If you could relaunch/remake/fix any MMO...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
...what would it be?

What was the best MMO atmosphere wise to you? Not necessaarily the best game, but the most giggidy(etc) feeling you got before the bugs etc got to you?

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
If anyone on this forums says something else but DAoC he or she lies!!

everyone is so addicted to the game that even 7 years after the game went downhill, people still play it or troll this forum!

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
DAoC for me, obviously.

Age of Conan also was promising at first. Incredible graphics and new innovative combat system mixed with fun classes, shame the game was nearly unplayable at launch.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
For me it would be pre-ren UO.

DAoC was good, but stopped being awesome after TOA+NF.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
SW:tor I suppose with proper working pvp it wouldve been good.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
For me it would be pre-ren UO.

DAoC was good, but stopped being awesome after TOA+NF.

... which is odd, isn't it, because TOA added new content. NEW CONTENT! There was none for ages (and everybody is happy with the level cap and endgame and everything) and then a big expansion pack that everybody hates with RAIDS! ACE! Right? It must be ace otherwise every other game since wouldn't have copied it.

What's that? Expansion packs aren't a good idea? Well... that's News. Old but News. Confused.

Okay, maybe I'm being a bit harsh on the idea of expansion packs. At heart they have the right intention: make the game more interesting, give it a boost, make it more fun. On the downside they give the player revelatory expectations, as though this pack will revolutionise their game.

While I sort of liked the way DAoC went with the shrouded isles, I didn't like how:
1) the old world was still pretty much dead. Why add more land to spread the population even more? An so MUCH more land. It was way too big.
and
2) the new races and classes were iffy at best. I wasn't a fan of either, though I understand some people went nuts over them.

The frontiers were a great idea and while I liked the new destroyable walls, boiling oil and upgradable keeps, I think I would have liked to see more done with the ownership concept.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
DAOC hands down. With proper devs that knew the game and what the players wanted, it would have been great. It a grubby shadow of what it could have been. TOA wasn't to blame (It could have been a little more accessible I suppose)

Idiotic class balance that lasted years and power levelling killed it.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
DAoC is a close 2nd (pre TOA), but the best memories are still of UO

But I was still "young" back then. I don't think any MMO can recapture those feelings....

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
DAOC hands down. With proper devs that knew the game and what the players wanted, it would have been great. It a grubby shadow of what it could have been. TOA wasn't to blame (It could have been a little more accessible I suppose)

The fact that there was idiotic class imbalance that lasted for years is undeniable, but I'm not convinced that this killed daoc. I think it was probably a combination of factors, including the buffbot necessity, extreme pro-ganksquads, and alternative games coming out (which were usually quite crap, particularly in regards to RvR - I'm gobsmacked that it didn't become a MMO staple).

Aada

Part of the furniture
Ultima Online, no game has had a deeper skill system and other mechanics which made it so great.

Animal Tamer, the ability to tame dragons and kill people with them was a delight that will stay with me forever.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture

TOA did kill it or started to kill it as you could not compete against people with artifacts. DAOC was built round RVR and they killed it by making players farm artifacts then making them leveling em up.

Best time for DAOC was just after Darkness Falls was released. That was fun.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
TOA did kill it or started to kill it as you could not compete against people with artifacts. DAOC was built round RVR and they killed it by making players farm artifacts then making them leveling em up.

Ahh yes, now I remember. You know, I reckon that if they did that in a modern MMO, people would just do the raids - they're taken for granted as part of the MMO deal these days.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Easy, Auto Assault. Best MMO concept ever and NCSoft screwed up by demanding a rushed release at any cost....

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Close one, DAOC or Wish.

DAoC because I spent some much time there and meet so many people from all walks of life.
Wish was a failed game I beta tested a few years back, had some many things that could of changed MMO's forever. Mob den spawns that once killed were gone for good. Capture you own mount/Pack Mules/Donkeys in the wild. Realy wish it had made it out of beta.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
DAOC -

would get rid of the heal proc trend aka Dark Age of Procalot
get rid of ML's
keep CL's but remove the HP increase
nerf some casters and other classes to the ground
put a lower cap on battlegroups to thin the zergs out a bit or add some sort of penalty that gives a -% RP for however many enemies are in a specific radius
stop archers from forming groups bigger than 3-4
turn agramon into a dedicated FG vs FG area + add restrictions to stop battlegroups, scouts and sneaks going in to the zone or people without a full group
make pve less boring, no retarded bosses that need 2+groups to kill
increase rp gain BUT add additional realm ranks right up to RR20-25

and

Warhammer - has huge potential if made right, can't be bothered to list changes there would be fucking pages of them

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
Ultima Online, no game has had a deeper skill system and other mechanics which made it so great.

Animal Tamer, the ability to tame dragons and kill people with them was a delight that will stay with me forever.
Garriott's "treatise" here is quite interesting. He desperately wants to work on Ultima again, but he's going to make something a non-Ultima RPG along the same lines (for now) because he doesn't own the franchise: http://www.portalarium.com/index.php/ultimate-rpg?id=93

Pertan

Can't get enough of FH
Warhammer -> it was a huge disappointment and it could have been really nice but they chickened and made a wow-clone. Also it was kind of buggy and badly balanced.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I would persnally go with champions online, or DC:U(most likely DC:U due to joker and lot). Might be that it's simply the character creation tools, but those were really cool and personal to play.

So might be that if you took it and plomped it on DAoC, it might reach the same height of personality and immersion.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
DCU wouldnt have been so bad if the end game wasnt so dry, no idea what they've done to the end game now since its gone FTP I assume its still shit tho.

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
DAOC for me - still playing after all these years!!!! - i loved TOA - thought it brought a lot to the game (yes i know it made it tooo tooo big!)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
DAoC of course and then warhammer i had absurd amounts of fun playing Warhammer and then it just fizzled out as people quit - the "group" quests areas were pretty cool and the low level pvp zones entertaining

I remember being very excited about Shadowbane but then that got canned, the idea of guildsbuilding cities and such intrigued me (it seems to work pretty well for Eve)

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Obviously DAoC, which I still play from time to time even 10 years after it released.

Then Anarchy Online, never really got into it after the horrible launch of that game. There are just too few quality non-fantasy MMOs out there.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Heh Anarchy Online, I loved that game, but my friends refused to play it as they hated it :(

Honestly one of my favorite MMOs (behind UO+DAoC), got heavily into pvp on the Trader, but an example of a great game made by a shit company, which kinda rings true for DAoC too :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom