i need your help guys

S

scooby-doo

ive just ordered bt broadband and im in need of a liitle help the problem is my comp is about 20 feet from the phone socket(cant get it any closer)and im using a 20 foot length of telephone extension cable to connect my pc to the socket will i still be able to use this with the alcatel modem and filters im getting?and will i be slowed down?
thanks.

T

Testin da Cable

you'll be able to bridge that with a nice bit of cat5 if you will be getting the ethernet modem variant. if the modem is going to be a usb one you may have a slight problem.

[but I never use usb so perhaps there is an extention line of some sort for it heh]

S

scooby-doo

it is a usb modem,come on guys there must be someone here on broadband with a usb modem,and there comp isnt right next to the phonesocket.

S

s-p*

Sounds like a similar set up to my broadband connection.

My only phone socket is downstairs. This is divided into 2 using a splitter. Into one section of the splitter goes the filter. Into the filter goes all my phones and my Sky TV connection. Into the over section of the splitter goes my extension line. The extension line leads up into my bedroom to which the adsl modem (Fujitsu FDX310) connects.

So basically, the collection of stuff from BT Openworld should be more than adequate. I find I can download at 60+kb/s on a good day so the extension cabling doesn't have a bearing on my connection speed. Latency/Ping doesn't seem effected either. Am able to ping to Barrysworld at sub 20ms.

If you need any more help, feel free to ask.

E

Embattle

The extra cable will have no affect as SP said.

D

Dial-A-Rez

Originally posted by scooby-doo
ive just ordered bt broadband and im in need of a liitle help the problem is my comp is about 20 feet from the phone socket(cant get it any closer)and im using a 20 foot length of telephone extension cable to connect my pc to the socket will i still be able to use this with the alcatel modem and filters im getting?and will i be slowed down?
thanks.

I had BTO (USB) installed in May 2001, I asked the engineer if I could move the DSL connection around with a regular telephone extension. The reply was no, no way no how no sir.

He did however make up a 30 meter DSL extension line fitted with sockets and plugs for me at no extra charge, if you ask nicely your engineer may do the same for you.

H

hoggsboss

Re: Re: i need your help guys

Originally posted by Dial-A-Rez

I had BTO (USB) installed in May 2001, I asked the engineer if I could move the DSL connection around with a regular telephone extension. The reply was no, no way no how no sir.

He did however make up a 30 meter DSL extension line fitted with sockets and plugs for me at no extra charge, if you ask nicely your engineer may do the same for you.

yup my nice engineer ran me an extension from the ground floor up to second floor where the pc is, there is a limit to the distance you can have your pc from the main socket tho.

D

Dial-A-Rez

Re: Re: Re: i need your help guys

Originally posted by hoggsboss

yup my nice engineer ran me an extension from the ground floor up to second floor where the pc is, there is a limit to the distance you can have your pc from the main socket tho.

Yeah thinking about it I suppose the extension does add fractionally to the 4.5Kms(? or whatever) radius from the telephone exchange which is the limit for ADSL.
Put it this way I think you'd be very unlucky if you ran into problems using a <30mt extension line.

O

old.Jas

I think that the extension cable would be a lower quality than the cable to your house... maybe thats why they like to limit it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom