBOS or the wider banking sector.

The Government and UKFI

So far the Government has tried to differentiate between the sort of bonuses that have driven excessive risk taking and those that are really just part of a modern pay package.

But as I said earlier there is now a real danger that the Government will be pushed unwillingly into a move on bonuses that it seems to have tried hard to avoid.

We have written to both the Chancellor of the Exchequer and the Chairman of UK Financial Investments (the body set up to look after the taxpayer's investments in UK banks) to set out the facts on bonuses as opposed to the serious misrepresentations in the media. There is little doubt that they already understand all of this but it's equally important that they hear the message from staff loud and clear.

Nationalisation

One other effect of the press onslaught and agitation from politicians has been to push the government to change its stance on nationalisation. Over the last week it has moved from saying that nationalisation was not under consideration, to saying that it was "not under active consideration" and this morning to saying that it isn't "contemplating nationalisation at the moment". This shift of position is very subtle but there's no doubt that the pressure being exerted on the Government to nationalise is very real.

Nationalisation for any prolonged period will not be in the interest of the UK economy, customers or staff. Political influence over Bank lending decisions would certainly not be a good way of allocating the amount of money in the economy to businesses. Politicians would always have one eye on their local electoral prospects rather than on the risk involved in any lending.

For staff, the current pressure on bonuses should have shown what could be expected in a nationalised bank subject to constant interference from politicians.

Ian Partridge
General Secretary

That's from my Union, some food for thought for ya before you jump on the bandwagon.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Whoever wrote that has missed the point. They got 17 billion pounds, whether you want to call it a bailout is up to you, they took it regardless. They are now giving out bonuses (across the board) yet the company as a whole (the same with most banks) is running at a loss. How on earth can they justify that? With thousands of small businesses struggling to pay the standard wage bill, let alone bonus payments.

Wouldn't it be nice if every mis-managed company could just rely on the government to sort out their fuck ups?

Sorry May but to use your usual drivel, Lloyds have not been managing their finances properly and have over spent and under earned and should be charged a weekly fee until they sort their shit out. As it is at the moment they are getting hand outs for going overdrawn.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
So if I have done my job correctly and my balance score card is exceeded I should not get a bonus because of a loss that is totally out of my control?

Your talking rubbish Mey

A bonus should be just that a bonus to reward the company doing well ... not to be relied upon but people as it might not be there if the company did poorly.

You get paid your salary that you agreed to when you started for doing a good job. You do a bad one you get warned of fired.

It silly that you demand your bonus when the company hasn't made enough money to pay it.

Those that have contracted bonus's, its not really a bonus its part of the renumeration for doing a good job.

Im my job we get a bonus once a year if the company as a whole is performing well and usually ahead of predictions.

If not we dont get it.

So I cant see how buying a business that includes a 10bn loss contributes to lloyds making a prifit this year. Also you have enough capital to take the loss and not just go under because you have 17bn from the tax payer.

So do a good job and get paid rather than the sack and think yourself lucky if you get a bonus.

Thats why its called a bonus not a definite or something similar

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I agree with Mey, a bonus is based on your contribution to the companies performance. Woolworths managers were given bonus based on their q3 performance, because that bonus was about individual stores. The company failures and board decisions were out of our control and therefore the managers should not suffer because of it.

If departments in Lloyds do well then they should be given a bonus based on whatever the incentive was. This is money that would have been budgeted for at the start or the year, so it is hardly going to affect anything.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Lloyds TSB made a profit for 2008.

Why should Lloyds staff be punished for the failings of HBOS when we had nothing to do with them?!

Chilly

Balls of steel
its the strategists and big dogs in the risky parts of the banks that dont deserve anything. the other 95% of staff who signed a contract with a 20% annual bonus based on performance (ie getting x new bank accounts opened or y new credit cards started) had nothing at all to do with the risks and losses and contributed in a profitable way to their sector of the business.

I work for a business with bonus incentives - and if we dont hit targets we dont get the wonga, if we do then guess what we get the money.

Modern banks are normally 3 or 4 businesses. Weath management (pension stuff and accounts), retail (credit cards, bank accounts) and investment/securities (very high risk). If 3 of those four businesses (and the thousands of staff that work for them) all contribute profit to the group, why should they pay for the incompetence of the others doing insane things with derivatives?

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
i'm the same i had £100 in charges this month, difference is i dont blame the banks. I blame myself for not keeping in top of things over the christmas period

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
The FSA agreeded the fee were unfair and probably unlawful, but there still not Illegal. The case is still at court and unit a rulling comes out, most banks arnt touching any requests for returning charges.

Clever, but it won't save them mostly since the statues limit potential returns to 6 years i believe? :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Lloyds TSB made a profit for 2008.

Why should Lloyds staff be punished for the failings of HBOS when we had nothing to do with them?!

Cause its now lloyds /hbos as one entity so there is no more HBOS and llyods just one big bank so therefore the whole organisation made a loss .. your higher managements fault that they didnt do their sums enough to see buying HBOS was shite...

Lifes not fair in that respect .. just because i do a good job .. if the uk part of the company make all their targets and the rest of the world suck and dont then i still dont get a bonus

You have to look at he bigger picture not your own microcosm

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
your higher managements fault that they didnt do their sums enough to see buying HBOS was shite...
I reckon the accountancy team that got involved in that due diligence has had their asses reamed like a catholic schoolboy in a soap-picking-up contest in the vatican's shower room.

Someone screwed up anyway!

Mey

Part of the furniture
Well at the end of the day, my bonus is written in my contract. So thanks Tax payers, i'll sink a few for ya ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'm gonna just say these;

Keep a check on your balance yourself, bank ain't your mom. If you can't, stop using credit cards! :eek: They're a business, and business makes money for itself(well, tries i guess).

If a employee has bonus set in his/her contract, the contract should be respected. If the company doesn't have the dough, then they should discuss it with the employee and draw a new contract on that particular case.

In any case, it's not the employees fault so should not be punished.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home

Let me get this straight you've done your job correctly, exceeded your companies stated rule set for your annual assessments. Good for you. Your company makes a huge loss but you still expect a 'profit share' bonus. It's that kind of thinking that got the world into this shit!

When a business makes no money how can it pay bonuses to staff? I just don't get it. When a business is doing well, profits are high you reward those who help create that.

It seems to be the same ethical thinking everybody hates within top biz executives, fat cats creaming in the money for doing a shit job.

Example I've seen. Conversation quotation from a Smiths Industries CEO a few years ago being questioned by the Dailly Mail reporter at a shareholders meeting I attended.

Reporter, "Your Profits are down 7% your Revenues are down 12% on last year and yet your still getting a huge bonus. Why is that?"
Norman Barber, "The company exceeded it's set business plan objectives for the year."
Reporter, " Ah, but who sets those objectives?"
Norman Barber, "Of course, we do"

As for the HBOS books. From what I've been reading you never completed Due Dilligence on HBOS books before the takeover. A takeover which was rushed through by 'Number 10'. Now that you've been through them properly you found the pit to be a lot deeper than expected. As a Lloyds TSB customer with over 50K Sterling on deposit, 30K of it in the UK Division I am extremely worried right now!

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Well at the end of the day, my bonus is written in my contract. So thanks Tax payers, i'll sink a few for ya ;)

But is it a with profits percentage based system? Do the Banks poor balance sheet have an effect on the ammount give?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom