Import costs from US? [Amazon]

Gray

FH is my second home
I can't think if i've ever actually done this before, but i can see there is some items on Amazon.com that are much cheaper than the Amazon Europe websites. I am budgetting myself up for a new computer, and due to the value of the items the "eligable" items i can order state it is free to ship to the UK.

This would save me a bucket load overall, however in the back of my mind i am thinking that there might be additional charges which Amazon.com aren't mentioning, would there be a big charge involved if i go down this route making it financially not viable?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I can't think if i've ever actually done this before, but i can see there is some items on Amazon.com that are much cheaper than the Amazon Europe websites. I am budgetting myself up for a new computer, and due to the value of the items the "eligable" items i can order state it is free to ship to the UK.

This would save me a bucket load overall, however in the back of my mind i am thinking that there might be additional charges which Amazon.com aren't mentioning, would there be a big charge involved if i go down this route making it financially not viable?
Donno if it still applies but amazon didnt used to allow you to buy from .com site for ship to uk. You had to find a friend in america then get them to send it over. But if customs catch you and its over 18 quid or so then its 17.5% on top i think. So the vat.

Ithink the us prices dont include sales tax u til checkout cause each state has different levels

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
It tells you right there when you order if they do allow that shipment.

But my answer is pointless because you won't read it, listen or even acknowledge it just like every other bloody thing I answer for you.

Gray

FH is my second home
Hm, interesting you point this out, for curiosity i went to make a mock order.

upload_2015-9-10_20-32-14.png

Fuck. That. haha. Conning funts (Import taxes that is!)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah it's (obviously) outside the EU so you have to pay tax on stuff you import. I bought a load of printer ink a few years back because it worked out much less than the GBP price but the UPS guy wouldn't give it to me until I'd paid him for the customs. Also some stuff that was only available from America (Really Right Stuff bits for photography types who know what they make/sell) and I got absolutely bent over when the taxes were added on.

Long story short, it's never worth it. Maybe try and buy from amazon.fr or amazon.de because it might well work out cheaper if you're paying in GBP (it's often cheaper for me to buy on amazon.fr and pay with an English card than it is to buy it from amazon.co.uk).

Gray

FH is my second home
It tells you right there when you order if they do allow that shipment.

But my answer is pointless because you won't read it, listen or even acknowledge it just like every other bloody thing I answer for you.

Eeek, i can only imagine this is from the Kodi questioning. My bad indeed. I sparsely check the Tech forums now and again, completely slipped my mind to check anything in regards to that. Worry not my Stokie i still love you!

I have also looked at Amazon Europe websites after finding Curiura which checks the values of all the items listed on various Amazon Europe sites, although it says UK still comes out fairly competitive.

I'm not in a great deal of hurry at the moment mind, i have just been pricing up a suitable computer but it was more to purchase towards November/December when hopefully the prices come down slightly.

Embattle

FH is my second home
What I've bought from the US in the past is normally small like the odd blu-ray, larger stuff will generally always get hit by tax.

Trem

Use www.curiua.com to search all eu Amazon sites for your item to see if its cheaper elsewhere without the duty.

Trem

Eeek, i can only imagine this is from the Kodi questioning. My bad indeed. I sparsely check the Tech forums now and again, completely slipped my mind to check anything in regards to that. Worry not my Stokie i still love you!

I have also looked at Amazon Europe websites after finding Curiura which checks the values of all the items listed on various Amazon Europe sites, although it says UK still comes out fairly competitive.

I'm not in a great deal of hurry at the moment mind, i have just been pricing up a suitable computer but it was more to purchase towards November/December when hopefully the prices come down slightly.
I said the same thing in the Kodi thread, go look :D

soze

I am a FH squatter
Amazon charge you upfront which saves you money. If they did not do that the courier here would sting you for that plus the duty on the shipping plus a nice admin fee. I once had to pay £35 to get a $20 game because the cunts hit me with a £31 admin fee. Not sure if they can still do that.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Amazon charge you upfront which saves you money. If they did not do that the courier here would sting you for that plus the duty on the shipping plus a nice admin fee. I once had to pay £35 to get a $20 game because the cunts hit me with a £31 admin fee. Not sure if they can still do that.
I had to buy a wow usa game and got hit for shippig tax and all cost me more than the game pfft

soze

I am a FH squatter
I had to buy a wow usa game and got hit for shippig tax and all cost me more than the game pfft
I was trying to remember who I got the game from and I think it might have been wow usa as well.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Hey Gray what happened with that whole brother thing a while back?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I would imagine anywhere in the Eurozone would give you a saving if you're using your Engleesh Pounds at the moment. I know I'm certainly not buying anything from Amazon UK at the moment (apart from Kindle books because I'm kind of stuck with that).

Gray

FH is my second home
Hey Gray what happened with that whole brother thing a while back?
You mean the nephew who was living here?
Yeah that's over now, he left a year or two ago whenever it was. His mum ended up with custody of him and his other brother/sisters in the end, after that they moved towns again. Haven't spoken to him in several months, all but long forgotten now.

I noticed that Italy seems to be cheaper from Amazon perspective, i'm making a saving on mostly all components of about £50-60 so that's a saving i can be happy with. Although i'm going to go Manchester Computer Fair tomorrow, i hear you can get some bargains so i'll price things up and see if they're competatively priced which i imagine they will be.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
You mean the nephew who was living here?
Yeah that's over now, he left a year or two ago whenever it was. His mum ended up with custody of him and his other brother/sisters in the end, after that they moved towns again. Haven't spoken to him in several months, all but long forgotten now.

I noticed that Italy seems to be cheaper from Amazon perspective, i'm making a saving on mostly all components of about £50-60 so that's a saving i can be happy with. Although i'm going to go Manchester Computer Fair tomorrow, i hear you can get some bargains so i'll price things up and see if they're competatively priced which i imagine they will be.
We have a computer fair here. Only trouble is if youget stuff home and it dont work its hard send ing stuff back as they have no shop like.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Hm, interesting you point this out, for curiosity i went to make a mock order.

View attachment 27301

Fuck. That. haha. Conning funts (Import taxes that is!)

That is a fucking ripoff. PLUS, if you ordered from Sweden, you'd get a separate invoice for extra import fee if im not completely wrong.

Gray

FH is my second home
Went to the Manchester fair today, last time i went about 10 years ago, hundreds of stalls back then, virtually a warehouse full for the aptly named "largest computer fair in the UK".

Today, £2 entry, 3 stalls for computer parts. What a load of fucking tosh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom