IMPORTANT INFO FOR BARRYSWORLD.COM EMAIL USERS!

throdgrain

FH is my second home
And have auth'd with the old barrysworld.com email address.
I and some others have been unable to auth with q lately, getting this message -

-Q- Your Q account is suspended.
-Q- Reason: Your Q account has been suspended due to a security issue with your email account.

Its apparently because of the new domain started by whoever it was nicked the old barrysworld address.

If anyone knows anything about it please post :) Last I heard ircops were "looking into it" .

TarX

Loyal Freddie
Yea, got same problem sucks. :(
Any info would be great. ;)

Ferg

Fledgling Freddie
seriously, youve got to wait for some coders to get off their arses and code something to change your account email address and unsuspend the account, through a web page (hopefully...)

Athena

Fledgling Freddie
It was apparently a 'security' issue.

My understanding of it was the individual who has control of the BarrysWorld domain also control’s *@barrysworld.com emails. See THIS thread please!

This means he’s capable of obtaining user’s Q passwords.

I was a little confused since I didn’t think the *@barrysworld.com e-mails were active any longer.

But I hope that’s been of some help.

What to do next?

Speak to an OPER. It's pretty simple to resolve, just need to change e-mail and Q password.

kosh

Loyal Freddie
yea what athie said

its a security issue plain and simple :m00:

Kryten

Old Cow.
I've been asked to add a little background information. so here goes.

Basically, with the domain owned by someone else, if you still have your email client set up to connect to the "barrysworld" mail server, you are basically giving someone your password. A password you may use for other things. Incidentally, its wise to NOT use the same password for all your things (emails, ISP, game accounts, credit card, online banking and what not)

On Quakenet as you know, the accounts set up on @barrysworld.com addresses were suspended in order to ensure people don't use the "request password" feature to basically send their Quakenet username/password to the new owner of the BW domain. This could apply to any other IRC server also.

Basically, ensure you have another email provider. Ensure you have removed your Barrysworld accounts from your email clients. Other free accounts are provided from people like Hotmail, otherwise your ISP should also provide this service.

I hope this information is useful and gives a little more insight and reason as to why Quakenet have done this, and for you to make sure you are secured properly.

Regards

Kryt @ Quakenet #Help
#Freddyshouse

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Quakenet could have dealt with it a little better on Saturday night though..

They mass killed hundreds of users, telling them their Q account was now suspended. There was no message in the kill message stating that this was for a valid reason, or how to rectify the problem. Would it have been so hard to include the webby address for people? :/

Athena

Fledgling Freddie
I have to agree with you there Swift.
I don’t think there had been any preparation. I was advised it had been a 'sporadic decision'.
It would have been appreciated if QNet had given users fair warning or at least advised users on a course of action.

Ferg

Fledgling Freddie
I agree that the reason couldve been constructed better, i already mentioned that to the person who set the suspensions but i couldnt until after he had done it.

The person in question also realised he shouldve used the "-nokill" flag as he watched 330 people /killed :)

Anyway... as long as we learn from this there was no harm done really.

Ferg
(QuakeNet oper...)

Athena

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks Ferg :)

I can actually see the humor in 300+ users getting the boot like that tho :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom