Increasing brightness ingame through a program....

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone know one?

As i've qq'ed about before, i'm on a small monitor for the moment. I can't play my bard well because i can't see the enemy at night time. What i want, is a program or command or whatever that increases the brightness on the computer.

Ty in advance.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Use of any such 3rd party program would be illegal in daoc, so forget about that. But you can use your monitors built in control, maybe the driver of your VGA, etc :)

Blackstuff

Fledgling Freddie
You are looking for powerstrip. It's free download. Google for it.

Fixed my problems on previous monitor and it has in-game changes so u can hotkey the gamma up or down without alt-tabbing etc.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Afaik, it isn't illegal.

GM to confirm?

edit- much thanks blackstuff.

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
I had the same problem with more than just DAoC. (Try and play Doom3 on a dark monitor.. :p) I went and upped the brightness setting of my videocard under the NVIDIA settings. Solved all my brightness-related problems. :)

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Bugz said:
Afaik, it isn't illegal.

GM to confirm?

edit- much thanks blackstuff.
afaik: Any third party program that makes it easier to play or target enemies are illegal. When at night / rain noone can target you and you can target them because you have advantages from a 3rd party program, that is an unfair advantage you gain from a 3rd party tool. Any 3rd party tools that provide a tactical advantage in rvr fights are illegal.

If you chain kill others who can't see you at night / rain / etc. because you use a 3rd party program that makes them visible, and use earlier detection of enemies to your advantage, that is essentially the same scenario as a radar cheat.

You see something you shouldn't see, use 3rd party tool for it, and gain an unfair advantage.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
hrm essel - so using the brightness control on my monitor is against the rules now? (hardware haxx0ring!)

if you had a program the painted enemies dayglo neon green that'd be against the rules.

However, using your graphics card drivers or something like powerstrip to change your monitor brightness is perfectly fine.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Monitor controls, graphics card drivers: Normal program you have to control your hardware. Any extra tweak that makes additional people visible and you use it to gain this advantage in daoc is cheating. Why?

You install monitor driver, adjust monitor settings for normal stuff nothing that is directly daoc related.

Now you add an extra control, that assigns a profile to daoc, and adjust the settings for fog, gamma, etc. to make it easier for you to target enemies. You use something to make it easier for you to fight. Something that makes the game easier for you than it is for others in PVP fight.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Power strip is not an illegal third party program. I interfaces with your graphics/monitor drivers and not the game directly. You have a 'DAoC profile' but ths is just a set of preferences in the same way as some video cards have different selectable profiles.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Whilst on this topic, is there any way of increasing the brightness for the DAoC only? Yes, I use powerstrip, however its highly annoying having to set the entire screen to higher brightness just because its gone dark ingame.

It's rather disappointing that DAoC has no brightness settings whatsoever.

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:
hrm essel - so using the brightness control on my monitor is against the rules now? (hardware haxx0ring!)

if you had a program the painted enemies dayglo neon green that'd be against the rules.

However, using your graphics card drivers or something like powerstrip to change your monitor brightness is perfectly fine.
found a picture of you

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
if you happen to pick the right wrong graphics driver it can be an massive boost in some cases though. A friend of mine, who i play Planetside with, has an old set of drivers for his video card and for some reason cloakers and AMS shields, instead of being invisible until hit/disturbed, they acutally glow a really spooky blue/white colour.

he's no haxxor, but its just one of them things that was discovered by accident, isn't an exploit, and is a bit wierd - its not like you can be banned for NOT keeping your drivers up to date *shrugs*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom