incompetent solicitors

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
to cut a long story short weve been trying to sell our house for the last year and 3 months or so. weve done everything we have to regarding sorting out the lease agreements and all that business.

but one of the solicitors is an utter fucking retard. hes holiding it all up probably down to the fact that he needs to use the time to shoovel more delicious treats into his massive fat ass.

bar fire bombing his office, is there any other action we can take against him?

edit: ok just spoke to my mother again to see what the exact issue is. now maybe some of my terminology will be off as i dont know anything of land law and all that shite. so bare with me -

weve had our lease registerd with the land registry office. does this make sense?
the other block of flats around us is being sold also. the buyer of the flat does not like the wording of the lease variation (?). although the lease was registerd with the registry office for our land and also for someone elses plot of land. if i heard right the lease is for 999 yrs.

so because this guy who has nothing to do with us, doesnt like the wording of someone elses lease one of the solicitors will not do what he needs to do. although the land registry already approved it. id asume they know how a lease should be worded.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
You mean.. there are competent solicitors?

One thing i've learned about purchasing property, that solicitors get their money far too easily, and they're not very good at what they do to get that money either. The volume of chasing i had to do was a disgrace.

No wonder there are jokes written about 'em.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
tris- said:
... id asume they know how a lease should be worded.

That would be a very naive assumption. The Lease on the first flat I owned in London had been through half a dozen owners before we noticed when we were buying it that the lease gave right of access to our own front door to all the flats above us, but not to us :rolleyes:. Lawyers are lazy and the Land registry is run by chartered surveyors not good enough to get a job in the private sector, so expect everything to be fucked up to nth-degree as a matter of course.

Have you found out what the other guy's specific objection is? Because it might be an access problem like the one I described above, in which case its a quick deed of variation to change it (really it should be a change to the plans but that's slower and more expensive).

tris-

the lease was fucked up because one of the solicitors was a retard and his law degree obviously didnt supply him the ability to write it correctly. the land registry rejected it.

so we gave it to another solictor who just reworded because they were sick of the shit that was going on aswell. all it was for was to extend it to a 999 yr lease, what ever that means.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
tris- said:
the lease was fucked up because one of the solicitors was a retard and his law degree obviously didnt supply him the ability to write it correctly. the land registry rejected it.

so we gave it to another solictor who just reworded because they were sick of the shit that was going on aswell. all it was for was to extend it to a 999 yr lease, what ever that means.

It means you dont have ownership of the land and the entire building but you do have the right to live in it for the next 999 years

Tilda

Talk to the solicitor about whats going on first. Try and establish what he needs to do, why he hasn't done it, and what needs to change before he can do it.

If that fails, talk to his managing partner (perhaps tell him you're considering doing this in 1), explain you're dissatisfied and want it sorted. He can either get someone else to do it, or offer discounts etc.

If you really arn't happy and the firm won't give you the time of day, make a complaint to the Law Society.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
When we had the paperwork done before we moved into our current place they did a shite job.

Forms that were supposed to be "delete where applicable" still have things like "The property does/does not have a chimney" etc.

tris-

just got some more info on this particular idiot.

he put the lease through for someone else as he was handling the sale. now for us he is not handling the sale. he is just sorting the lease out for one of our other solictors and hes holding it up because he says its not right. its the exact same lease so hes really talking shit and cba to do anything by the sounds of it.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Big G said:
You mean.. there are competent solicitors?

One thing i've learned about purchasing property, that solicitors get their money far too easily, and they're not very good at what they do to get that money either. The volume of chasing i had to do was a disgrace.

No wonder there are jokes written about 'em.

lol I was going to say almost the same thing. the amount of grief my parents have had with solicitors when building our houses was almost comical, one had a mental breakdown half way through a deal and ran off never to be seen again :x the rest are just as bad, only recently we had a phone call saying they cant seem to find some document or other and did we happen to have it etc...

I cant believe they get away with it alot of the time :touch:

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
When we bought our current house our solicitor, unknown to us, had asked the seller to prove that her husband was really dead! It didn't make for a very friendly atmosphere when we went round to sort out the fixtures and fittings details... the old dear thought we had put him up to it.

When the mortgage money was paid to the solicitors account, he rang me to tell me so, then informed me that it was actually 10 pence short of what it should be. "Hardly worth mentioning" he said (but it didn't stop him mentioning it in a follow up letter that cost £25... git).

Strange profession.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom