Implications of ToA on EU DAOC Community

Novo

Fledgling Freddie
Hey Guys and Gals

Got a few thoughts and questions...

I have been thinking about the ammount of time and effort ToA is going to require from people wanting to get MLs, and the implications to those who just plain and simply dont have the time to play ToA...

2 years ago when i started playing daoc, life was simple, the game was fun i played long and hard, lvld reasonably fast, got killed in rvr, killed a few, teh zerg was out and that was that, once you hit 50 you played on par with everyone else the only diffrence was the ammount of + you had from RRs.

With the addition of RAs, SCing, and now ML and Artifacts, the gap between people with loads of time to play the game and people who have other commitments grows and grows... now this isnt a whine... im not botherd by the fact that people who put more effort and time into the game get bonuses and extra abilities.

My worry is that with ToA and everything that comes along with it, this gap will grow even greater, making people, like me, who dont really have the time to get many MLs and Artifacts completly useless in RvR... henceforth taking all the fun out the game for me and others like me.

Now i have played daoc far to long and would probably welcome a break from the game...

But do you think my predictions are true? Will people without the time be left behind to underperform in RvR and the sort? or am i worrying about nothing?

Thoughts?

Novo

Squalion

Fledgling Freddie
agree with you here tbh.

the only reason i am renewing is so i dont fall too far behind everyone else, i will problly get toa, get the stuff i need, level it and stop playing for a while again.

all the hardcore players (ppl with no jobs (j/k ;)), school kids etc) will be able to get the things they want fast, and usally with groups. making it easier for them.

while the people who dont have much time on DAoC, will be left way behind. making them obsolete (sp?)

if you dont have ML's / Artefacts, and you go RvR, your basicly gonna get raped sideways. then you have 3 options, only go PVE, go get the ML's/Artefacts, and do go to work for a month or something, and last option is to /quit

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
It shouldn't be that hard to do well in ToA or even get reasonable items. With a good group (and by that I don't mean a fotm optimised style PvE gank-group) or a couple of friends helping you, you can do up to and including ML2 in a couple of hours.

Artefacts are going to be the big time-sinks, and even then they don't have to be as bad as people make them out to be. It depends on how you value your time vs your money. With a good group you can do an encounter to get one of the artefacts, then take that group to DF and farm enough cash to get the scrolls for it (most will be on sale on CMs within a couple of weeks), or you can farm for the scrolls yourself - maybe powerlevel a friend while you're doing it, or just get a couple of guildies together and piss about.

Everybody knows that daoc is an investment, and people who don't spend much time in game won't be as good as those who do, its logical.

The trick is to be open minded - don't see ToA as something boring you have to do, but as something you want to do. Help a friend get an alt through those tough levels, explore a bit - kill a mob thats never been killed on your server before - its what the game's all about.

Oh yeah, quick edit - DAoC doesn't have to be a timesink if you apply yourself - myself and my boyfriend both work in full time jobs getting home about 7pm, and we still have time to RvR, PvE, do quests, do guild events etc as well as run a large guild. Believe it or not we have a social life as well :eek7:

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
I don't think that TOA will have the effect on RvR that many people think (and some fear). Sure some people will have things others don't but even if you don't have the time to get ML and artifacts you can still bet you'll have fun in RvR.

There will be a gulf, but there has been since the start of the game - those with and those without buffbots, those with 100% fully overcharged items and those without any SC and still using epics (yes there are some of us around - and I'm a LGM SC!). It's just how you see it, I don't think items make you good or bad at RvR they just help even out a shit play with a good one and making that good play excellent.

Always be plenty of crap players around to kill :)

Novo

Fledgling Freddie
Naetha said:
Believe it or not we have a social life as well :eek7:

I dont believe you :p would be nice but my girlfriend would never play daoc and im far to in love with her.. so if its her or stay in.. its always see her... so never have free time at a computer :p so really its all my own fault but hey :p

Always be plenty of crap players around to kill

True, but who do the crap players kill? bandts i suppose :)

rivan

Fledgling Freddie
I'm getting my last high toons to 50, then selling up. TOA is the end for me. If I play another rpg type jobby, i might see you there. WOW maybe?

/salute

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Kami said:
I don't think that TOA will have the effect on RvR that many people think (and some fear).

http://vnboards.ign.com/Nimue_(RP)/b21883/62088754/p1

Novo

Fledgling Freddie
oooer thats not to good :p

hopefully it is exagerated

Aeis

Loyal Freddie
When a game comes to being more about who got most time to farm items rather than actual tactic and skill, it is time to quit....

Why support a company who only make the game worse the more they do?

DAoC was as best before realm abilities after that Mythic started to destroy it more and more. And now TOA pretty much make people quit and keep old players from coming back as they can't be bothered to first spend 10 days /played on doing the ML's and then spend 5 days /played on lvling artifacts.

A game should be about having as much fun as possible, not about getting the feeling that you have to work more time than you actually have fun.

Novo

Fledgling Freddie
A game should be about having as much fun as possible, not about getting the feeling that you have to work more time than you actually have fun.

amen brother :)

Gorguss

Loyal Freddie
Seems like it's time to move to another game ;)
Have'nt visited the fields of DAoC in a seemingly eternity but I left for the same reasons Novo just mentioned. It's just not enough time to go around for the ones enslaved by their temptress :p'

Btw, did'nt know you were still in Novo.
Nice to see some old guys still around!

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
I don't think ToA ML Trails will be such a timesink in Europe. Mainly because we - unlike the americans - will have a nice load of walkthroughs made up by said americans so we don't have to do any thinking at all (though preferably i'd rather think about them ;) )

Dalby

Fledgling Freddie
I think im gonna stay in DAoC until WoW comes out, and try and lvl a artifact if anybody wanna join my infl that is :cheers: Might aswell give it a go now that they have spent so much time developing it for us :eek6:

Remember. Its all designed so we can have abit of fun :fluffle:

Aeis

Loyal Freddie
Read somewhere it took the elite players, those with 12+ hours a day, 4 months (probably a little exagerated) to get ML 10.
Imagine how long it will take for a normal player...

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Tbh its not the immediate impact that worries me, in a few months the hardcore players would have got their items maxed, people like me wont have a chance.

Nichneven

Fledgling Freddie
Novo said:
I dont believe you :p would be nice but my girlfriend would never play daoc and im far to in love with her.. so if its her or stay in.. its always see her... so never have free time at a computer :p so really its all my own fault but hey :p

Hehe it used to be the other way around with me.. my husband quit Daoc months ago but he's finally come back :fluffle:

I don't really know what to think yet about ToA. Mythic makes it sound like getting the artifacts will be primarily a group effort... which is so refreshing to me tbh. I only hope it's not a lie :p

Regarding the time investment, I hate to say it but I think that many people who just occassionally play will be at a huge disadvantage and will really feel left out of the mainstream RVR wise if nothing else. But if you're interested in social aspects of the game and story more than just reaching the 'goals' you should be fine. Just don't set your expectations too high and you won't be fed up and depressed as a result of something much more important to your future... aka real life :p The lengths some people go to be the best makes it much more than just a game of course... but that doesn't mean you have to force yourself to follow suit. Just do what you enjoy :clap:

Ethiraseth

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
Tbh its not the immediate impact that worries me, in a few months the hardcore players would have got their items maxed, people like me wont have a chance.

thats including figuring out al the ML quests and all the bugged encounters which took time to be fixed. With all the guides from the US i wont be surprised if some guilds will have ML10 chars within a month.

Glendower

Fledgling Freddie
They just handed down some pretty fat nerfs to the TOA gear in the US...go check it out on the Herald.

One of the reasons they mention is that very thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom