Indirect Fire

C

.Cask

Makes me think that the teams are a bit 1 sided really. Axis start off with a huge carrier and and a mobile destroyer that can kick some serious ass, and allies start off with..... 1 extra plane.

Ok so the allies can get all the vehicles at the start but people play smart now and life expentancy for a tank isn't that long anymore. Half-tracks you have got to be kidding me, the only use for these fuckers is tank ramming or hiding behind. Jeeps are the only honourable weapon and jeep-bumper-bashes should count for 3 kills instead of 1, but they don't really make up for a destroyer.

Having said that I don't really see Axis winning all the time but given their advantages - they should, damnit.

W

Will

The Axis have a large delay from spawn to shore at the start, and having troops on the ships firing leaves them short on the island. That said, clan games will be two-way affairs anyway.

S

Scooba Da Bass

I think the biggest decider rather annoyingly comes down to the difference in guns between the allied and axis infantry. Infantrymen rather typically make up at least 60% of the attack force, and in most one on one's I'd nod towards the allied Bar having the edge.

W

Will

Well, a sniper rifle is a sniper rifle is a sniper rifle.

But if I was an assaulter, I'd rather have a BAR even with its shorter clip.

X

xane

Originally posted by _Cask_
Makes me think that the teams are a bit 1 sided really. Axis start off with a huge carrier and and a mobile destroyer that can kick some serious ass, and allies start off with..... 1 extra plane.

In case you haven't noticed, the Allies are defending, so the overall advantage goes to attacker to balance. In a well organised defence there will be no sneaking into un-manned bases.

Half-tracks you have got to be kidding me, the only use for these fuckers is tank ramming or hiding behind.

You haven't noticed that (a) getting inside one will heal and re-arm you, and (b) driving one by a tank or AA gun will re-arm it also, these are not offensive vehicles, but they are very powerful used as backup. Also using one full of troops to storm a base is very effective.

Jeeps are the only honourable weapon and jeep-bumper-bashes should count for 3 kills instead of 1, but they don't really make up for a destroyer.

Maybe, but I'd consider Jeep skill more if the titanium bulletproof windshield wasn't so unrealistic, letting an entire clip into the face of the driver trying to ram you should ensure at least one hit, but that magic glass seems to stop them all without even as much as a dent.

Having said that I don't really see Axis winning all the time but given their advantages - they should, damnit.

The BAR is the decider, I wouldn't exactly call myself a sniper d00d but I get far more kills with a BAR than any other weapon, at any range.

X

xane

Originally posted by Itcheh
I can't work it out, but maybe someone else can decode these instructions. I'll be the man hiding in the bushes with the binoculars.:D

Simplified version:

(for Scout)

1. Scout class, use binoculars (key 5) in zoom mode press fire when a target is in your middle screen, must be a target like a building or vehicle.

2. Once you have a target you automatically issue a call for artillery, you can only have one target active at a time per scout, and they last for around 2 minutes (?), don't keep pressing the fire button on the binoculars.

(for Artillery)

3. When the artillery (on Wake map this is either the coastal guns or the destroyer rear gun only, in position "2"), hears the call, they will see a big yellow area light up on the map for each scout, select the "scout view" using the alternate fire key, you can scroll though each until you find a target, you see roughly what the Scout saw through his binoculars when he hit the fire button.

4. The "scout view" shows a big circle with a cross in it. Somewhere on the edge of the circle is an arrow, this is you gun, use the horizontal movement (mouse left-right) to turn your gun so the arrow points to the centre.

5. If you are moving (like the destroyer), then this becomes difficult. You may also find the gun cannot turn enough, you are stuffed.

6. Next you have to estimate distance, this is shown by the vertical yellow slider to the left of the circle, only experience will make this easier.

7. Fire a shot, the "scout view" follows the shot, you can see where it lands unless you are hopelessly out and it either falls way short or ends up off map.

8. Use the yellow slider bars, both top (horizontal) and left (vertical) to zero in on the target, you have around 2 minutes for the "scout view" to expire.

9. Note that the destroyer fires two sets of guns at a time, so you may see two widely spaced impacts, you can zero either of these in.

Notes:

* Scouts should not select another view once the artillery has started, it is bloody annoying losing your view as you are zeroing in and have to start again.

* You dont need to hit the centre of the view, if it is a moving target you can just follow it, the "scout view" has quite a large angle of view.

* Use F2-F6 to annouce "artillery ready" and get those scouts to stop sniping and working for you !

* Best position for the destroyer is away from the land and with the stern (rear) facing the island, that way the rear guns can target anywhere.

* Some of the coastal guns can target other parts of the island.

If you see me online Itch, as "xane", then give me a shout and I'll pair up with you, either as Scout or Artillery, I enjoy both.
HTH

W

Will

Like I said, I'll be the scout.

I gave directed fire a good go last night, by marking the target myself and then getting in a shore gun. I just couldn't get the hang of it, there seemed to be a lot of random "view jumping about".

I'm [G]Will.

C

.Cask

In case you haven't noticed....

You haven't noticed that (a)...

I noticed both those things. But up until recently I haven't seen the destroyer being used all that effectively. The topic of this post shows the possibilities that people are considering for artillery (drools over the units in the full game) so with organised scouts spotting for the destroyer I think we can expect it to become more and more destructive.

Setting up a real defense in this game just isn't possible, although voice comms and pre-arranged strategies would go some way to improving that situation. As one flag goes neutral the allied team rushes to that place leaving more openings for a lone landing craft soldier to sneak in. Course I'm just talking about the demo map, but don't have anything else to compare it to yet :(

Back to the APC/half-tracks, powerful definately isn't the word I'd use to describe them. Occasionally I have used them to prolong my life. or score a kill by stalking a non-engineer/bazooka and popping up into the machine gun as soon as he turns his back. But other then that they're just for getting from A to B, and as soon as I see an enemy I'm gonna jump out.

Grenades make bazooka infantry a little bit too undesirable imo. You have the choice of being fully effective against infantry and semi-effective against vehicles, or semi-effective against vehicles and useless against infantry. Be nice to see a few more bazooka folks around, but it's no fun getting toasted every time you see a guy on foot.

1tchy trigger

Originally posted by camazotz

Maybe, but I'd consider Jeep skill more if the titanium bulletproof windshield wasn't so unrealistic, letting an entire clip into the face of the driver trying to ram you should ensure at least one hit, but that magic glass seems to stop them all without even as much as a dent.

Its really isn't that difficult to kill jeep drivers, the windscreen doesn't offer them that much protection in my experience - there's nothing quite like holding your ground while he drives towards you - a quick burst of gunfire and his body slumps over the wheel and the jeep rolls to a standstill not inches from you. What a rush!

W

Will

I do play the bazooka guy occasionally. The best advice I can give is hide a lot, and only pop your head out when you hear a vehicle or when you have support.

S

Summo

Setting up a real defense in this game just isn't possible, although voice comms and pre-arranged strategies would go some way to improving that situation. As one flag goes neutral the allied team rushes to that place leaving more openings for a lone landing craft soldier to sneak in. Course I'm just talking about the demo map, but don't have anything else to compare it to yet :(
Some of the best games I've played as Allies is where people don't panic and go charging off to every grey flag on the map. Hold your position and guard it well. Keep your eye on the map and if a base near you needs reinforcements then so be it. Go and help, then return. We've kept the Axis at bay for the entire game.

This reads like a handbook now, so apologies for that. :/

X

xane

Originally posted by Itcheh
I gave directed fire a good go last night, by marking the target myself and then getting in a shore gun. I just couldn't get the hang of it, there seemed to be a lot of random "view jumping about".

Aside from some Scouts who keep selecting targets midway through, the "scout view" is hard to use at first because your initial targetting shots are so way out you don't see them impact, eventually you realise this and can judge better.

A good example is if the "scout view" is facing the destroyer, if you aim too low the shot hits the beach or cliffs but you dont see this from the "scout view", it just suddenly jumps back on target.

K

killermarc

Be nice to see a few more bazooka folks around, but it's no fun getting toasted every time you see a guy on foot.

Well this just shows how its a team game and not a deathmatch everyman for himself quake jobby :D

ppl need to move around in groups, ie a couple of boozka men supported by 3-4 assualt troops.

Tanks supported by infantry, infantry supported by tanks.

APC for rearming, medical supplies and a mobile assualt force.

Artillery, both ship, coastal and mobile supported by the forward scout, so that the artillery can stay back out of fire and rain death from afar.

Engineers, setting base defences, moving with the vehicles to provide repairs

Medics moving with the infantry to provide the health.

Planes for getting to places quickly and raining death from above

the list goes on....... can't play this game effectively on your own now can you :D there will always be another class/vehicle that can kill you, so work together to overcome all situations :D quality game no complaints from me.

as with most games public play will never be good as organised clan play, but at least this game does have enjoyment for the lone guy even if it means your not able to kill everything on your own

S

Scooba Da Bass

What you need to consider is the difference between publics and private games. Much the same as in any team based game, the standard of play teamwise is much less than in matches. Rest assured people will have assigned roles in matches.

C

.Cask

What you need to consider is the difference between publics and private games.

although voice comms and pre-arranged strategies would go some way to improving that situation.

I mentioned that indirectly :)

S

Scooba Da Bass

heh *slaps Cask*

I'll get a RW server up soonest

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom