Infiltrators - slash or thrust?

L

Legaoniel_v

I've had some very good advice on this, but want to know your thoughts! Also general help on stats, where to put points etc would be greatly appreciated!

D

Draylor

An infiltrators main stat is dex, which increases each level.

Thrust damage is dex based.

A perfect match.

Slash damage is str based, its the 3rd stat for infils. It will obviously increase more slowly as you level, reducing your potential to deal damage.

As for starting stats Id go +10 dex, +10 qui, +10 con - but Ive never played an infil so take that into account :)

B

belth

Thrust is 50/50 dex/str, not full dex. Only staves are full dex, shame we can't spec in them :(
I'd most likely go +10 str/con/qui if I started an infil again. Went that route with my Norse Shadowzerk also, will have equal Str & Dex at 50 (if I play her there). Went +5 str/con, +10 dex/qui on my infil.

A slashing infil will do much worse than now in 1.52 due to melee resist changes on leather - Nightshades will have slash resisting leather :/ Slasher also has considerably lower weapskill compared to thruster, due to the crap Str we get ;)

T

Tranquil-

http://home.satx.rr.com/silverknight/damage-armor-table.htm

With thrust damage:
neutral vs Rangers/Nightshades
resistant vs Hunters/SB's

With slash damage
resistant vs ranger/NS
vulnerable vs hunter/SB

Do you want neutral vs ns's which are weaker than SB's and resist vs SB's or do you want Vulnerable against SB's which are tougher and resist vs NS's which are easier.

It sure is easier to take down a tougher mob when you got an advantage against it though.. Your call..

B

belth

If the resist %'s are same:

SB against Thrust infil:
Infil gets 15% penalty
SB gets no penalty, no bonus
- Infil has 15% disadvantage

SB against Slash infil:
Infil gets 15% bonus
SB gets no penalty, no bonus
- Infil has 15% advantage

Pierce NS against Thrust infil:
Infil gets no penalty, no bonus
NS gets 15% penalty
- Infil has 15% advantage

Blade NS against Thrust infil:
Infil gets no penalty, no bonus
NS gets no penalty, no bonus
- Even

Also, you won't be fighting just assassins...

Slash has amethyst slash and Thrust has Dragonfang, infil gets +1 dex every level, +1 str every 3 levels. You will never have high weapskill as slasher if you're not buffed.

O

old.CrazyMuppet

I have noticed that slash infils have a somewhat easier time at soloing than thrust infils.

for example: moor boogeys, dunters and all kinds of trees in cornwall/lyonesse are weak vs slash.. that helps a lot.

I have a slash infil myself and i can solo him at lvl35 without much trouble.

My decision was to see how able slash infils are in PvE and RvR and so far im not disappointed at all... when i found out i could kill a red-conning kobold hunter even when i missed PA i knew i wasn't playing a gimp :)

As for the lack of str: it's not as bad as people think... just try to get nice +str items (i've been wearing pygmy death beads since lvl10 :) )and spend your 1st realm spec point on Augmented strength...

One thing to be careful about: If you want a slash infil, do NOT make him a saracen.

About the dragonfang 'hype': It is a good thrusting style... BUT you would only need it if your PA misses... because after PA, CD, SS either the enemy is dead or low hp or you are dead. Good thing about the dragonfang style is the stun, but you need to evade first... and after evade you can also use the hamstring/leaper combo. And dragon fang doesnt have a followup style... hamstring/leaper are both low fatigue, so they save on endurance.

Some people believe you are 'completely gimped' if you don't have dragonfang... well that's just BS :)

So don't listen to people screaming slash infils are gimped... it's just a question of what your target is... i won't be going after big bad even-con chain wearing trolls... i'd much rather go after their little soft blue friends.

L

-Lonewolf-

Well with the new armour and battle changes in 1.52 fights last far longer and u will find that Dragon Fang is essential and yes if u don't have DF then u are gimped because without that Stun u are up shit creek without a paddle

With Dodger 3 u could stun someone an entire fight in theory

Plus as he said slash is dependent on str so essentially ur never gonna have as high a weapon skill if u are depending on str

Put it this way my str is capped out at 150, and my dex is capped out at 210

Makes alot of difference

O

old.CrazyMuppet

Originally posted by -Lonewolf-

With Dodger 3 u could stun someone an entire fight in theory

So basically what you're saying here is that you never get hit in melee then? :)

L

-Lonewolf-

Yeah mate with Dodger 4 I don't even wanna go into how many times you evade people its madness

But in theory u will get hit, too many variables to think about its a Friday!

B

belth

I have noticed that slash infils have a somewhat easier time at soloing than thrust infils.

Only if you choose targets that are thrust resistant and slash vulnerable...

for example: moor boogeys, dunters and all kinds of trees in cornwall/lyonesse are weak vs slash.. that helps a lot.

Thrust gets a bonus on boogeys also, can't remember dunters because they use slashing attack and hit infils harder than higher con greater boogeys. Talk about weird... Trees... Slash resistant, but why the hell did I draw aggro half the time without any kind of styles in treegroups where tanks are almost always slash?

I have a slash infil myself and i can solo him at lvl35 without much trouble.

So could my thruster, but it's too slow soloing with infil past 30 really.

My decision was to see how able slash infils are in PvE and RvR and so far im not disappointed at all... when i found out i could kill a red-conning kobold hunter even when i missed PA i knew i wasn't playing a gimp :)

Slash infil isn't a total gimp, but thrusters use the class more completely due to 1. thrust is based on both dex and str and 2. thrust styles are more suited for an evader.

As for the lack of str: it's not as bad as people think... just try to get nice +str items (i've been wearing pygmy death beads since lvl10 :) )and spend your 1st realm spec point on Augmented strength...

You don't get +stats from a lvl42 item at 10 :p Even if you're capped on str, your str will still be lower than the average of your str & dex.

About the dragonfang 'hype': It is a good thrusting style... BUT you would only need it if your PA misses... because after PA, CD, SS either the enemy is dead or low hp or you are dead. Good thing about the dragonfang style is the stun, but you need to evade first... and after evade you can also use the hamstring/leaper combo. And dragon fang doesnt have a followup style... hamstring/leaper are both low fatigue, so they save on endurance.

If you don't fight at all when you can't perf, sure, you wont find any use for DF... Also, after using DF, you can still go in to the CS evade chain. It does more damage than just spamming DF.

Some people believe you are 'completely gimped' if you don't have dragonfang... well that's just BS :)

You are somewhat gimped if you're a thruster without DF, but you can still be a very dangerous opponent 1v1. It's not a must, but it propably helps nicely.

So don't listen to people screaming slash infils are gimped... it's just a question of what your target is... i won't be going after big bad even-con chain wearing trolls... i'd much rather go after their little soft blue friends.

I rather like killing yellows/oranges instead of blues ;)

B

bult

Originally posted by old.CrazyMuppet

thing about dragonfang is you can stun him after evade and then do hamstring chain while he is stunned. Maybe even do it twice before stun wears off.. until he hits again it still counts as your evade combat turn. You can spam hamstring if you wish until the stun wears off :)

and to Lonewolf no you can not stun him forever because even melee based stun attacks are on a 1 min timer in RvR so it only works once but thats enough :)

Users who are viewing this thread