important

R

reubs

I'd like to put this into perspective...

We're asking for you help in testing some new stuff here at BarrysWorld. You've all enjoyed playing EF on our servers for a while, which we're glad about, now we're asking for your help.

The extent of this help is:

Next week you download BarryLogon, a system tray application which you configure to log you on automatically to our network. You can even configure it to start and autologon on windows startup, so it'll take 10 mins to setup and nothing else going forward. 10 mins....

You can then continue to play on the EF servers FOR FREE.

If you want to feedback with any suggestions / experiences following that we're going to track them on the Tech Trial forum and we'd be grateful for the info.

thats it.... from the level of bitterness from certain individuals you'd think we'd done something far more orwellian and drastic.

I'd agree with comments that we could have informed the public admins prior to the announcement, we did let the liaison Starman know, but informing the public admins slipped through the net, sorry about that, I'm hoping they can overcome their injured pride and continue to be involved, but, we'll see I guess.

Finally, this is a tech trial of technology we'd like to use to secure game servers when we move to subs. That's the facts, nothing more, nothing less. We don't know whether it'll work, whether it'll partially work and need redevelopment, etc. Which is one reason we are a little way off subs yet and have no idea of the form or price subs might take.

So rather than having a heated debate at this point, why don't we wait until we have some firm facts to discuss, and argue the merits of the details then?

In the meantime, if some of you don't mind helping us out, we'd much appreciate it.

thanks

S

Starman

Admittedly yes I should of forwarded the mail I received on, but I've been busy this week and just slipped my mind. Sorry about that :(

T

Tempy_Incursion

It's a damn shame that the EF community has been in decline for a while with so many other competing games and I hope this new p2p scheme doesn't destroy it completely. :(

O

old.Rabbit

"It’s not just designed to get people logging onto the site ", BW states in the forum, "not just?" If you do want people to log onto your site I'ld suggest keeping the service free and include the "big" games like c/s, rtcw. If the service is free people WILL register, as they do many times on the internet. And you wouldn't want to keep the handy tools locked for the most popular games would you? ;)

I have always been very pleased with BW's interest in EF, as it would have died long ago without it. And I'm sure the Quakeworld and other communities think the same. Personaly I hope that (if the service is not free) you'll be looking to see if it's not easier to obtain more resources out of the bigger, newer games.
Easier because it's played by more "potential customers", so fees could be much lower. And it wouldn't likely kill a gamingcommunity .
This however will only work if the BW servers will be as best as they can be. (as they usualy are for me)

Rabbit

"At your service"

D

[DAD]Monty73

The competitors come to the rescue! Have you noticed Jolt co uk now have 3 EF servers up for the 1st time?

:rolleyes:

S

Starman

well maybe not for much longer, jolt are going titsup

W

widdy

lol good old jolt,I only use their servers for playing RTCW and always wondered why they never had EF servers.....................good news anyway :)

O

old.Porkeh

Jolt have gone tits up?? blimey i best look for another job then

W

widdy

lol i think BW has just given their players to jolt.damn i saw a server this afternoon with 15 players on it and a ping of 187...................lol jesus it shows 300 on my GS for BW with 14.

ooooooops

D

[DAD]Monty73

I use the Jolt servers for MOH and my ping is always better there. And I have never got the SlowServer sign like I get when on BW (even with only 2 people lol)

O

old.[CLF]Stevo

LMAO!!!

Well cheers Jolt for helping the community in a time of need.

(oh and could u start a EF forum so i can spam there :D)

O

old.MAS_Iceslim

Reubs

Thankyou for your post

You posted an explanation and a strategy of what you were trying to do, and you explained about admin posts etc.

Thankyou,with a post like that we will always try to help,if we understand...but never when moderators etc just attack

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Porkeh
Its horses for courses i think, if you want a quality service with no 12 year old idiots then pick jolt , if you want p2p with 12 year old idiots then pick BW, simple really

Rubbish, when a P2P system comes in to effect most the 12 year olds will fill the Jolt servers :clap:

C

[CLF]picard17

errr.... i think you missed the whole meaning of his post there, read it again.:D

E

Embattle

No I didn't actually most 12 year olds won't be able to afford, or claim, the monthly fee so while it may be horses for courses the fact remains the free service will end up filled with young pups.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Embattle
No I didn't actually most 12 year olds won't be able to afford, or claim, the monthly fee so while it may be horses for courses the fact remains the free service will end up filled with young pups.

Not that I mind in any way ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom