If you could make a dungeon for Catacombs, what would it be?

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
For me, it would be an Ice Strider hive.

Back looooong time ago when I played Mid, I started a story thread on the New Era webby. Part of it required me to think up a bit more background for Ice Striders. These have remained my favourite beastie in the entire game.

The first time I saw Tuscaran Glacier, I after I'd stopped Oooh'ing and Ahhh'ing I thought "Hmm this is pretty much what an Ice Strider hive should look like". Vast underground caverns of ice with connecting tunnels.

I've always imagined Ice Striders to live in a hive, a lair with hidden entrances that are veiled by illusions. The Ice Striders themselves being caste based insectoids having a Queen for breeding/ruling purposes and then many variations on their basic physiology. The higher castes become illusionists and magic users, while the common classes become workers, brood-carers and warriors or scouts.

"Frostweaver" is still one of the most evocative names for me in DAoC. It implies so much and sounds so <cough> cool.

So the hive would be a network of icy tunnels, with traps such as a pit which is solid ice but as soon as adventurers step on it, it turns to water, they fall in, then it freezes instantly again.

I'd have sentinels that walk on the ceiling slowly but can fire freezing magic bolts. Ice Strider Interceptors that come chittering up a tunnel towards you at incredible speed.

Brood chambers where if you don't kill the brood-carers fast enough, the little ones emergency hatch and start to swarm you.

And of course the illusionists. Ice pillars that change into monsters as you pass. Monsters that charge at you then vanish as they hit you, and only then you realise that Chillers and Interceptors are coming from the other way.

False walls that are only revealed if you kill certain illusionists.

And of course the Queen herself. I'd have her able to teleport to any certain control points at any time during a fight, unless you destroyed a magical object at those points. To deal with her, you'd have to stop her from being able to teleport. Naturally, if you fight her, she summons aid. I'd make it possible to close off her chamber, but you'd have to keep repairing the doors or risk getting swarmed.

Stuff like that. Could put in lots more but you get the idea.

The other dungeon for me would be the Black Library but I've already blathered on about it in another thread ages ago.

Smurflord

Fledgling Freddie
Personally I'd live an underground cave/city complex, something akin to the Drow cities in D&D, preferably open to all realms.
As you got deeper it got warmer and warmer, and at the very lowest regions, there would be lava pits, elementals, salamanders etc.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Another rvr dungeon would certainly be fun - altho it seems the frontier dungeon is used more often on US servers after its NF changes, hopefully ppl will use it more here as well.

Hopefully there will be some of the more advanced concepts you described in the new ones anyway :) I think id like to see a mid one that was inhabited by evil player race enemies tho, we already have plenty of monster dungeons.

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
A new undergroup RvR dungeon would be nice, maybe one that was less focues on leveling and farming and more on RvR, with strategic points that can be capture that give access to tunnels etc, resorce areas that can be mined

Afuldan

Fledgling Freddie
New connected dungeon for rvr:

Old frontiers...uh...underground. Yeah.

nOmoreCOAL

Fledgling Freddie
What about a rvr dungeon w artis/ abilities in the end??

Lets say there is a portal to a dungeon acceptin each time 1 fg from all 3 realms. Some type of scrolls should be needed (quest around the realm).They r gonna meet at some point a free 4 all fight last standin wins n goes to the next lvl of the dungeon. The next level has a few special mobs which protect the door portal to lvl3. In lvl 3 another rvr room/ dungeon/ labirinth albs /mids /hibs meet n fight. Next lvl may be underwater or another dimention fightin again mobs. Then again a 3 realm fight etc. That would be about 5 lvls 3 realm fg fights n 5 lvls mobs w special setup not just aggro ( ROLEPLAY ) maybe special abilities. This means that the fg entering the dungeon should win 5 times in a row to reach the bottom of the dungeon. And in the end teh UBER BOSS but not in the sense of insta kill but in a long fight w a special abilities boss ( evade 70%, resist 70%, boss w 7 lives, 7 mirror images, invisibility, traps on floor).
In the end the reward should be an arti of equal value to TOA ones or an 24h timer ability possibly a RA of RR5 from a different class/realm or +10 points for another RA.

There should be 10-20 such dungeons each w different rooms, dungeons, labirinths ,mobs, themes, items n abilities like ancient ruins , a town of a hostile race, undead ( skeleton), undead ( vampire) , elementals, a mirror imagin dungeon were chars fight chars of the same realm!!!!!! ( actual ingame chars as mobs-they just look alike controled by computer-against the chars enterin the dungeon)

In order to avoid abuse of farmin this dungeon ppl cant enter the same dungeon if they killed the big boss, n they cant enter the same dungeon for 1 week or they may enter but they will get a 20 point penalty on all abilities , penalty on resists, skill, hp n power ( EVIL penalty on they height or weight a troll shorter than a luri) 4 each entering b4 the 1 week time.

Thats why i am thinkin of a TimeLapse Dungeon or Hidden Treasures or may this be CATACOMBS itself ;) ( a TOA clone?? but much more fun)

Btw i hold copyrights of this project :drink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom