I, Robot

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
It gives me the feeling of "seen it all before".

But there's no doubt i'll still go see it, 'cos it looks quite groovy.

Padwah

Fledgling Freddie
Did we see the same trailer? I saw one on daves trailer page a while ago and it looked terrible and absolutely nothing like any of Asimovs Robot stories :(

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Its not how I imagined it. Looks like MIB to be frank.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
They're bastardising Asimov's stories shat Will Smith can have another film where he says "Damn!" a lot and shots some guns. Wankers!! The producers of this film should be shot.

Padwah

Fledgling Freddie
phew it wasn't just me then!

I just watched the featurette with Alex Provas (here) who I guess is the director and the fat fuck out right admits that the film has nothing to do with the robot books and they've just used the idea of the three (okay four if you're gonna be pedantic) laws of robotics to write a shit hollywood film around.

It's an absolute shame to be honest because they could have made a million and one* films out of the robot series, instead though we've got another crap hollywood summer blockbuster :(

dysfunction

FH is my second home
watched this the other day.

Its not great but it was entertaining...special effects are good with some matrix type stuff added in.

Robots are convincing which is was good.

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Just think of it as another movie thats similar to the book ? :>

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
Never read an Asimov book, could it be that they might not translate to the screen very well?

edit:// Just read a review and I think the main problem could be Will Smith being a shite actor.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Actually, it's pretty good. As far as actiony movies go, it's a laugh - story wise and the whole make you think angle is also pretty decent. Could have been better in a lot of ways, but still good.

I really liked the angle on how viki bended the 3 rules. I think it would have been more though provoking if the film suggested that it might actually be better if the robots governed us, and that actually we were ultimately going to end up destroying ourselves. I also noticed parallels with the current state of affairs - how much freedom do we give up in order to be safe etc.

All in all, I thought it was much better than it could have been.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
harebear said:
Just think of it as another movie thats similar to the book ? :>
is wrong. It's not really "similar". It contains a (very) few things which are similar, but a whole shitload of stuff which entirely goes against the point of Asimov's books. There's a list of similarities here. Essentially, it nicks a bunch of Asimov's ideas and forces them into a story which was written entirely separately and beforehand.
Whipped said:
They're bastardising Asimov's stories shat Will Smith can have another film where he says "Damn!" a lot and shots some guns. Wankers!! The producers of this film should be shot.
I share this sentiment, absolutely. People, go read the books. Asimov was a fantastic writer.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
To be fair it does only claim to be inspired by Asimov, they are harldy claiming to be making a film based on his stories.

I thought it was a higly enjoyable Hollywood blockbuster -definetly the best thing Will Smith has done for a long time.

Padwah

Fledgling Freddie
It's just a shame that they've taken the name of one of Asimovs best known works and created another run of the mill hollywood action film.

Pretty much anyone one of the iRobot stories could have been used as the basis for a film and with the right director would have been excellent. But instead we've got this, damn!

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Ch3tan said:
To be fair it does only claim to be inspired by Asimov
And this is the thing. It wasn't "inspired by" his stuff at all. To quote the Asimov online website:
http://www.asimovonline.com/ said:
The film is billed as "suggested by Isaac Asimov's book", meaning that it incorporates some elements of the robot stories that appeared in Asimov's 1950 short story collection. The film started as a screenplay titled "Hardwired" by screenwriter Jeff Vintar. Then, with the permission of Asimov's estate, the title was changed and the story modified to use some characters and plot elements from Asimov's stories.
If the film actually had been inspired by his stories, it would have been vastly different. It's a shame, though, that "permission of Asimov's estate" presumably implies that the real blame for this crap lies with whoever now runs "Asimov's estate".

Edit - my real objection is simply that the title and affiliation is misleading. A lot of the aspects of the story are simply not things that Asimov would have included in his books at all. They entirely conflict with the point of his stories.

Mr.Bee

Fledgling Freddie
The film is pretty average, not helped by the heat of the theatre either (damn it was like an oven in there)

How many more times are they gonna use the old "bad cop gets suspended and saves the day" cliche :rolleyes:

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Mr.Bee said:
How many more times are they gonna use the old "bad cop gets suspended and saves the day" cliche :rolleyes:

hmm, was wondering if I should watch Arthur or Robot tomorrow... this just decided it :p

Which Asimov book(s) are good to start on btw? ;)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Go see I, Robot. I've not seen Arthur but I'm convinced that you'll have a better time with Will Smith saying "Dayamn" etc. It's a good fun film.

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
Saw it last night. The problem with this film is indeed Will Smith. Its possibly the first time EVER that he's tried NOT playing himself in a movie, and to be honest, he isn't a good enough actor to do it.

The film is by no means bad, and Smith is a hell of a lot better than I thought he would be. I really enjoyed it, and I think the director made a brave attempt at what is essentially a difficult film to make. Asimov it ain't (not that I'd know, mind), but its certainly more cerebral than most of you lot think and definately worth watching.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Will Smith has actually played a guy playing a gay guy, I think, or something like that. He's nothing like he normally is in that one.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Was going to go see it, but a mate told me not to.
He described the movie as "run of the mill look at the nice FX action movie"
"Blatand rape of the I, robot and Azimof his work"

So i guess I'll wait till sameone rents it on DVD

And if they even dare fuckup The Hitchikers Guide movie, I will go postal

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
Good film, but not amazing by a long way.

Was anyone else thinking System Shock as soon as they saw the buildings AI.

As soon as I saw it I knew it was going to be the bad guy, whether that was due to System Shock or the fact the film was so easy to read is another matter.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Ukle, no but now you mention it I do. ;)

Mr.Bee - stop going to cheap cinemas, most have aircon these days. ;)

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Not something I'll watch again :p

Another film which doesn't know if it's meant to be an all-out action movie, or something with a clever plot. Comes out as being neither.

Would've been better with an (18) and lots of blood and stuff.

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
I found the plot almost very good, like you say it was a confused piece of work, but not all bad and it was entertaining.

Durzel

Loyal Freddie
Mr.Bee said:
The film is pretty average, not helped by the heat of the theatre either (damn it was like an oven in there)

OMG totally offtopic but..

Monkey Island avatar for teh win!

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I was surprised by my like for Sunny, normally I can't stand totally 'created' characters as they normally give them cute lovable flaws, but he was in reality very easy to relate to.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Just seen it. I thought it was great! I understand the negativity because of the link with Isaac Asimov, but really, Asimov's books remain unchanged. Nothing this film has done has dented the quality of some of his writing, and it will almost certainly encourage people to read more.

I really enjoyed the ending, and as Wazz says, its difficult not to like Sunny. Really, he was almost HAL 9000 embodied.

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Saw it last night and also thought it was pretty good, I <3 Sunny!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom