IDE2 problems

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
ok i transferd all my old gear to my dads new pc. all the ide cables work, all the drivers work, the board worked 4 days ago.

problem is, if anything is plugged into IDE2 then the pc just sticks on "detecting drives" (i think). all the drives work fine on IDE1, all the drives work in pairs on IDE1. all the cables work on each drive on IDE1. as soon as i plug anything into IDE2 the pc will just stick there.

thing is, this board worked fine and i all have done is taken it out of my case and put it into another so i cant see how i would of damaged it. also there is nothing shorting the board out.

i am out of ideas because all the drives and cables work, all i can think is its damaged somehow but it worked a few days ago!

tris-

ok then smart ass , the primary IDE works but the other doesnt :p

tris-

oh why does this happen everytime i post.. ;)

i will list everything then its probably easier that way -
all cables work in different machine, different cables make no different
all drives work in different machine, all drives work on main IDE, all drives work in pairs on main IDE
nothing works in the other IDE, changed drives, cables, jumper settings
board worked a few days ago. nothing is shorting the board out. the board was kept in a box so nothing came in contact to it to cause damage

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Do you have identical settings for each bus in your bios?

tris-

i have settings that worked for a year in the bios ;) but i will check that later on but i dont see why they changed.

clearing cmos is just like when you buy it new and it worked when i bought it new with what ever settings it came with.

last time i looked through though i dont think it was possible to change individual settings for each bus

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Are you using rounded cables? As they have a tendency to f**k up if moved (apparently not as tough as flat ones), I had a similar problem, bought a new HD, and it was the cable all along!

tris-

mate, like i said i have tryed a load of cables. cables i know work. even got some brand new cables that work in my machine but makes no dif to the prob.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Are both drives cable select ? Are you sure both cables are 80 conductors ? Did you check that both IDEs are using ultra DMA mode 2 under autodetect(assuming thats correct for those drives) ? Did you check this in the Bio AND the OS...cp>system>devices>IDE>props....

Did you check the cables ? :D

/seriously...it could be the DMA mode is set wrong....

tris-

there is no OS yet.

oh shit the cables, didnt think of checking them! the drives are set to slave and master.

the thing is..

i unplugged everything except the HDD and left it in primary ide.

i unplugged it from primary ide and put in secondary and it would not boot up. the settings are the same for both chanels. i know from the past that a pc will not stick on detecting drives just because there is no drive in the primary ide.

plus i reset the CMOS which puts it back to settings which work with everything. basically everything suggested i already checked before thanks anyway :D

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
well, bugger me if I know the problem. I had a similar problem a while back...It was the jumper settings on the back of the drive...I had them set to primary/secondary using 80 conductor cables...same thing...hangs for ages on detecting...like say 5 mins...it did however, continue eventually to load the os, eventually. Switching to cable select fixed it. Took me ages to figure out why, coz the slave master settings were technically correct..its just the 80 cables only worked for me with cable select.

I also had the UDMA modes set wrong...

& thats spot on, btw...you should be able to use secondary only

tris-

how do you do cable select and master? with 2 jumpers?

i mean, the HDD works fine on primary one, same cable, jumpers just not secondary. im gonna assume it was solar flare activity damaged the connectors. also aliens involved somewhere and excessive raditation.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Just cable select...no master/slave (sorry...prolly not clear)
i mean, the HDD works fine on primary one, same cable, jumpers just not secondary.

Remember....there IS no spoon !

...besides, its probably just sun spots :eek7: ;)

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
..im gonna assume it was solar flare activity damaged the connectors. also aliens involved somewhere and excessive raditation.

Possibly it was a dry joint or cracked track on / near the IDE header which has finally given up after pushing the cables in and out a few times.. had that on a MoBo a few years back. If you're bored you could pull it all out again and examine the board around the IDE header with a magnifying glass, or just run a soldering iron across the pins and try it again :)

Phil (I knew being an electronics student would come in handy one day..)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Alternatively, you could check the resources that your onboard IDE is using within XP and make sure that none of the associated IRQ information is being used by anything else. Take out EVERY PCI card in the system, fire it up with only graphics (AGP or integrated preferrably, if not bung it into PCI1 first boot, PCI2 on the second) and I reckon if you've got the drives configured correctly the delay may well disappear.

Xav

tris-

windows wasnt even on there at the start, xavier. i tryed any combo you can think of, nowt works so i gave up ;)

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Would offer some advice, but it looks like you've tested every possible thing for faults, leaving only the fact that IDE1 is knackered. Bad luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom