Infiltrators - welcome any input

Lorimez Shadowblade

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Feb 8, 2004
Messages
967
Hi.

Looking for some input into infiltrators from people in the know :)

Basically want some ideas on:-

1. specs - what different styles/combos of skills would you recommend?
2. thrust or slash - which one is generally the better?
3. items - any suggestions for non arti items? Whats the benefit of using LGM weapons etc

Basically how some good ideas but felt its worth seeing what people who have played infi's know about them.

Any do's and don'ts would be welcomed :) (Except don't roll one : )

/bow
 

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Joined
Mar 10, 2004
Messages
2,923
Not much I can put in here, since I don't play any stealther myself. But I know at least that heat lw's are great on stealthers, since leather is vulnerable to heat.
 

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
15,105
Right;

Specs - You can either go Critblade spec, which for thrust infiltrator involves going 50 thrust/44 CS/35 stealth/envenom and rest in DW. However if you're autotraining you can squeeze another point each in stealth/env (allowing you to utilise lifebane at rr4, which is worth it, imo). With this spec you'll have a higher PA cap than Slash spec, although you'll only have garrotte chain as your anytime style, not neccesarily a bad thing. You're less effected by the str/con poison than slash as your damage is dex/str based instead of 100% str as slash is.

Slash critblade i think would be 50 slash, 39 slash, 35 stealth/env. You're more suited vs shadowblades as slash than thrust, although your only stun style is CD, which many tend to run through now.

Mercfil - Personally i wouldn't recommend this spec to a low RR infil having tried it and not really enjoying it. You have to go 50 weapon/DW which majorly hurts your other lines, not to mention missing your key opener (Perf chain). This is more suited to higher RR infils (6/7+) as they can get 50 effective stealth/env much easier without gimping themselves. Also, you'll only really be spamming DS backed up with DF or Spammyslash depending on your weapon line.

So to generalise, go all or nothing in one line, don't spread yourself, you need damage not utility as an infiltrator :).

In terms of artifacts/items, i use a total of 5 in my template, although it's not all neccessary, it just adds nice features. I can't speak highly enough of using a Lw mainhand and Croc dagger offhand (the melee bonuses speak for themselves :)). This also allows you to switch from heat > cold > spirit, or whatever your choice is. If you're slash you're better off going for the Malice+Battler combo, although for thrust (as myself), i use a LW or Golden Spear mainhand and Croc Dagger offhand. Lw's for the stealthers and GS for the support classes for the big perf :).

The other artifacts i use are GSV, this isn't massively difficult to get and it has some nice melee bonuses with it, along with the bonus 3% melee resist over the cap. SoM i'd say is pretty important, the ablative is very nice at times but i've found myself using it more for the Stealthlore charge as of recently. The 5% melee speed is also very nice. Ring of dances is optional, although having 2 sets of SL i've found is pretty beneficial.

Luckily as an infiltrator your ML's aren't essential to the class, although they do benefit you a lot. Being able to destroy enemy fonts/nodes etc instantly is handy, along with an AE DoT mine which can take ~30%+ off an enemy's health. If you can get to Ml9 (which i am yet to) i'm sure other infil's can comment on the usefulness of the AE Mez poison at times.

Hope this has helped ;)

/essay off
 

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
1,440
Hm, so Mercfils don't do well at low RR huh? Guess I'll be looking for a respec stone when I level. :) My infiltrator is autotraining still, and needs 3 bubs before he's done and at level 48! :) Thanks for the info.
 

bigchief

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,642
Vladamir said:
Slash critblade i think would be 50 slash, 39 slash, 35 stealth/env. You're more suited vs shadowblades as slash than thrust, although your only stun style is CD, which many tend to run through now.
I assume you meant 50cs 39slash ;o (or even less slash, only need 51 mod spec).
 

bigchief

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,642
Deepflame said:
Hm, so Mercfils don't do well at low RR huh? Guess I'll be looking for a respec stone when I level. :) My infiltrator is autotraining still, and needs 3 bubs before he's done and at level 48! :)
mercfils don't do well @ all in NF really, especially compared to a 50cs spec. No high damage opener = qq for the way rvr is played atm.
 

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
15,105
bigchief said:
I assume you meant 50cs 39slash ;o (or even less slash, only need 51 mod spec).
Yeah, long night, early start, etc :p
 

Pudzy

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
1,121
Bc you seem to add alot of critism even tho your an experienced inf, why not give the guy a spec while your hear saying what doesn't work :p
 

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
15,105
Pudzy said:
Bc you seem to add alot of critism even tho your an experienced inf, why not give the guy a spec while your hear saying what doesn't work :p
More Derric does cartoons!.
 

bigchief

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,642
Pudzy said:
Bc you seem to add alot of critism even tho your an experienced inf, why not give the guy a spec while your hear saying what doesn't work :p
all I was doing was pointing out he said slash twice in his spec? ;o
 

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
1,673
Vlad less writing esays more playing your merc on guild group night :(
 

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
15,105
Having a blast with inf atm :(. 70k this weekend, only another 70 to go to rr5 <o/
 

gohan

I am a FH squatter
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
6,338
definatly get urself 98%+ heat an cold main hand LW's great v stealthers
and for non artis items the ml 6.10 vest is great cant remeber wot its called tho an then like blackened wrap ring of moiria bracer of heavenly bodies ect ect ring of dance is good for stealther has + stealth an stealth lore if u cant get/ dont wont SoM the hardened cetus cloak is fairly good not really sure about any other good items but u can make a good temp pretty cheap.
 

Tsabo

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 26, 2004
Messages
1,151
To start I'd say...

50 Thrust
44 CS
36 Stealth
34/35 Envenom
Rest in DW

I'm not really experienced, but I have tried out a few specs while playing my inf so far. Done the 50DW/50Thrust spec, done the 50Thrust/50CS Spec, but I think the trade off of 6 CS for the extra DW I now have is well worth it.

Also I'd suggest trying to get DotMine ML as soon as. Does wonders during fights if you dont have great dot poisons on ur weaps.

I'd tend to suggest using LWs pretty all the time ofc unless you are fighting a group with resist buffs or fighting near a portal keep, as alot of Mids/Hibs will leave the keeps with Shammy heat resist buffs up still.
 

Kinag

Part of the furniture
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
3,217
gohan said:
definatly get urself 98%+ heat an cold main hand LW's great v stealthers.
Heat and cold? Rather go with two heat LW's as leather is vulnerable to heat.
 

danmrman

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
628
All depends on your play style mate, do u wanna be good at almost 1 hitting casters or good at taking down light tanks.

My Inf is:
50 slash
44 CS
36 stealth
35ish in Envemon
20 DW.

I do well agasint most of the classes.

I would say with the high ammount of Whorelocks about Trying to 1 hit em is a very good idea!
 

gohan

I am a FH squatter
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
6,338
heat for assasins cold for archers :p and they haveidencticel stats so u can have crocthooth offhand and the LW main an switch between heat or cold depending wot u fight
 

Tsabo

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 26, 2004
Messages
1,151
gohan said:
heat for assasins cold for archers :p and they haveidencticel stats so u can have crocthooth offhand and the LW main an switch between heat or cold depending wot u fight
If you're gonna use a LW do it right and use 2 LWs, double the chance for proc to go off and then will increase ur damage on both hands
 

bigchief

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,642
Tsabo said:
If you're gonna use a LW do it right and use 2 LWs, double the chance for proc to go off and then will increase ur damage on both hands
and spend the first 5 seconds of a fight swapping 2 swords ...
 

Tsabo

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 26, 2004
Messages
1,151
bigchief said:
and spend the first 5 seconds of a fight swapping 2 swords ...
how comes? proc goes off knackers their resists by 35% cancelling their 24% resist buff and doing an extra 11% still always worth it on an assasin as their armour weak anyway.
 

bigchief

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,642
toa bonuses from something like a croc tooth > chance to proc an offhand debuff (since offhand will rarely proc it compared to mainhand). I agree having both hands debuffed rocks, something that works well with a spirit lw + blade shadow but when using heat and cold its hassle as u end up with a heat in offhand and a cold in mainhand vs archers (unless you cba to swap 2 weapons, hence the original time comment) and you lose 4%melee 3%style if you dont use a croc tooth etc.

While you can still get 9%melee using 2 LW's, you only get 6%style, and given a CS inf's damage is more than 50%style based thats quite a chunk ;o
 

Tsabo

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 26, 2004
Messages
1,151
bigchief said:
toa bonuses from something like a croc tooth > chance to proc an offhand debuff (since offhand will rarely proc it compared to mainhand). I agree having both hands debuffed rocks, something that works well with a spirit lw + blade shadow but when using heat and cold its hassle as u end up with a heat in offhand and a cold in mainhand vs archers (unless you cba to swap 2 weapons, hence the original time comment) and you lose 4%melee 3%style if you dont use a croc tooth etc.

While you can still get 9%melee using 2 LW's, you only get 6%style, and given a CS inf's damage is more than 50%style based thats quite a chunk ;o
true...

against archers i use a matter lw mainhand, heat offhand, i cba to change that one and it works wonders for me, most archers seems to skimp on matter resists.
 

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
1,440
Hey, I never had any artifact on level 10 bar Orions Belt so far, I don't know what a belt of sun produces. :)
 

bigchief

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,642
Deepflame said:
Hey, I never had any artifact on level 10 bar Orions Belt so far, I don't know what a belt of sun produces. :)
well you only get one of each weapon when you summon .. so u need to wait 30mins to do 2 charges and get a weapon for each hand. Then if you die, i think its during nighttime hours, all bots weapons are despawned. So its not exactly the best to use in rvr ;o
 

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
2,242
bigchief said:
well you only get one of each weapon when you summon .. so u need to wait 30mins to do 2 charges and get a weapon for each hand. Then if you die, i think its during nighttime hours, all bots weapons are despawned. So its not exactly the best to use in rvr ;o
Gifv ur old trust temp :( (not spec but SC stuff :p)

/Dracus
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom